Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New kit setup (Esprit 100 ), First light Report and Issues

3 minutes ago, StarDodger said:

But should you really need to on a new item, it seems to me that at at the  prices of these scopes, everything should fit properly right off the bat, without the need for faffing about with bits of rubber of cork... just my opinion.. :)

I agree. The tube-rings felt should not need replacing so soon. I am sure I have said the same elsewhere here at SGL 🙂 

However, if Sky-Watcher's felt is too thin or too easily compressed then we will need to do something. Replacing the rings with the same is only a temporary fix (as predicted) so currently I am thinking the best solution is for us to collect souls33k3r's rings and replace the felt ourselves with something better/thicker. 

Am happy to consider other solutions? 

Steve 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FLO said:

I agree. The tube-rings felt should not need replacing so soon. I am sure I have said the same elsewhere here at SGL 🙂 

However, if Sky-Watcher's felt is too thin or too easily compressed then we will need to do something. Replacing the rings with the same is only a temporary fix (as predicted) so currently I am thinking the best solution is for us to collect souls33k3r's rings and replace the felt ourselves with something better/thicker. 

Steve 

I agree Steve, replacing the rings with a new set of SW may or may not work. I am happy for my rings to be sent to you but I am equally happy for you to send me thicker felts and I can apply them, since I have applied them already so know exactly how to do them. That will surely be time saving exercise for me and less headache for all. 

Needless to say I trust you and leave this in your capable hands to let me know what works best and will resolve this issue once and for all. :)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FLO said:

Steve 

Are the rings manufactured by skywatcher, as I had some from overseas once with a similar problem, they were about 2mm out of spec, I was trying to save money, and as we know that does not alway work, I ended up buying a popular named brand rings in the end, so in fact ended up wasting money...So lesson learned for me.. 👍

Edited by StarDodger

• 1 month later...
On 29/01/2019 at 14:26, souls33k3r said:

I remember RayD mentioned that in the Esprit 100 manual, the distance from the end of the flattener to the chip is listed as 63mm but in reality it's 55mm.

Are you saying the distance in the Manual still is not correct? Or are you measuring 55 mm from sensor to the 8 mm spacer (M66 to M48) and not to the flattener itself? This is the PDF Manual from SW site:

63.jpg

2 hours ago, Juicy6 said:

Are you saying the distance in the Manual still is not correct? Or are you measuring 55 mm from sensor to the 8 mm spacer (M66 to M48) and not to the flattener itself? This is the PDF Manual from SW site:

63.jpg

Yes it is still incorrect. It's 55 and is from the back of the Flattener to the sensor chip. Hope this helps :)

14 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Yes it is still incorrect. It's 55 and is from the back of the Flattener to the sensor chip

Manual says: "Inside the box the 8 mm spacer ring is assembled with the field flattener body. When assembled, the two parts may look as if there were only one piece". So this is not correct?

63m.jpg

• Like 1

Coming in a bit late on this but I once had a 10” Newtonian which had a similar problem of slipping down the tube rings, and also rotating due to the weight of the camera on the side. I solved it by wrapping some insulating tape round the tube where the rings where, to give the rings something to grip. I always wondered about the practice of using soft felt to grip on a smooth polished surface.

• 5 months later...

Hi all sorry to restart an old thread but I've had my Esprit 100 since last July and have started having issues with it sliding about within it's rings, this is causing issues as I set up each time and if I accidently turn the scope and I'm capturing more data on the same target it's more difficult to get it stacked. @souls33k3r did the new felt solve your problem or did it eventually do the same as the felt became less grippy through use.

2 hours ago, Dinglem said:

Hi all sorry to restart an old thread but I've had my Esprit 100 since last July and have started having issues with it sliding about within it's rings, this is causing issues as I set up each time and if I accidently turn the scope and I'm capturing more data on the same target it's more difficult to get it stacked. @souls33k3r did the new felt solve your problem or did it eventually do the same as the felt became less grippy through use.

No problem at all. This is why we don't mind reviving old threads because you just never know who might have similar or new issues around the same kit. 

The new felts did arrive promptly but while I was waiting for them, a friend of mine (who is a member of SGL but does not like to get the recognition for his brilliant help and support) had some thing rubber pieces (can find out what it was material it was) under both the rings and the tube has never slipped. But you have to be careful at the thickness of the rubber otherwise the rings won't close properly. 

Hope this helps mate.