Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyWatcher support-really as bad as they say..

I e-mailed SkyWatcher on support@skywatcher.com some 2 weeks ago about selling EQ6, AZ-EQ6 or EQ6-R on amazon..I saw they have AZ-EQ5 and EQ6-R, but EQ6-R is out of stock and still says on amazon "We don't know when will this item be available again."

Is support@skywatcher.com the right email? They dont have any other email lol..or maaybe someone knows when the named items will be back on stock? :)

Why don't you contact the site sponcer First Light Optics, they will ship abroad though a mount will be fairly pricey to ship, I wouldn't buy something like this from Amazon, there customer service is impossible to contact as far as I am concerned and have had many problems with items from them. If something goes wrong with it you will be left holding the baby as far I see it. Or you could contact other outlets but not Amazon

Interesting that your experiences with Amazon have been the total oposite of mine. Always found their customer service to be excellent but that is in the UK. Contacted their customer service recently about an incorrect item shipped and had the problem sorted within minutes and got the correct item the next day. 

6 hours ago, serbiadarksky said:

I e-mailed SkyWatcher on support@skywatcher.com some 2 weeks ago about selling EQ6, AZ-EQ6 or EQ6-R on amazon..I saw they have AZ-EQ5 and EQ6-R, but EQ6-R is out of stock and still says on amazon "We don't know when will this item be available again."

Is support@skywatcher.com the right email? They dont have any other email lol..or maaybe someone knows when the named items will be back on stock? :)

Is the problem more with Amazon rather than Skywatcher ?  Have you tried a local retailer ?

I've always found emails to Skywatcher get ignored or, if in luck, get answered 3 months down the line. Amazon are pretty good, but you have to search really hard to find their chat facility! FLO are good, as are Rother and Telescopehouse.

I've never had a reply from Skywatcher - but they dont really "exist" do they? I suppose skywatcher as an entity is mostly just "put shiny black and green on that scope over there", its all just part of the Synta umbrella (ok I'm maybe being a bit glib but you get my point hopefully). OVL Uk are probably the best people to ask as the UK distributers. Or better yet someone like FLO or RVO

Never had an issue with Amazon either, they're usually pretty great - as long as its actually Amazon that you are dealing with. Some of the sellers on there can be a bit hit or miss.

47 minutes ago, serbiadarksky said:

Anyway, is the AZ-EQ5 enough to hold a 200/800 f4 skywatcher newton with guiding and a 1300D dslr? For AP the payload is 15kg.

I would never even venture to place an 8" newt OTA close to an AZ-EQ5 and whisper astrophoto... Let alone with equipment. 

Seriously, for astrophoto I consider the 6" 150pds to be the safe limit for my HEQ5... maybe a bit conservative, but i have had enough headaches. 

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

Interesting that your experiences with Amazon have been the total oposite of mine. Always found their customer service to be excellent but that is in the UK. Contacted their customer service recently about an incorrect item shipped and had the problem sorted within minutes and got the correct item the next day. 

The last thing I got was a lawn edger, a real Stainless Steel quality one, the handle was snapped off and not even in the box, I have had terrible service from other well known German telescope outlets too, you wouldn't believe some of the pony they have given me and I spent a mass of money in their direction, never again.

2 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

If think the newt would be quite prone to wobble in any slight breeze unless that mount is on a solid pier. The eq6 would be heavier and more stable. Any reason you want the newt? A nice frac would be better suited to a non permanent setup. 

I dont really have money for a long focal lenght and fast refractor..thats why I am looking at newton, but I found a 6" RC now for like 400$.

2 hours ago, FaDG said:

I would never even venture to place an 8" newt OTA close to an AZ-EQ5 and whisper astrophoto... Let alone with equipment. 

Seriously, for astrophoto I consider the 6" 150pds to be the safe limit for my HEQ5... maybe a bit conservative, but i have had enough headaches. 

Thats exactly why I asked tgem if they will sell the neq6 or eq6r, they have a higher capacity 

1 hour ago, serbiadarksky said:

I dont really have money for a long focal lenght and fast refractor..thats why I am looking at newton, but I found a 6" RC now for like 400$.

What focal length are you looking for? The newt isn't a long focal length. And the RC isn't fast. 

What are you looking to image? 

1 hour ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

What focal length are you looking for? The newt isn't a long focal length. And the RC isn't fast. 

What are you looking to image? 

Looking for a scope thats good for dso and galaxies..like 200/800 awesome for DSO and for bigger galaxies..but heavy

6 hours ago, alan potts said:

The last thing I got was a lawn edger, a real Stainless Steel quality one, the handle was snapped off and not even in the box, I have had terrible service from other well known German telescope outlets too, you wouldn't believe some of the pony they have given me and I spent a mass of money in their direction, never again.

FLO is better than its continental competitors, of that I am now absolutely sure.

11 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

If it's going to be your first scope then a fast newt isn't a good choice, focus can be very fiddly. A frac is the best option to start. 

Is there any refractors that are fast, not reallllly expensive and longish fl?

Long focal lengths require really good tracking and guiding. It's not something you want for a first scope for AP. When your starting getting everything tuned with a 600mm frac is hard enough. There's so much to image between 500-600mm , to the point where some objects are too big even for that. 

Long focal lengths are hard to guide

Really fast scopes are tricky to focus and tune. 

Neither are where you wanna start your journey into AP. Theres a good reason something like the SW ED80 is a popular scope. It's punching above it's weight in quality and it's very forgiving when you start. 

If you go too long or too fast you could end up frustrated and spend most of your time getting setup. 

5 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Theres a good reason something like the SW ED80 is a popular scope. It's punching above it's weight in quality and it's very forgiving when you start.

I fully agree, and it is also much more forgiving on the mount.

That's why I started with an ED80 on an EQ5 and a Canon DSLR. 

Furthermore, due to its popularity, the ED80 is easy to find used and retains its value very well. Just remember you need a flattener with it. 

Fabio

Archived