Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heads up ! Starcount !

cotterless45

Very milky skies here tonight. I can only see 4 of the lttle dipper and only 17 in Orion. Trying to image the Witches Head, but I'm fearing that it is too faint a target to get much in these skies, though it is just visible in stretched 10 min L subs.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I did the count it has changed to zero stars, then to a full but hazy view of Orion, and now fleeting glimpses of Sirius only. The Dob is well and truly cooled by now so I think I will chance my luck a little longer.

Been in the obys over 2hrs now, i have counted them in succession 5 times and 4 of the 5 times i now get 25. Whats difficult is i can see more with adverted vision so looking left to right, right to

left repeatedly is giving me a more accurate count of what i can actually see with direct vision if that made sense ? ? ?

Definitely getting hazy here -- we do have fog forecast for later this evening, so perhaps no surprise.  It didn't help that it was clearly kicking out time at the cricket club after the skittles match either :(

However, my tally for the evening over multiple counts was 25 to 27 stars, two meteorites, Ryan Air Tenerife to Manchester, Easyjet Lisbon to Bristol and a vixen looking for a mate.  I'm assuming that 56 Ori is in the rectangle and allowable.  Without getting a ruler out on a star chart I couldn't be certain though.

James

Just got back from Pont-Ar-Wysg in the Brecon Beacons where I counted 22 stars. The seeing was very poor with a lot of moisture in the atmosphere. High magnifications, above 106x, produced fuzzy, fast twinkling stars and the E and F stars of the Trapezium were nowhere to be seen.

Unfortunately I have arrived back too late to look at the stars in Orion from my back garden. The constellation is low in the west in the murk now.

• 2 weeks later...

I manged 4 and just saw 5 using averted vision. So called bortle 5 skies but the reality is 5 just stands for the number of street lights in my immediate vicinity and this one here is not the closest, that one is just 6 metres away over my shoulder behind the direction I am facing. If I had been earlier Orion would not be clear of the trees or neighbour's roofs though the sky hasn't been clear for ages to have checked it.

313209077_starcount.thumb.jpg.3d21d7a9e1e2df87173b7fa502d82283.jpg

Archived