Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

If you went back to just 1 scope, what would it be?

Alan White

With just one scope the sensible thing is to for an all rounder of the best quality affordable many of which have been suggested. Of the "all rounder" scopes I have owned the Skywatche 150p f5 and the ED100 fit that bill but things are not that easy because my Tal100r is the most "satisfying" scope I have owned so I would go with that. There is just that something that makes it pleasing to own and use. On that basis the Tal100rs would be nice or maybe a Lyra

• Like 2

I think the choice depends on the reason why one can only have one telescope. 

Portability? Finance? Storage? Location? Etc.

Rethinking about this, I would give different answers...

• Like 1

I originally thought the choice would be difficult, but, being a lunar and planetary observer first and foremost, my big 5" f15 refractor is the perfect tool for the job, and it does not need to be portable.....:smiley:

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ags said:

5"F15 - it must be enormous!

Hi Agnes,

The tube is 6" diameter and it is a big beast , but very beautiful !

It is shown on the thread " If you had only one mount, which would it be and why ".:smiley:

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 1

One of the interesting things about the question being asked here is that it gets you to think about a single scope that will do a wide range of things pretty well. Because many of us now own a number of scopes, each with it's own strengths and weaknesses, selecting one from your current collection may well not tick enough boxes to be a sole instrument because it was never chosen for that role in the first place, but for something more specific.

Thats why, when I replied, I went for a scope that is not one of the ones that I currently own but something that stands a decent chance of ticking as many amateur observing boxes as possible. The sort of scope that I owned when I did have to pursue the hobby with a single instrument in fact :smiley:

• Like 1

@John you describe the very thoughts I had before I put this post up.

I thought we would all find answering it difficult, some have found it painfully so.

The thread makes us aware that one scope does not do all, otherwise we would all have that one scope.

However as we all have differing interests and requirements of our equipment, then that field of must enlarge, for some to a very big selection or collection - kit is in itself nice to own and admire and sometimes use.

• Like 2