NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter and Saturn 3 July 2019

geoflewis

Hi all,

I made several attempts to capture Jupiter last week after a fairly successful run on 28 June, but mostly the results were terrible, despite views at the eyepiece being passably good and for brief moments very good. The best session turned out to be on 3 July, when I also captured my first images this year of Saturn.

The below Jupiter images are a stack of 6 x R-G-B runs and for comparison, a stack of 3 x IR (742nm) runs. The data in each of the separate videos had to be handled quite delicately and I maybe pushed the IR data a bit more than the RGB, but at 15 degrees and in poor to fair seeing it is what it is. The images are displayed south up.

2103900254_Jupiter_2019July3_22303_gdbl_rgbIR.thumb.jpg.eed7f8e14681a15f10542629313b63f6.jpg

By the time I'd completed the Jupiter runs, Saturn was gaining altitide so I had my first run at it this year. Cassini was clearly visible in the eyepiece and well resolved on screen in the red channel, less so in green and barely at all in blue. I attempted to sharpen the final image by layering a stack of the R+G data as a luminance using 60% opacity.

Saturn_2019July3_23460_gdbl_lrgb.jpg.a8f08dd7abb29efcfe3bc8c57bdaa47f.jpg

What surpised me was how much the ring system has closed since last year. For comparison I have attached below my best Saturn image from 2018, captured at a similar altitude, but in better seeing, which clearly shows the ring system extending above and below Saturn's globe.

1871595347_Saturn5Aug2018.jpg.0c2e65da2b67965ecbdeda0bb833251e.jpg

Both Saturn images are displayed north up.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers, Geof

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 10

Thanks Steve,

Good luck with the prodding and poking 😀. I'm not sure if I'll continue with planetary imaging much longer this year. I stuck with it last year hoping that Mars would come good, but there some summer DSOs that I'd like to capture that I haven't looked at for a few years due to me mainly focusing on planetary imaging from late April through early September. I'll let this Moon cycle clear out of the way, then probably switch cameras as we move back towards fully dark skies again.

Geof

25 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks Steve,

Good luck with the prodding and poking 😀. I'm not sure if I'll continue with planetary imaging much longer this year. I stuck with it last year hoping that Mars would come good, but there some summer DSOs that I'd like to capture that I haven't looked at for a few years due to me mainly focusing on planetary imaging from late April through early September. I'll let this Moon cycle clear out of the way, then probably switch cameras as we move back towards fully dark skies again.

Geof

I know how you feel, it seems a dead loss at the moment. I have banished the C11 back to the cupboard -again.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

cracking shots Geof, mighty detail mate. well done. charl.

Thanks Charl,

Not sure about 'mighty detail', but any detail is good to see from this far north.....😌

Cheers, Geof

• Like 1