Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LunarMap HD

Stu

I was looking for a better Lunar map on my phone the other night, and discovered this app, LunarMap HD which provides excellent zoomable maps and charts. The only thing it doesn't do which I would like, is show the terminator in relief rather than just as a line. There is an iOS app call Moon Phase Photo Maps which does this very well but it doesn't seem to be on Android unfortunately. A couple of screen shots attached.

Screenshot_20190811-193210.jpg

Screenshot_20190811-193352.jpg

Screenshot_20190811-194355_Google Play Store.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Not totally sure how I found this, but I was searching on the web for an Android version of the Photo Maps App, and stumbled across this website which I think contains the original images so I can easily use these from my phone when is great. There are binocular view ones, and ones for left-right reversed. I guess you can rotate them for Newt view. A very handy site with plenty more info on it if you have a look around.

http://www.derekscope.co.uk/moon-phases-maps-for-binocular-view/

http://www.derekscope.co.uk/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Great links, Stu and thank you for posting them up. The Moon maps are excellent and will really help with visual work. It's clear out tonight but its late now - had a busy house clean Sunday - so if clear tomorrow, I'm going to put these maps to some good use :thumbright:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rob Sellent said:

Great links, Stu and thank you for posting them up. The Moon maps are excellent and will really help with visual work. It's clear out tonight but its late now - had a busy house clean Sunday - so if clear tomorrow, I'm going to put these maps to some good use :thumbright:

Good luck Rob 👍

Just noticed, at the bottom there is an Apollo Archive link to some wonderful pictures, well worth a browse.

• Thanks 1

LunarMap HD is my go to resource during my outings, I like the fact you can click on a feature and it tells you some basic information, such as length of feature or diameter, origin of name and location etc..

It used to be linked to something called the moon wiki, which would open another browser page and give real in depth detail, origin, geology, name sake, feature information and obiter photo's but alas that part has since been closed by wikispaces.. bit of a disappointment that..

thanks for sharing the Derek view website @Stu, will have a look at that..

Ta

Fozzie

• Like 1

For the iPad my favourite is Moon Atlas by Julian James.

Like the way the terminator is shown and easy to setup to match your view through the eyepiece. Lots of info as well and you can select which features are labeled

A81E9CD3-FCF5-4C5E-B9B3-27F99EFA00CA.png

4ECBCBE5-0817-400E-9764-5EA854AD6949.png

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Just now, kirkster501 said:

....sent before I finished.  I use Moon Phase Photo Maps.  similar to Derek's website.  You can match the view through the scope and have red light view to protect your eyes.

Yes, it's a good one, just a shame it is not on Android which is why I'm pleased to find the Derekscope web site which seems to contain the original files.

It's the realistic view of the terminator which I like in these images, plenty of lunar atlases out there which just put a line down the map, like the Moon Atlas which John posted but I find the realistic images much easier to work with 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

My fav Moon app for Android is Moon Atlas 3D

Lots of useful functionality and high quality images of the Moon.

CS, Andy1491562909_Screenshot_20190812-123215_GooglePlayStore.jpg.b13e087fd43d480ceafbe25897895e81.jpg

Yes, I have that one too!

Think I still prefer the one I posted up about though. Lots of choice out there which is great

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stu said:

plenty of lunar atlases out there which just put a line down the map, like the Moon Atlas which John posted but I find the realistic images much easier to work with 

You should take a better look. The terminator is illuminated in a realistic manner and not just a straight line. 

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

You should take a better look. The terminator is illuminated in a realistic manner and not just a straight line. 

Well to be fair John, the thread was about Android alternatives to iOS apps which I enjoyed using, so I can't actually do that! I was going off the images you posted.

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, Older Padawan said:

Just curious, do any of these maps show Mt. Marion and does anyone besides Jim Lovell know exactly where it is. Just curious

Do you mean Mount Marilyn? Can't find references to Marion anywhere.

From what I can see in this link, it is near the crater Secchi, and is outlined in red in the image from Lunar map HD but is not named as it has never been recognised.

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-100813a.html

20191203_112335.jpg