NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Small 12v screen/monitor for an Intel NUC???

Skipper Billy

I am gradually putting together a NUC for use in my Obsy.

It will normally operate 'headless' but on occasions I might want to attach a screen/monitor.

Any suggestions ???

Must be able to run off 12v - 10" - 12" size and not massively expensive??

There are lots of camera screens around for video work but most smaller than 12 inch although they usually have HDMI inputs and run at 1080P.

This is an example but there are lots to search from. Not sure if they would work but cant see why not.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-1280x800-Mirrorless-Panasonic-Included/dp/B077FTPT46/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2EDO0DZBDG25X&keywords=dslr+screen+monitor&qid=1552236609&s=gateway&sprefix=dslr+screen%2Caps%2C256&sr=8-3

Alan

1 hour ago, Skipper Billy said:

I am gradually putting together a NUC for use in my Obsy.

It will normally operate 'headless' but on occasions I might want to attach a screen/monitor.

Any suggestions ???

Must be able to run off 12v - 10" - 12" size and not massively expensive??

check out hobbyking. plenty of little screens that are used for FPV model flying and can run off quite a wide voltage range. 

Hi SkipperBilly,

In my observatory, I use an OTA mounted computer that is permanently connected to a wired network. Normally I control the OTA computer from my desktop computer in the house via Windows RDP. The wired network connection to the OTA also allows me to start the OTA computer using Wake On Lan.

To allow me to control the OTA computer when I am in the observatory, I installed a small 4-port network switch. I take a laptop into the observatory and plug that into the network, then use RDP to access the OTA computer while inside the observatory. This gives me full control - mouse, keyboard as well as a screen for the display.

This works for me and it means I don't need a permanent observatory computer  apart from the one mounted on the scope . You do need Cat5 or Cat 6 cable back to the router in the house but that is a fairly easy thing to do. 

Just my 2 old pence worth.

Regards, Hugh

How about a TV for a caravan?

Here's a 16" one.

https://www.thecaravanwarehouse.co.uk/Products/other/TV170?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjpjkBRDRARIsAKv-0O1-Jsk1ddtmvIldPoO0gGgluMgzz6mV_Ud3hPc_UqdyTS0T_9fn8v8aAtCUEALw_wcB

Other than that, I'd second the RDP approach.   Provided that you have a good network connection, it'll work in problem.    I do somthing similar using WIFI from inside my house to my front garden.   In my case, I use a laptop out at the scope, so already has screen trackpad and keyboard.  I simply close the lid when I don't need the screen and access it remotely.

16 hours ago, Prador said:

Talk about feeling daft. It didn't even click for me that your username would suggest a maritime background and already would've been considered ?

Some folk have usernames that bear no relation to anything so dont feel bad ?

3 hours ago, hughgilhespie said:

Hi SkipperBilly,

In my observatory, I use an OTA mounted computer that is permanently connected to a wired network. Normally I control the OTA computer from my desktop computer in the house via Windows RDP. The wired network connection to the OTA also allows me to start the OTA computer using Wake On Lan.

To allow me to control the OTA computer when I am in the observatory, I installed a small 4-port network switch. I take a laptop into the observatory and plug that into the network, then use RDP to access the OTA computer while inside the observatory. This gives me full control - mouse, keyboard as well as a screen for the display.

This works for me and it means I don't need a permanent observatory computer  apart from the one mounted on the scope . You do need Cat5 or Cat 6 cable back to the router in the house but that is a fairly easy thing to do. 

Just my 2 old pence worth.

Regards, Hugh

Thanks Hugh

I cant believe I didn't think about that solution!

Just taking it a step onwards...

I have a very similar setup to you - a full size PC in the obsy that is both hard wired (Cat6) and wirelessly connected to the PC in the house - I usually control the outdoors PC via RDP so a very similar setup to you.

I am now thinking I could set up my laptop to control the outdoors PC via RDP wirelessly as well as my indoors fixed PC. Then when I want to do things like adjust the focus on the guide scope and see the results in real time I can just take my laptop to the obsy and do it wirelessly via RDP.

That way I would need the 'switch' ???

I wouldnt need to buy a screen and my laptop has the trackpad, keyboard and screen all in one and no wires !!

Anyone see any issues with that ???

(I am on a mission to reduce trailing cables hence swapping the Obsy PC for a NUC which will be mounted on the OTA)

Thanks in advance.

Hi SkipperBilly,

I originally ran two Cat6 cables into the observatory but I ended up adding a four port switch so I could connect to the OTA computer, a laptop / and or / obsy computer, a net controlled 8-channel power switch and my obsy camera. I can then remotely switch on the main 14 volt power supply which supplies power to the OTA computer. I can then use WakeOnLan to start the OTA computer - all without leaving the nice, warm house!

This a diagram of the various connections.

Regards, Hugh

OTAPowerNet.pdf

2 hours ago, hughgilhespie said:

Hi SkipperBilly,

I originally ran two Cat6 cables into the observatory but I ended up adding a four port switch so I could connect to the OTA computer, a laptop / and or / obsy computer, a net controlled 8-channel power switch and my obsy camera. I can then remotely switch on the main 14 volt power supply which supplies power to the OTA computer. I can then use WakeOnLan to start the OTA computer - all without leaving the nice, warm house!

This a diagram of the various connections.

Regards, Hugh

Thanks Hugh

Your design is probably the next step for me - I haven't gone down the fully remote setup as I still need to go outside to manually open the roof and there is no way (that I can figure out!) of automating it - but very helpful all the same. Maybe Obsy mkII will have an automated roof! Photos of MKI are here in case you have any creative ideas !

I have tried your suggestion but wirelessly and it works a treat using my laptop with RDP I can access and control the Obsy PC.

So hopefully no reason that it wont work just as well with the NUC when I get it sorted.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

David (aka Skipper Billy)

59 minutes ago, Gina said:

I'm hoping to automate my roll-off-roof.  Making odd bits of progress on it now and again. 

Having followed your input over many years I have NO doubt you will do it and incorporate some ingenious solutions and some 3D printing along the way! ?

David, just another idea that will cost you nothing.

I leave my laptop with the Mount, but in your case you would use a NUC, but it is the same principle, load Tight VNC onto the NUC and tight VNC onto your indoor PC and then on your phone install Mocha VNC, you then switch from your NUC to you Desktop and Vice Versa on your phone. If you need more than 5 mins connection then it is less than a fiver to get it unrestricted.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mocha-vnc/id284981670?mt=8 For iPhone

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.mochsoft.vncpaid&hl=en For Android

I often sit in my lounge controlling my imaging via my iPhone +, it's big enough to do most things such as Polar Alignment or changing targets, and as long as you have a smart phone that will run VNC then you don't need a screen at all.

HTH

I bought a 7" x 720p 12v camera field monitor for exactly the same diagnostic purposes and learned a costly lesson. It was a waste of money.

The monitor at the scope should NOT have a resolution below that of your display device 'indoors'. Here is why...

What should be noted is that if you connect (say) two computers using Windows Remote Desktop the host computer's resolution (now limited by the diagnostics monitor) will dictate your 'indoor' screen resolution and that will also become your default resolution. So even if you disconnect the lower resolution monitor you will be stuck in that lower mode until you once again connect a higher resolution monitor again and reset its display settings. 

What is also true is that if you set NUC A at 4k UHD and NUC B at 4k UHD then both will run at that resolution. However, if either is merely 1080p HD then that will be the limit. BTW, the secret to get 4K UHD camera screen data across a wireless network is disable RemoteFX Compression in Group Profiles (but I digress).

So, in summary, if your primary display is a fairly regulation 1080p HD, don't buy a lower resolution monitor for diagnostics.  But if it is 4K UHD there is no inexpensive solution. I now temporarily  take my (indoor) 4K monitor to the scope if I need diagnostics as it is easier/cheaper to run a 50ft AC power cable to it than other solutions. 

If you use Tight VNC you can set up the screen res however you want, thats what I liked, it wasn't dependant on what my laptop was displaying and was flexible with what you were using to view with.

Archived