Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ-GTi has a mind of its own

Ags

I really like my AZ-GTi - it is precise, stable, small, handy and just all round amazing. But sometimes... it just starts slewing straight downward when it's meant to be doing point-and-track. It's mostly annoying as I can just blindly slew upward until Saturn is back on the  chip, but why does it do this? Is it a known issue? Could it be an electrical fault?

I don't know if it is related, but the mount has a lot of backlash on the Alt axis.

The firmware is up to date. It only seems to happen with point-and-track not when the scope is two-star aligned, so it's probably something in the software / firmware. It happens both with the Synscan Pro Windows app and the Synscan Pro Android App.

10 hours ago, happy-kat said:

I recall reading something about point and track. Is your phone application up to date.

Yes, there were tracking issues with the phone app but I can't remember which version update sorted it. 

I had weird issues a while ago where either the mount wouldn't stop slewing after releasing the direction button or it wouldn't keep tracking after a goto but would track OK on point and track. An app update fixed it. 

A recent version of the app should be OK, though I have to confess that I've moved to a handset because the physical buttons easier to operate without having to look and check you're pressing the right thing. 

The mount does also tend to behave strangely if the power dips. Have you tried a 12v cigarette lighter cord or a power tank? 

• Thanks 1

I have a power tank actually but it feels like off-putting lump with my small and light setup. I've been on the lookout for something unobtrusive I can strap to a tripod leg 😃

8 hours ago, Ags said:

I have a power tank actually but it feels like off-putting lump with my small and light setup. I've been on the lookout for something unobtrusive I can strap to a tripod leg 😃

I know what you mean. I use one of these for that very reason. They are slightly pricey but they are small, light and my one powers the AZGti mount for multiple sessions before needing a recharge. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/celestron-lithium-lifepo4-powertank.html

I did manage to pick mine up from Gus secondhand though. 

Excellent piece of kit and compact enough not to ruin the concept of the tiny mount. 

Edited by AdeKing
Spelling

10 hours ago, Ags said:

You can try the batteries from Tracer. They are very good quality and they sell smaller ones that can power the AZ-GTi for a few nights. The smallest weighs only 360g.

Just add a strap and you're good to go :) 

• Thanks 1

I use a TalentCell Li Ion battery pack to drive a SW 300p GoTo and also the much smaller Az Gti. Works fine and is very small/lightweight. Took it with the Az Gti and Heritage 130p on the plane to the Atacama desert.

• Thanks 1

Either you can align your AZ-GTi on a few stars, then ask it to Goto a target, or you can level your scope, not align it on any stars, point it manually at the target, and ask it it to track the target. I do the latter.There are two buttons labelled "Goto" and "Point and Track" in the Synscan app user interface.

So do you select point and track, manually slew to the object, sit back and expect it to track, but instead it slews in Dec on its own? 

That means it has successfully slewed without running away, so probably not a power issue. 

Also you have successfully done gotos, so power okay. 

If you slew to a target without selecting point and track, does it not still track anyway? 

Michael 

I point at the object and click point and track. The mount tracks perfectly for several minutes, then nosedives.

I don't think there is an option to start tracking without choosing a target first?

Edited by Ags