Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Should I clean this primary mirror (photo included)

I bought this telescope about 9 years ago. Never cleaned it. I used it for the first 3 years. Then it was shelved all these years.  Now I opened it and saw the primary mirror is a dirty. I have read my posts in the forum on how to clean it. I gathered everything already. Before I go on cleaning I need an opinion from you guys, whether it's a good idea to clean it. 

This is how it looks now.

IMG_6359.jpg

Eeek!! Definitely clean it. Are those deposits fungus? 

Just take your time and follow the procedures you’ve already researched.

I agonised over cleaning the dew and pollen spots off my refractor lens last year, I eventually bit the bullet and restored it to its former glory. 

Give it a couple of standing soaks in mild soap and water if necessary, and get a cover for the end of the tube if you haven't one already to save yourself a repeat performance nine years from now.

5 minutes ago, cletrac1922 said:

Use distilled water as well, as does not have rust, chlorine, fluoride that is in tap water

Yes, definitely distilled water. I don't think that's been mentioned yet, so good call.

Archived