NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Teleportation of humans - will it ever be possible?

I'm sure they could use those quantum entangled thingummies that can connect with each other instantly no matter how far apart they are, maybe start with that blokes cat :grin:

Dave

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

This lends it self for very nice Sci-Fi plot - what would happen if information is stolen in transit? Due to finite speed of teleportation, there exists a time period where person is existing only as "in-flight" information (again, intriguing thought about quantum information and existence - we are all nothing more than information?). What would happen if "kidnappers" should intercept teleportation beam and "kidnap" person being teleported for ransom? We could expand the plot by leaking some of the "person information" into environment branching to either weird effects that would produce in the world around us, or epic tale of trying to "gather oneself across the universe" :D .

Or your information being manipulated and modified in transit by request - "free health scan and upgrade on your trip sir?", "What colour hair would you like when you get there?"

The beach body could be an optional extra for when you go on holiday! ??

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Even if it were possible to teleport in lab conditions, Star Trek shows people being beamed down to a determined place.   There is no equipment to reconstruct the teleported object at that place.  

Maybe they could tunnel through Space Time, from the Transportation room send the body through that tunnel and the tunnel emerges at a predefined place that the Enterprise programs on that given body?  Pure science fiction of course but  in the absence of reconstruction equipment that must be the way...?!

How far can we go in our speculations, or have we already crossed that line :D ?

Mass/energy equivalence principle? Why not use high powered gamma ray lasers (would like to see lens used to focus those) to create particle / antiparticle pairs and then annihilate antiparticles with ambient air to create space for quantum teleportation reconstruction and use remaining particles and annihilation energy to do so?

• Haha 1

While Einstein considered time to be illusory there are now theoretical physicists exploring the notion that it is space which is really illusory. If so, are we not already at the place to which we want to be teleported?

Olly

• Thanks 1

I think we've solved this in at least three different universes.

In first universe, where warp drive exists, teleportation works like this:

Gravity lens are used to focus gamma ray energy to create / annihilate matter and also to transport information for quantum teleportation. Visible light / air glow commonly associated with teleportation is nothing more than Cherenkov radiation.

In second universe, where improbability drive exists - we simply alter probability field and corresponding particles jump to their new location with great certainty (warning, teleportation can cause side effects in approx 1 in 1,000,000 cases).

Then there is universe where there is traveling without moving - so nothing to solve there.

39 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Maybe we could all share the Nobel Prize here guys by solving this conundrum? ;) 

Let's not try to run before we can walk, we should crack time travel first :grin:

Dave

• Like 2

Ok take it at face value . No quantum process could be used as anything the size of a human could  not escape environmental decoherence. Even the 400 CMB photons per cm3 could/would be enough.

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s

The way teleportation works on my ship is very similar to the replicators, an object is scanned and information sent to what is basically a giant quantum/atomic/molecular/organic printer that reproduces the original object from the information sent. The printer itself contains all the elements held in plasma form and banks of organic compounds. 

I am sure you humans will develop devices to send/replicate complex items or even organic compounds/medicines and of course food items.

Alan

In the news scientists have sent a quantum bit into the future and bought it back, only a few millionths of a second though but you have to start somewhere, Confucius say journey of a thousand miles starts with one step :grin:

Dave

• Like 1

22 hours ago, andrew s said:

Is this thread in the science subsection or the science fiction subsection? ?

Not that I mind one way or the other.

Regards  Andrew 

It's hard to separate our ideas of what it would be like having been so heavily influence by science fiction. Star Trek has already been mentioned - not a big Trekkie myself but I understand that the concept was introduced as a theatrical device to get round the problem of getting the Enterprise crew to the surface of a planet without having to physically fly (de orbit etc). The time that this conventional method would take in proportion to an episode length was considered too high and also overly repetitive in each episode. So the famous Star Trek teleportation was born.

Teleportation has featured in science fiction elsewhere but my favourite involves a rather macabre twist regarding an unexpected side effect to teleportation. The movie is "The Prestige" (Michael Kane, Hugh Jackman, David Bowie): rather good movie but I won't spoil it should anyone want to watch it.   

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1

I think, though I am not sure, that Alfred Bester is credited with "inventing" the idea of teleportation in his story "Tiger, Tiger" (or "The Stars My Destination").  He called it "jaunting".  I've not read it for years.  Decades, even.  I shall add it (and "The Demolished Man") to my holiday reading list.  I think the same name for teleportation was used in the television series "The Tomorrow People" (who remembers that?), but I'm a bit vague on that one.

James

Edited by JamesF
  • Like 1

There's an interesting discussion of teletransportation in the philosopher Derek Parfit's book 'Reasons and Persons'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasons_and_Persons

also discussed here:

https://www3.nd.edu/~jspeaks/courses/2007-8/20229/_HANDOUTS/personal-identity-teletransport-split-brain.pdf

which raises all sorts of issues about personal identity. Its an excellent book about what it means to have continuity of identity (mind and body) when cells are being replaced etc.

Martin

56 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I think, though I am not sure, that Alfred Bester is credited with "inventing" the idea of teleportation in his story "Tiger, Tiger" (or "The Stars My Destination").  He called it "jaunting".  I've not read it for years.  Decades, even.  I shall add it (and "The Demolished Man") to my holiday reading list.  I think the same name for teleportation was used in the television series "The Tomorrow People" (who remembers that?), but I'm a bit vague on that one.

James

The Tomorrow People was one of my favourite TV programmes as a kid. I can't remember if they could teleport but they could talk to each other via "thought" and over a distance.   What was the central premise - was it that they were the next evolutionary step, or something similar? There was a modern remake of it (USA) need to look it out; also the original episodes are available of You Tube.  :) 

Jim 

Edited by saac

14 minutes ago, Martin Meredith said:

There's an interesting discussion of teletransportation in the philosopher Derek Parfit's book 'Reasons and Persons'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasons_and_Persons

also discussed here:

https://www3.nd.edu/~jspeaks/courses/2007-8/20229/_HANDOUTS/personal-identity-teletransport-split-brain.pdf

which raises all sorts of issues about personal identity. Its an excellent book about what it means to have continuity of identity (mind and body) when cells are being replaced etc.

Martin

Well that is the question  - where does the consciousness reside (I believe neuroscientists  are still debating  ) and of course what of the soul.  The better science fiction story's explore these themes regarding teleportation rather than having it as a mode of transport. 

Jim 

3 minutes ago, saac said:

Well that is the question  - where does the consciousness reside (I believe neuroscientists  are still debating  ) and of course what of the soul.  The better science fiction story's explore these themes regarding teleportation rather than having it as a mode of transport. 

Jim 

In the end I take comfort in the idea that we are all just density fluctuations in quantum fields with arbitrary boundaries. 🐳

All in all it's just another brick in the wall.

Regards Andrew 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saac said:

The Tomorrow People was one of my favourite TV programmes as a kid. I can't remember if they could teleport but they could talk to each other via "thought" and over a distance.   What was the central premise - was it that they were the next evolutionary step, or something similar? There was a modern remake of it (USA) need to look it out; also the original episodes are available of You Tube.  :) 

Jim 

Mine too :)  I think you're right about the central premise, but I struggle to remember much of it now.  I'm sure they could teleport, as I can't recall any other way they got into their "home base".  I shall look it up on Wikipedia :D

I had no idea the originals were on youtube.  I shall have to look them out.  Something else to stack up for when I'm on holiday in the summer, perhaps.

James

2 hours ago, andrew s said:

In the end I take comfort in the idea that we are all just density fluctuations in quantum fields with arbitrary boundaries. 🐳

All in all it's just another brick in the wall.

Regards Andrew 

Andrew yes but remember your Animal Farm - some density fluctuations in the quantum field with arbitrary boundaries are more equal than others. :) 

Jim 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Mine too :)  I think you're right about the central premise, but I struggle to remember much of it now.  I'm sure they could teleport, as I can't recall any other way they got into their "home base".  I shall look it up on Wikipedia :D

I had no idea the originals were on youtube.  I shall have to look them out.  Something else to stack up for when I'm on holiday in the summer, perhaps.

James

James you are right they could teleport by touching their belt buckle they called it Jaunting - I've just watched the first episode on you tube. The theme tune is amazing brought back so many memories.  I'm not embarrassed to say that as a kid I wanted to be a Tomorrow Person. Now look at me,  I am one (minus the special powers) :) 

Jim 

13 minutes ago, saac said:

Andrew yes but remember your Animal Farm - some density fluctuations in the quantum field with arbitrary boundaries are more equal than others. :) 

Jim 

Must be fermions in charge and bosons workers!

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 1