Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

R.I.P Opportunity

John

I followed its progress avidly for years. Very sad a dust storm finally ended its career. And strange to think I saw that dust storm with my own eyes (not that anything else was visible on Mars...).

Madly and unjustifiably, I always harboured a secret hope that somehow Opportunity would get to Beagle2, flip out the stuck solar panel, and spring it to life! Oh well, another dream crushed ?

I suppose I feel slighty sad, and perhaps bad, for these shutdown probes and robots on distant worlds. Still, it’s pretty incredible any of them made it there in one piece in the first place. Am I right that Opportunity was lifted down on the amazing “sky crane”?

It's almost like losing a good friend.  This little piece of electronic wizardry confounded even those who built it, and it proved itself so resilient and dependable. Mars surrrendered much to the probings of Opportunity, and now has earned it's retirement. Huge, and grateful thanks to the scientists and engineers who created Opportunity, we owe them for the great sights she provided.

RIP Opportunity.:icon_salut::icon_pale:

Ron.

Archived