Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

new to imaging

chris2

HI

very new to imaging, Im after a camera to start me off, thinking second hand to keep cost right down. Had a Meade etx105 which was great but limited (this has long since been sold on) Having 200mm reflector tomorrow on EQ mount. need ideas for cheapest way to dip toe in water so to speak on imaging.

thanks

The cheapest way to "dip your toe in the water" would be a DSLR.  I would suggest you buy one already modified at Cheapastrophotography which many people have used and approved.  He uses new and low shutter count and good condition 2nd hand cameras and modifies them. 

https://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/

With your 200mm scope and a DSLR it should give you a reasonable field of view.

You will also need a guide scope and guide camera.

The next up price wise would be a CMOS camera but I have no experience of these, they are cooled dedicated cameras.  

Carole 

Edited by carastro

If you look to guide you'd need a laptop etc etc.

Using a canon camera like a 600d you could get away with just an intervalometer. If you had an Android tablet then the app dslr controller would help with focusing. Obviously won't be a great as if you were also guiding but it would get you started.

Assuming your mount is tracking at least.

I contented myself with an old digital SLR for about 2 years prior to starting to guide, though this delay was not all my fault. You can get some decent results for a DSLR and many, some of which have answered here help no end with advice, and believe me I needed plenty. You will need a decnt polar alignment if you are going un-guided at first and stick to 30 seconds and experiment to see how goos you can track.

Here is a half reasonable shot I have put 3 hours into on equipment that many have  which will give you an idea of what can be done by even an IT numpty

2140577868_TheeagleNeb3hours.thumb.jpg.c57c421c557402cd6f2a5039717c6ac0.jpg

Alan

• Like 3

Yeah, agree, Dslr modded, I use a fairly old one, lol a Canon 1000d modded but it's great. I'm not brilliant as I'm still getting to grips with things but pleased with the results of a modded dslr. I won't be upgrading anytime soon. Attached are a couple of images I taken (don't laugh) just a snippet of a dslr capability. 

PSX_20190803_145156.jpg

44770194_726615987700071_8785041079217946624_o.jpg

525857585_MosaicLunarEclipseJuly2019.thumb.jpg.d968d59f42aec914bf88b3e391b7b130.jpg

PSX_20190426_154942.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, not new to Astronomy, but I feel that I needed a new slant/interest hence the imaging!

I'll get used to the telescope, mount and drives then off I will go and experiment. It's a shame that Astronomy doesn't have the appeal it used to. As a kid their were several neighbours who were avid astronomers, here I know of no one!!

Impressed with images you have shown me, encourages me to have a go

• Like 1

On 20/08/2019 at 11:16, chris2 said:

Impressed with images you have shown me, encourages me to have a go

Here's another to encourage you.  Done with a DSLR and SW200p scope during my first year of imaging.

You're going to love imaging.  Enjoy the ride! 

John

HorseHead.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Chris. I dont want to spoil your enthusiasm but you will struggle to do astrophography with that scope on an EQ5. That's a lot of scope! Great for observing and great for imaging but it really needs a substantial mount. You can of course still image but you will be limited to shorter exposures. I started off with a 200p and a Canon 600D on an EQ5. It was over 12kg with everything on it. Even with 2 x 5kg weights it was scope heavy.