Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging with the Samyang 135mm f2

This reminds me of the early 1990s when I was a student working at BT Research and Development Laboratories - they were working on a VR helmet - and back then it had CRTs in it and was very very front heavy causing people to quickly start walking around looking at the ground.

After a quick pow-wow with management foxed for a solution, and the more theoretical researchers worrying that to make it lighter would  be a total redesign and take years - a REAL engineer present said "give me 5 minutes and took the helmet away".

He came back with a 2kg lead weight glues onto the back of the helmet balancing it - job done. 😃

I can imagine this being the same - hmm.. it's not balanced with one DSLR and one camera and lens the other side.. what can be done - ah - add another camera and lens!

stu

Edited by powerlord
  • Like 2

To be fair with the dslr on the left it's massively weighted in that direction, just tried it to see if it will fit, and with it it just about falls within the weight limit I usually use on this mount. I COULD fashion a counterweight to balance it (think of the triple imaging time!), but setting up two lenses from scratch is bad enough. So I've settled on the two lenses, so there's also room for two asiairs on the bar which balances well. I can also use the one lens if I want without reconfiguring the fixings. Now if I can get over the technical issues with the latest zwo update I can actually get on with imaging.

Edited by Elp

Barnard's Loop, M78, The Belt and Sword of Orion, two panel mosaic with Samyang135 ASI2600mc, 4 hours per panel of 5 minute subs, gain zero, offset 76, lens at f2.8. Processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop, stars courtesy of Blur and Star Exterminators

Thanks for looking 

Dave

Orion_Belt_M42_Samyang_ASI2600mc_50pc_19Feb23.thumb.jpg.b12638de7c33fb29b060413733a64370.jpg

Edited by Laurin Dave
  • Like 16

5 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Thanks for looking 

Very nice Dave. You must be very pleased - your SY and 2600 are doing a great job. Very good star shapes and colours all the way to the corners so you've nailed the setup and spacing. So much to feast your eyes upon - great job. Thanks for sharing! Adrian

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Laurin Dave said:

Barnard's Loop, M78, The Belt and Sword of Orion, two panel mosaic with Samyang135 ASI2600mc, 4 hours per panel of 5 minute subs, gain zero, offset 76, lens at f2.8. Processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop, stars courtesy of Blur and Star Exterminators

Thanks for looking 

Dave

Orion_Belt_M42_Samyang_ASI2600mc_50pc_19Feb23.thumb.jpg.b12638de7c33fb29b060413733a64370.jpg

lovely. best I've seen.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Thanks for looking 

Dave

It is just outstanding what that little lens (with you behind it) can do in such a short while!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Very nice Dave. You must be very pleased - your SY and 2600 are doing a great job. Very good star shapes and colours all the way to the corners so you've nailed the setup and spacing. So much to feast your eyes upon - great job. Thanks for sharing! Adrian

Thanks Adrian..  Blur Exterminator does a marvellous job with the stars, I have the Nikon version of the lens so it's connected via one of ZWOs adapters which has  degree of slop in it. Love the speed though and all the dust it brings out even from my Bortle4-5 skies.

16 hours ago, powerlord said:

lovely. best I've seen.

Very kind of you :) 

14 hours ago, gorann said:

It is just outstanding what that little lens (with you behind it) can do in such a short while!

Thanks Goran.  it was seeing you hoovering up photons like nobodies business with your RASA and colour camera that re-invigorated my use of this lens plus Russ Croman's apps which sort out the stars

• Like 1

M81 M82 surroundings and the IFN.  17 hrs of 300sec subs at gain 0 offset 76 through Samyang135 at f2.8 and ASI2600mc all gathered whilst I was asleep :) .  Processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop using Normalise scale gradient, and Rus Croman's Blur,  Star and Noise Exterminators.  Hi res data overlaid over M81 and M82 to give them a bit of colour. 

Thanks for looking

Dave

M81_M82_IFN_Angel_Nebula_Samyang_13hrs_Final_13Feb23_50pc.thumb.jpg.76d3ff08562cbf035633d7591f493d27.jpg

M81_M82_IFN_Angel_Nebula_Samyang_13hrs_Final_13Feb23_50pc_Annotated.jpg

Edited by Laurin Dave
  • Like 14

I'm still struggling to get nice stars in the corners especially on the right hand side. 16x300s Ha with the 2600mm at f/2.8. Any tips to get better stars at the edges ? No calibration frames used !

Autosave.jpg

Edited by SAW

10 minutes ago, SAW said:

Any tips to get better stars at the edges ?

I guess you've already done this type of thing with ASTAP, which is indicating mild tilt:

Screenshot2023-02-26at10_41_15.thumb.png.9c9b8ef3db4278ddef6b2fe6ca64c1ef.png

.. or with Siril, essentially consistent with ASTAP but a 'cleaner' display:

Screenshot2023-02-26at10_44_36.thumb.png.e7c44abaac1c570641a9bcf4b814f1c0.png

I messed around for ages trying to eliminate tilt on my setup - I seem to recall getting down to 6% in the end. I ended up supporting both the lens (WO bracket) and the camera (ZWO camera bracket), both of which have different centre heights w.r.t. the Vixen bar and hence needed shimming to get the axis as parallel to the bar as possible. What a game!

I think stepping down to f2.8 is a good move. I use a 49mm step-down-ring which I think gives cleaner star shapes and stops down to effectively f2.6.

Sorry I can't be of more help 😐

Adrian

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SAW said:

I have some tilt adjuster shims but this seem to make it worse. I might just try a very thin shim/spacer next and maybe try f/4.

My decided that my tilt was all coming from 'droop' in the imaging train, even though I had replaced the EoS fitting with an M42 screw end-plate on the lens.

I also found some of my thicker plastic shims were not consistently thick around their perimeter - cheap and cheerful and now all in an incinerator somewhere! We are talking fractions of a millimetre making all the difference. I decided I was never going to get zero tilt and it was less stressful to crop off the offending peripheral regions - a cop-out I know but life is too short and clear nights to rare. 😆

Good luck.

Here is a single image just stretched then I've measured the tilt, as you can see it's a completley different reading compared to a stacked image ? Is it best to measure a single image or stacked one ?

Capture.JPG

32 minutes ago, SAW said:

So would I need to add a tilt shim at the corner with the higher reading or at the opposite corner ?

Good question - and I really don't know. Is your sensor orthogonal to the Vixen bar? I have mine in 'landscape' orientation - looking at your image I would hazard a guess your sensor is the same.

24 minutes ago, SAW said:

Is it best to measure a single image or stacked one ?

A single image is preferable as the stacking will reduce aberrations etc.

I know some folk use one of the tilt adjusters (CTU ?) you can buy. If you are using NINA then I understand there is a plug-in available to analyse sensor tilt/misalignment etc.

I used a digital level to eliminate the droop in my imaging train; the changes/adjustment I made all helped but I still have some tilt/misalignment despite my best (inadequate) efforts.

I suppose it could be down to sensor tilt but if that is the case I am going to live with it.

Adrian

Just now, Adreneline said:

If you are using NINA then I understand there is a plug-in available to analyse sensor tilt/misalignment etc.

P.S. There is a thread on the AstroBin forum where someone has used NINA to completely eliminate tilt - all explained in great detail.