SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Into the dim distant past

Littleguy80

It's been a slow start to 2019 from a stargazing perspective. Clouds, coughs and colds all preventing any time under the stars. This week has seen that turned around though. I had a nice trip to my local dark site on Monday with the highlights being the Rosette Nebula. Familiarity is paying dividends with this target, I'm seeing more and more nebulosity with each observation. Using my 30mm ES82 I was able to squeeze M46 and M47 into the same FOV. I used a UHC filter to make the planetary nebula, NGC 2438, stand out. I also observed a faint curve of nebulosity in the Flaming Star nebula using the UHC. Thanks to Gerry @jetstream for the filter tip! Tuesday night from home saw poor transparency and a very icy telescope. Despite conditions I still enjoyed views of Hubble's Variable nebula (NGC 2261), Hagrid's Dragon (NGC 2301) and the Christmas Tree cluster (NGC 2264) among others.

To complete the trio of sessions for the week, I woke at 3:40 AM this morning for an early hours sessions. I'd actually set my alarm for 4 AM but I guess I was excited to get out! I can't get up at this time without wondering if Doug @cloudsweeper is already out observing! My first target was the Comet C/2018 Y1 (Iwamoto). It's currently in the constellation Virgo. I found it with relative ease despite it being quite large and diffuse. Much more challenging than the bright views of Comet Wirtanen I experienced in December. The 13mm eyepiece helped to draw it out a bit more. No obvious tail that I noted. My next target was also in Virgo. I centred the finder on the star Porrima and, using SkySafari, started to star hop my way to the target. My intended target is mag 12.85 and is a point source. As a result, when I reached the correct area, I changed to my 9mm eyepiece and started comparing the star positions and their magnitudes in SkySafari to what I was seeing. I wanted to be sure of my observation. After 15 minutes or so, I finally felt confident that my view through the eyepiece was taking me back 2 BILLION light years to the Quasar, 3C 273. It was a visual unimpressive but completely awe inspiring at the same time. It's a distance well beyond my comprehension. Observing a Quasar was high up on my list of observing goals for 2019 and I'm very pleased to have done it. 

I decided to return to Comet 46/P, now in Ursa Major, and  was puzzled to find it missing. Whilst checking SkySafari, I realised the galaxy NGC 2841 was nearby so off I went to find that. A nice bright fuzzy was soon found. It was a nice bonus and gave me confidence that the sky quality was still good. I returned to the site of Comet 46/P and stepped up the magnification with the 13mm eyepiece. Now the comet became visible. I was taken aback by how faint it now is, mag 13 according to SkySafari. For a final deep sky observation, I went across to the favourite M51. The two galaxies were nice and bright. I'm looking forward to seeing these under dark skies in the next month or two.

One of the appeals of a session at this time was the chance to see some planets. Jupiter was now high enough to take a look at with Venus just appearing above the roof tops. On first look I only saw 3 moons, with Callisto being farther away from Jupiter than I was expecting. The seeing was poor but, as is often the case, persistence revealed some steadier patches. The equatorial belts were first to appear when the seeing steadied and then I thought I saw the great red spot. I added the Neodymium filter and sure enough there was the GRS. It was a very happy bonus observation. I swung over to Venus which was very wobbly. A very different view to the "little moon" observed in early December. I went back to Jupiter for a little longer, enjoying one last patch of clear seeing. I returned to the warmth of my bed at 6:10 AM, a very happy stargazer.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice report. I was out last night with an ST80 just looking at open clusters and doubles. It's good to be getting out there again. M35 in particular was great, a good target for the ST80.

23 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

Up about the same time and out with the dob for a tour round ursa major, hercules and a few others. Sat in a chair with a coffee to warm up.... Zzzzz...

Nice one. I managed to grab a couple more hours sleep. There’s something nice about being out seeing amazing stuff whilst almost everyone else is asleep. 

Another excellent observing report Neil. Whilst checking on Comets yesterday (reading not observing) I picked up on Comet C/2018 Y1 (Iwamoto). I should get up to observe it but I notice that it will pass close to Regulus on the 11th/12th February.

I also agree with your comment on 3C 273 - incredible distance and you get a buzz knowing what it is.

21 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Nice report Neil.

Whilst ' swanning about ' around Ursa Major on Wednesday night, it never crossed my mind to look for  Comet 46P . How dumb !!

Tunnel vision I guess,..... in Galaxy mode. :grin:

Thanks Steve. I don’t blame you, galaxy season is pretty much here. Really looking forward to hitting Virgo soon!

4 minutes ago, Paz said:

Nice report. I was out last night with an ST80 just looking at open clusters and doubles. It's good to be getting out there again. M35 in particular was great, a good target for the ST80.

Thanks Paz. M35 is fab. One I must revisit soon!

2 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Another excellent observing report Neil. Whilst checking on Comets yesterday (reading not observing) I picked up on Comet C/2018 Y1 (Iwamoto). I should get up to observe it but I notice that it will pass close to Regulus on the 11th/12th February.

I also agree with your comment on 3C 273 - incredible distance and you get a buzz knowing what it is.

Thanks Mark. That’s good to know. I’ll have to get another observation of the Comet Iwamoto in then :) 

8 minutes ago, domstar said:

Wow a quasar. That's fantastic. Excellent report- so good it makes me want to get up in the early hours (when it warms up here a bit). I hope that soon wears off.

Haha I questioned my own sanity but it was well worth it! My original plan had been to get up for the planets but as the forecast looked good for earlier, temptation got the better of me!

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

After 15 minutes or so, I finally felt confident that my view through the eyepiece was taking me back 2 BILLION light years to the Quasar, 3C 273. It was a visual unimpressive but completely awe inspiring at the same time.

Great Report Neil, that's what makes our hobby so cool.

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

Great report Neil and congrats for seeing the Flaming Star!

Thank Gerry. I’ve noticed with observations of Nebula that are on or close to the limit of visibility that the Nebula has an almost translucent appearance. There’s a very definite shape but not necessarily shading. I first noticed this with the fainter parts of the Cresecent Nebula. This was how I saw the Flaming Star. Have you ever noticed Nebula presenting in this way or is it my dodgy eyes? ?

11 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thank Gerry. I’ve noticed with observations of Nebula that are on or close to the limit of visibility that the Nebula has an almost translucent appearance. There’s a very definite shape but not necessarily shading. I first noticed this with the fainter parts of the Cresecent Nebula. This was how I saw the Flaming Star. Have you ever noticed Nebula presenting in this way or is it my dodgy eyes? ?

As you observe these nebula often-yes keep going back over and over- you will see more and more. Once your "nebula eyes" are at or near their limit you will then be limited by the sky, not to say that the sky won't limit you now.

I see the nebula as you describe with no filter.

With the UHC I see the shape as a shade, but with mottling in a beautiful array of stars. There is a base structure of mottling with more popping in and out of view, similar to holding a threshold target for seconds and then it disappears only to reappear.

I see the Crescent nebula outline very well with the interior full of very fine filaments in my 15"/OIII/UHC and I can see the brightest portion of the shell-a short spike- with no filter in direct vision. Under very good skies your 10"/Lunt 20mm/UHC will show a smaller version as described above with the filaments visible but harder to see, at leat my 10" shows it this way.

Question- how many stars (roughly) do you see under "boomerang" of the Flaming Star?

You are doing very well and you are going to be limited by your skies.

4 hours ago, jetstream said:

Question- how many stars (roughly) do you see under "boomerang" of the Flaming Star?

Thank you, Gerry. It’s good to know you’ve seen that effect without a filter. I was concerned that I was perhaps misinterpreting what I was seeing. I’ll count up the stars next time I observe the Flaming Star and report back. 

An interesting thread especially related to Nebula, specifically Reflection Nebs. I have tried for so many years to observe two objects both on major observing lists.

Herschel 400 list has NGC 2185  I have tried for over 10 years to view this object with various scopes and dark sites - no joy.

Hidden Treasurers - Steve O'Meara - NGC 2163 (Cederblad 62) tried for 11 years again no joy.

I assume that because these objects appear on general lists, for average scopes, they should observable especially with a 12".

If anyone fancies a go and are successful I would be pleased to know.

55 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

An interesting thread especially related to Nebula, specifically Reflection Nebs. I have tried for so many years to observe two objects both on major observing lists.

Herschel 400 list has NGC 2185  I have tried for over 10 years to view this object with various scopes and dark sites - no joy.

Hidden Treasurers - Steve O'Meara - NGC 2163 (Cederblad 62) tried for 11 years again no joy.

I assume that because these objects appear on general lists, for average scopes, they should observable especially with a 12".

If anyone fancies a go and are successful I would be pleased to know.

I’ve added both of these to an observering list to check out. Interestingly  SkySafari lists both as having an unknown visual magnitude. I’ll look them up in the Instellarum Deep Sky Guide this evening. 

Excellent report Neil and some good ideas for tonight, if it's clear.

I'm pleased to read what you thought of Comet 46P - the last couple of times I've observed it it's been darned hard work even with my 12" dob. The Sky Live site was still quoting mag 7.7 last time I tried but it must be a dispersed object or has faded a lot - it seemed much closer to your estimate.

I must have a go at a Quasar again. It's been a long time since I observed one and it is a thrill to be looking at photons that have travelled so far and for so long.

Enjoyable report Neil. Nebula can be elusive targets but as Jerry says once you get your eye in they can be very rewarding targets.

Galloway for some of us at the end of this month. Fingers crossed the skies will be kind. 

1 hour ago, John said:

Excellent report Neil and some good ideas for tonight, if it's clear.

I'm pleased to read what you thought of Comet 46P - the last couple of times I've observed it it's been darned hard work even with my 12" dob. The Sky Live site was still quoting mag 7.7 last time I tried but it must be a dispersed object or has faded a lot - it seemed much closer to your estimate.

I must have a go at a Quasar again. It's been a long time since I observed one and it is a thrill to be looking at photons that have travelled so far and for so long.

Thank you, John. Forecast is looking good for tonight. I was really surprised by how much 46P had faded. 

I created myself a Quasar observing list on SkySafari. I think they should all be within reach of your 12” dob :) 

Quasars.skylist

1 hour ago, mapstar said:

Enjoyable report Neil. Nebula can be elusive targets but as Jerry says once you get your eye in they can be very rewarding targets.

Galloway for some of us at the end of this month. Fingers crossed the skies will be kind. 

Thanks Damian. I really enjoy nebula. They definitely seem to reward revisits with more and more detail.

I was hoping to join you guys in Galloway but work and family commitments won't allow. Fingers crossed you get some clear skies :) 

Archived