Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars with the 100p f/4 mini Dob.

Chris

This was a real challenge for three reasons. Tiny f/4 scope, terrible seeing, and the fact that Mars is approaching it's furthest distance from Earth. 

It's kind of amazing I got anything really lol 

Heritage 100p f/4, ASI120mc, PIPP and Registax. 

Mars100pstacked.png

Just now, dweller25 said:

Thats actually as good as it’s going to get at the moment ?

Yeah I think I milked the tiny shaving mirror for all it's worth ? I only got the image below even with an 8" the other night:

Mars@5mFL.png

2 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I didn't Chris, promise...but it did make me smile.
Why do we all like a challenge in Astro rather than easy?

lol I know, I could have just got the CPC out again when I saw Mars, but I looked at my tiny little mini Dob sitting on the shelf and thought, go on little 100p, you can do it!? 

I've just spotted a strange red object flying by Mars on one of my AVI files. It's likely just a satellite but it's redder than Mars?? 

I'll link a video to it and get opinions. if it's not a satellite it could be NEO perhaps? Nah it's probably a satellite. 

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 22:35, Lockie said:

Yeah I think I milked the tiny shaving mirror for all it's worth  I only got the image below even with an 8" the other night:

Mars@5mFL.png

...not really Chris - a channel alignment & adjusting the black-point for the background around the planet etc will improve your image significantly: you have done very well indeed actually & some dusky surface detail is evident when the image is cleaned up a bit! ?

Our website details the steps required which can be done in Registax6 & several other free softwares... ;)

LockieMars-rgbd.png

4 hours ago, Kokatha man said:

...not really Chris - a channel alignment & adjusting the black-point for the background around the planet etc will improve your image significantly: you have done very well indeed actually & some dusky surface detail is evident when the image is cleaned up a bit! ?

Our website details the steps required which can be done in Registax6 & several other free softwares... ;)

LockieMars-rgbd.png

Thanks! I'm terrible at post processing planets as you can tell, but to be fair, I was talking about milking the 100p image, I knew the C8 image wasn't great, looked mushy. so many thanks for that, great improvement :) erm, do you have a link to your web site tutorial please.

33 minutes ago, Kokatha man said:

No idea why the links are playing funny buggers - just type in momilika.net & click on "Astro Intro" on the RHS & then the tute links at the bottom of those links on the LHS. ;)

Cheers dude! :) 

Archived