NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can I use SGPro with raspberry pi 4?

blinky

I am quite excited by the specs of the new Pi4 but having just invested in buying and learning SGPro I dont want to dump it. Is there any way to have sgpro connect in a client / server fashion to a Pi4 and still retain all its functions?

No, SGPro is a Windows app only, for the Pi4 you'd be better off going Indi\Ekos, but natively that works best on Ubuntu Mate, which has yet to release a version compatible with the Pi4.

In future, it may be possible to run Windows IoT on the Pi4, which may allow the running of SGPro, but somehow I doubt it.....

NO.. and as far as I can see when I read about using the Raspberry Pi for astro when you have a dedicated astro laptop of computer, is that using a Pi is just another piece of equipment in the chain, another link for something to go wrong and I do see how it would make astronomy/astrophotography easier or more reliable.

• Confused 1

Not if the Pi\Rock64\SBC's do all the work & the laptop is just used as a 'monitor', it's how I use mine.

Yes I could\can run SGPro on the laptop, but it's much easier to just run power & network (I prefer GB wired, as I save the image files remotely to a NAS), which means all USB leads are as short as possible, thereby getting rid of the major bugbears ......

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

NO.. and as far as I can see when I read about using the Raspberry Pi for astro when you have a dedicated astro laptop of computer, is that using a Pi is just another piece of equipment in the chain, another link for something to go wrong and I do see how it would make astronomy/astrophotography easier or more reliable.

Absolute tosh....

the rpi is far better than using a windows laptop in my opinion, and far more reliable, and with the new PI4, it’s powerful enough to run the whole kit, using INdI and Kstars / Ekos.

I suggest you try it before making thee comments.. :)

• Like 1

If SGP will work as an INdI client, the. Yes it would work well as Indi sits on the rpi and SGP on your laptop, if it will not work with INdI then no.....I don’t use SGP so not sure if it has INdI client capabilities or not.. :)

1 minute ago, StarDodger said:

Absolute tosh....

the rpi is far better than using a windows laptop in my opinion, and far more reliable, and with the new PI4, it’s powerful enough to run the whole kit, using INdI and Kstars / Ekos.

I suggest you try it before making thee comments.. :)

I disagree... I did look into it, the whole "control" computer in a small package that I could just VNC into... this was appealing but I have my system working how I like it, its stable and I'm going to give Pi a miss.... perhaps later a Pi like device will be made that windows compatible, or when I need to upgrade than a mini PC kind of setup looks more attractive to me.

Look, everyone to their own.... would be boring if everyone had the same interests and equipment.

4 minutes ago, StarDodger said:

If SGP will work as an INdI client, the. Yes it would work well as Indi sits on the rpi and SGP on your laptop, if it will not work with INdI then no.....I don’t use SGP so not sure if it has INdI client capabilities or not.. :)

Ultimately a RP is still more gear in the chain... and SP pro is still running on "dreaded" windows... might be beneficial if USB cables need to be so long that they are problematic and you can use a RPi as a "buffer"... but than you can also setup USB over ethernet.... more than one way to skin a cat, really... all to their own.

1 minute ago, MarsG76 said:

I disagree... I did look into it, the whole "control" computer in a small package that I could just VNC into... this was appealing but I have my system working how I like it, its stable and I'm going to give Pi a miss.... perhaps later a Pi like device will be made that windows compatible, or when I need to upgrade than a mini PC kind of setup looks more attractive to me.

Look, everyone to their own.... would be boring if everyone had the same interests and equipment.

I think the problem is you made the comments after "look into it" - not the same as actually using it.

You can of course use a super mini to run Windows and mount this on your OTA - it will run and work perfectly. But the cost £500 plus  for the privilege.

You are 100% correct with the statement "each to their own" 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stash_old said:

You are 100% correct with the statement "each to their own"

Yeah exactly... Its just a hobby not a religion.. just do what keeps people happy and satisfied in amateur astronomy, even if its of differing opinions...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Yeah exactly... Its just a hobby not a religion.. just do what keeps people happy and satisfied in amateur astronomy, even if its of differing opinions...

Totally agree....but try it before dissing it...that’s all I am saying...rather than going just by what you read.. :)

I need to replace 6 small PC's/laptops, but I'm not going to.
I will instead replace these old P4 PC's with RPi4 and install an OS on them.
All these individual PC's run one application only. So there's in fact no need to replace them with expensive machines.
I'll go for the 4Gb RPi4 version(to be on the save side).

Saves me LOTS of money.
I already have one RPi3 running, installed Pronterface on it and it works just fine for 3D-printing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StarDodger said:

Totally agree....but try it before dissing it...that’s all I am saying...rather than going just by what you read.. :)

Never know what I might do in the future.. but right now I'm happy with what I have.. the only thing I can do with more is telescope time....

I don't know SGPro but KStars/Ekos/INDI does the lot as far as astro imaging goes and it's free.  Raspberry Pi on the mount with very short USB cables and only power cable goes to power supply system in warm room.  For DSO imaging I find WiFi adequate but for planetary or Ha solar a Gigabit Ethernet connection would be required (or local mass storage).

• Like 1

CCDciel is fast catching up on Ekos/Kstars IMO and it isn't locked down to just one O/S. It can give a far simply and cleaner approach to Astrophotography than Ekos/Kstars ("the kray twins") and its sequencer is looking very very good. If Peter(CDC / CCdCiel creator) keeps this up I will be binning Kstars/Ekos.

It also allows you total freedom to mix and match by running on any O/S as far as I can make out and interfacing with Ascom or Indi or both (just wish native Indigo was part of it) - will be giving Astro nuts plenty of options for the future no doubt.

I hear he is even working on an anti cloud machine 🙂 LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, stash_old said:

CCDciel is fast catching up on Ekos/Kstars IMO and it isn't locked down to just one O/S. It can give a far simply and cleaner approach to Astrophotography than Ekos/Kstars ("the kray twins") and its sequencer is looking very very good. If Peter(CDC / CCdCiel creator) keeps this up I will be binning Kstars/Ekos.

It also allows you total freedom to mix and match by running on any O/S as far as I can make out and interfacing with Ascom or Indi or both (just wish native Indigo was part of it) - will be giving Astro nuts plenty of options for the future no doubt.

I hear he is even working on an anti cloud machine 🙂 LOL

Ekos/kstars is available on windows (and mac, I believe), not just Linux. CCDCiel is a viable alternative.

INDI is gaining momentum as an alternative to ASCOM, and I think that all major astro software will start supporting it in the not so distant future. More freedom to all of us.

But for now, SGPro does not run on a RPi 4. Laptops and sbc's have totally different architecture, and even if RPi may have windows as an os some day, then still you won't be able to run just any windows software on it.

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

Ekos/kstars is available on windows (and mac, I believe), not just Linux.

You are of course correct - I have run Ekos/Kstars on Windows.  

Native Windows desktop on a RPI4 - I will win the EU lottery first LOL 🙂

40 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Native Windows desktop on a RPI4 - I will win the EU lottery first LOL 🙂

Without a lottery win: Windows (remote) desktop into the pi. 😉