Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New iOptron GEM45 mount

Space Oddities

4 hours ago, cotak said:

This is a really odd ball marketing strategy. The two are essentially the same with one having 5lb more payload which is nothing at all.

It raised an eye-brow here too...

I guess it shows they haven't abandoned the GEQ design 🙂 

We only recently began stocking iOptron mounts but have watched their progress with interest for several years. From memory, they began making GEQ mounts but were up against Synta (Sky-Watcher & Celestron) who were already very well established. They then appeared to change focus, concentrating mostly on CEM mounts. This made them a genuine and interesting alternative to Synta brands. IOptron now dominate the CEM mount market, and justifiably so. In response Synta are working on their first Sky-Watcher branded CEM mount to be released later this year. And now iOptron have revealed what is essentially a GEQ version of their newest CEM mount (the CEM40) with many of the CEM40's components and design details. 

IOptron say the CEM40 is the first of a new family/design of CEM mounts. More are in the pipeline. If, as it appears, they will also offer GEQ versions then I think they are a force to be reckoned with. 

Steve 

On 17/08/2019 at 12:48, Davey-T said:

iOptron do have a good policy of continuous improvement of their stuff so the later iEQ45 was a big improvement on my original.
Presumably they think there is a market for both and I would certainly consider the latest GEM if buying a new mount.

Dave

Could this be the 'B' side of, 'They have a bad policy of introducing new products too quickly and having to sort them out later?' 

To answer Steve FLO's question, my purely personal feeling is one of nervousness at the frequency with which new models appear. However, the CEMs have been well reviewed by owners on here, many of whom have posted impressive guide graphs. If looking to replace our EQ sixes I'd certainly be looking at the CEMs.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Could this be the 'B' side of, 'They have a bad policy of introducing new products too quickly and having to sort them out later?' 

Better than those manufacturers that ignore complaints about dodgy designs and bury their heads in the sand hoping they'll go away if they ignore them 😂 and not just astro' stuff

Dave

• Like 1

On 17/08/2019 at 11:37, FLO said:

What is the current thinking at SGL towards iOptron GEM mounts please? (Currently we stock iOptron’s CEM, AZ & tracker mounts but we have access to the full range). In particular, how do they compare to Sky-Watcher’s GEQ mounts? 

Steve 

I've got an IEQ30PRO Pro which I've had for a few years. It works well as my travelling mount as it's light and I always felt the guiding was better than my eq6. I got it when I rejected an IEQ30 which had issue with the Dec axis kept failing. After the third time I switched.  I do DSO imaging.

One of the best things about the IEQ30Pro is the speed at which it acquires the gps fix which is important for a travelling mount, given that the other mounts don't list any of the places I go to!

My husband has an older IEQ45 which he has been very happy with. He has it in the altaz mode, which he uses for 6 inch  and 60mm  refractors mounted either size. He also mounts a modified PST utilising a large refractor (about 140mm and very long). He does video astronomy.

We've both been very happy with our mounts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/08/2019 at 11:37, FLO said:

What is the current thinking at SGL towards iOptron GEM mounts please? (Currently we stock iOptron’s CEM, AZ & tracker mounts but we have access to the full range). In particular, how do they compare to Sky-Watcher’s GEQ mounts? 

Steve 

I currently have an NEQ6, but have a feeling there might be something wrong with the RA axis. It did not rotate cleanly when last used around January but I didn't have time to work it out. If it is damaged - it is quite a few years old and lived outdoors all its life - then I need to consider either repair or replace. Due to age and payload, I would favour the replacement route.

I have been unhappy with the tightness of the SW axis and the effort required to balance the mount. Not just the NEQ6, but a couple of EQ3-2's a HEQ5 and I am now considering the new EQM-35. which I understand also has the tight axis problem. So if the price point of this new GEM is reasonable, it would be my first choice in a replacement.

Now, looking at the photograph, am I the only one to see a lot of resemblance to the Paramount?

Gordon.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have been speaking with iOptron today regarding the new GEM45 mount. I don't think they will mind me sharing this from them: 

"Around six months ago iOptron rolled out the CEM40 and CEM40EC mounts.  Both were well received and continue to rise in demand and unit sales.  Initially our thoughts were the CEM40 would directly replace the successful recently discontinued iEQ45 Pro.  As inquiries for iEQ45 Pro’s availability or its German eq replacement continued flowing in, we realized there was still strong interest for a German eq mount in the 45lb payload range.  Consumers and dealers residing at higher latitudes expressed their need for a mount able to function in such areas.  Others simply were more comfortable with the German eq design.  To address the opportunity presented, iOptron engineers looked at our CEM40 and realized many of its subcomponents could be used in creating an improved and modern GEM. The GEM45 and GEM45 represent the results of their vision."

The iOptron GEM45 & iOptron GEM45EC mounts are now officially released. We shall add them to our website Monday and to our next stock order. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 3

I started with an NEQ6 Pro which rapidly needed a belt mod to get it working reasonably well. Later I had an iOptron iEQ45 Pro, that mount purred in comparison and I now have a CEM 60 Standard which is performing better still. The new GEM 45 seems to be a progression in the '45' range. Interesting.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

For my sins I have one incoming, courtesy FLO, hopefully next week :biggrin:. Now I'm not in the habit of being an early adopter, it's not in my psyche, but given the self-imposed isolation I thought it would give me something to get my teeth into, even though we are heading towards the less favourable time of year for imaging. I needed an EQ mount that would take a 10kg load for imaging, but was light enough for my aging frame to carry from it's storage in the house and set up each time in the garden. I wasn't so keen on the CEM40 because of its geometry, as I am pretty much limited to southerly views.

Don't expect a detailed critique though, as this is my first EQ mount and I've a lot to learn, having spent all my time so far imaging with an Alt-Az mount (ha-ha, Olly should be pleased to have another convert to what he would probably call a "proper" mount :wink2:).

Wish me luck. Ian

Edited by The Admiral
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/03/2020 at 09:48, The Admiral said:

For my sins I have one incoming, courtesy FLO, hopefully next week :biggrin:. Now I'm not in the habit of being an early adopter, it's not in my psyche, but given the self-imposed isolation I thought it would give me something to get my teeth into, even though we are heading towards the less favourable time of year for imaging. I needed an EQ mount that would take a 10kg load for imaging, but was light enough for my aging frame to carry from it's storage in the house and set up each time in the garden. I wasn't so keen on the CEM40 because of its geometry, as I am pretty much limited to southerly views.

Don't expect a detailed critique though, as this is my first EQ mount and I've a lot to learn, having spent all my time so far imaging with an Alt-Az mount (ha-ha, Olly should be pleased to have another convert to what he would probably call a "proper" mount :wink2:).

Wish me luck. Ian

Looking forward to your initial comments Ian, I am in the market for a new mount and am undecided between the Cem40 & Gem40, have had some discussions with Ian @FLO which has led me to these 2 items

On 16/04/2020 at 06:44, Autoglassman said:

Looking forward to your initial comments Ian, I am in the market for a new mount and am undecided between the Cem40 & Gem40, have had some discussions with Ian @FLO which has led me to these 2 items

You can find my initial experience on this mount here: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/352386-some-thoughts-on-the-new-ioptron-gem45/?tab=comments#comment-3836371

Ian

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello there,

if I understand correctly, the GEM45EC  offers an RA encoder. My question is, where is this useful and it's worth a thousand additional EUR compared to the standard version?

Also, I am thinking that it would be a nice combo with the portable tri-pier, but I am still a HEQ5 guy so what do I know? 🙂

Cheers,

N.F.