SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

APT/dithering/phd2

8 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

20190217_163454.thumb.jpg.9a579d4dcce4c8569443c33a1917d8bc.jpg

On a different plane, though: are you sure that, with your ASI, you really need that big guidescope with the two counterweights? 

With the ED80 and the SW 150pds I guided with a small 60mm f3.9 guidescope (like the Altair Astro one) and it works wonders, then one 5kg counterweight is enough.

And reducing the load, your mount will become way more reactive. Man, with the ED80 I even got good results with the ASI120 and 50mm guidescope I use with my 72ED, although the 60/224 is definitely better. Never had an issue finding a guidestar, I never had to move it. 

Also remember that, when imaging Orion, you're at the celestial equator, which is where RA errors show at their top. As you rise in dec guiding become easier. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, FaDG said:

On a different plane, though: are you sure that, with your ASI, you really need that big guidescope with the two counterweights? 

With the ED80 and the SW 150pds I guided with a small 60mm f3.9 guidescope (like the Altair Astro one) and it works wonders, then one 5kg counterweight is enough.

And reducing the load, your mount will become way more reactive. Man, with the ED80 I even got good results with the ASI120 and 50mm guidescope I use with my 72ED, although the 60/224 is definitely better. Never had an issue finding a guidestar, I never had to move it. 

Also remember that, when imaging Orion, you're at the celestial equator, which is where RA errors show at their top. As you rise in dec guiding become easier. 

well i've only just got that st80. i was using the SW 9x50 but found that it wasn't very stable in the shoe. this one came up for £40 locally so went with it, having it bolted straight to the ed80 makes it a lot stiffer. 

1 hour ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

if anyone wants to play with this and see what they get its 300MB, would be interested to see. is been cropped as the full file was 950MB

Autosave.tif

I've just downloaded it, but with it not being the original stack it's not really possible to show you how much data is in there. 

11 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

When you say aggressive do you mean distance?

Yes, quite noticable in your individual subs. I set it to 5 in APT and around 5 again in PHD. That was with my 600D. It does help with reducing colour mottling. Might help with your banding? Do you have the SD card in the camera? For some reason leaving the card in but saving to the laptop seems to create banding. There was a recent thread.

6 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I'll try without the SD card next time. never noticed it in the past though. not imaged for a month or so while very slowly building my pier

I don’t leave the sd card in anymore,  savedirect to pc , maybe worth checking an older sub and giving it a good stretch to see if any banding lurking , I will check what dither settings I use in APT later , I processed your in startools it prefers untampered data so probably no need to drizzle , settle time I use is definitely longer than 15sec I would try  40 sec even a minute would be better.

Archived