Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Copy Paste

alan potts

Has anyone ever tried to copy paste raw data from a camera and what is the effect on stacking copied frames. I feel it can be done easily enough but what are the pros and cons or does the likes of DSS just ignore copied frames as they would be exactly the same as a frame already stacked?

Alan

Isn't the idea of stacking that each image will be minutely different from asmospherics/seeing etc etc and the stacking of minutely different images makes for a smoother image.  At least that's how I understand it.  Otherwise what would be the point of doing hours and hours of data.  Stacking identical data won't do the same. 

Carole 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, alan potts said:

Has anyone ever tried to copy paste raw data from a camera and what is the effect on stacking copied frames. I feel it can be done easily enough but what are the pros and cons or does the likes of DSS just ignore copied frames as they would be exactly the same as a frame already stacked?

Alan

Wouldn’t it be great if it was that easy...mind you it would also be very boring... 😀

• Like 2

As above but you can sometimes used copied frames to enhance an image by manipulating the copied layers for example....

A layer can have a blur effect added to improve noise.

A layer can have star shapes enhanced.

A layer can have all the stars removed and smoothed to produce a gradient layer.

A layer can be split into RGB and each colour modified independently then reassembled.

The results from the changes made above can be stacked or blended together in PS or similar to produce the final image.

I have used similar techniques on some planetary images too where the blue channel was very noisy.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 3

Can't you tell my weather is awful again, never tried it but was just wondering, to pick up Peter's point about copying noise, yes you would but surely you would also copy brighter data adding to the stars and whatever, then one would remover the noise.

Alan

5 hours ago, carastro said:

Isn't the idea of stacking that each image will be minutely different from asmospherics/seeing etc etc and the stacking of minutely different images makes for a smoother image.  At least that's how I understand it.  Otherwise what would be the point of doing hours and hours of data.  Stacking identical data won't do the same. 

Carole 

Yes, the same noise from one sub will not help the SNR.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, alan potts said:

Can't you tell my weather is awful again, never tried it but was just wondering, to pick up Peter's point about copying noise, yes you would but surely you would also copy brighter data adding to the stars and whatever, then one would remover the noise.

Alan

No, it does not work like that, why would you be copying  brighter data, ?? you are copying the same image so the data won’t be any brighter...

If you add one identical image to another whether it be astro or any other, you still have exactly the same image...like I said before, nice try.. 😀😀

2 hours ago, StarDodger said:

No, it does not work like that, why would you be copying  brighter data, ?? you are copying the same image so the data won’t be any brighter...

If you add one identical image to another whether it be astro or any other, you still have exactly the same image...like I said before, nice try.. 😀😀

It was purely something that crossed mind as the storms for the day started, we are now in the middle of the 5th one and 65mm of rain, not much chance of adding any data today, at such times minds go to shortcuts.

Alan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

If it's any consolation the weather here is just the same.

Peter

So I understand Peter, really terrible here for a while now, so use to getting a lot of clear sky. Yes we normally get storms at this time but clear nights after, not playing ball at all this year

Alan