Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New kit setup (Esprit 100 ), First light Report and Issues

9 minutes ago, AbsolutelyN said:

My scope is the one with the green plate, the first of the two images you posted. Thanks for info on spacing, on brief look it seemed ok but I did not look into it too far. I'm a total pixel peeper for daytime photography/lenses so will be aiming to get it bang on eventually. 

What's the distance within the 1600 itself (from filter mounted direct to camera to sensor)? Just fiddling with the various adaptor I have I came up with this which is 47.5mm but not sure on the filter to sensor distance. 

back-focus.jpg

So camera sensor to the fw it's 6.5mm (assuming you took the black spacer off the ZWO camera that it came with otherwise it's 11mm if i remember correctly)

Thanks. I'll test with the new spacing and see if there is an improvement. The 11mm has been moved from camera to after the filter wheel so should be 56mm in total. I assume the filter glass adds 1mm? 

On the rings OVL said: 
We can provide some thicker replacement felt for the tube rings which will solve the issue with the rings

A quick google seems to suggest people are getting replacement rings rather than just some felt. Has anyone had this issue resolved and if so how? 

Edited by AbsolutelyN

4 minutes ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Thanks. I'll test with the new spacing and see if there is an improvement. The 11mm has been moved from camera to after the filter wheel so should be 56mm in total. I assume the filter glass adds 1mm? 

On the rings OVL said: 
We can provide some thicker replacement felt for the tube rings which will solve the issue with the rings

A quick google seems to suggest people are getting replacement rings rather than just some felt. Has anyone had this issue resolved and if so how? 

Nice one, have a go and see how the image improves :) With regards to the filter, you'll need to find the thickness of your filter. It's almost always stated on the manufacturers or suppliers website. Some are 1mm, some are 2mm. But yes add 1mm but i've also been told to go with 1/3rd of the filter width.

Good spot. It's not only that but the scope rotates as well which was annoying but sliding for me way the bigger issue here. 

I'll be checking the nylon washers and make sure of their placement.

6 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Right so came home just a few minutes ago and can confirm that the nylon washers are not sandwiched between the tube rings. Will speak to FLO tomorrow.

That's a shame, mate.  I'm sure FLO will sort it for you, they're not a bad lot :thumbright:

• Like 1

Just now, souls33k3r said:

It really is a shame mate.  FLO are just amazing with their customer service. I have nothing but good things to say about them. :)

I reckon they must have changed the rings as well as giving the OTA the new livery.  My rings have a fair gap when closed, but yours look like they are pretty much clamped all the way closed.

7 minutes ago, RayD said:

I reckon they must have changed the rings as well as giving the OTA the new livery.

Yeah possibly. Yours is from the older batch isn't it? 

49 minutes ago, RayD said:

My rings have a fair gap when closed, but yours look like they are pretty much clamped all the way closed.

Yeah mine are as tight as a 36 year old man can possibly have :D

1 hour ago, souls33k3r said:

Right so came home just a few minutes ago and can confirm that the nylon washers are not sandwiched between the tube rings. Will speak to FLO tomorrow.

nylon.jpg.df0402d0d06e3e9851bf9c58c75aadda.jpg

Although these scopes are amazing, I think the rings need a little tinkering with, I have read about this before, the felt is too soft and too thin, re do that and you will be fine, put a slightly thicker one on, one that won’t compress as much.. :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Although these scopes are amazing, I think the rings need a little tinkering with, I have read about this before, the felt is too soft and too thin, re do that and you will be fine, put a slightly thicker one on, one that won’t compress as much.. :)

I guess the beauty of a scope being under warranty is that you can let the dealer (OVL in this case) worry about that bit ;) The good folks at FLO are great. They’re always on your side as long as the case is genuine :)

• Like 1

Just now, souls33k3r said:

I guess the beauty of a scope being under warranty is that you can let the dealer (OVL in this case) worry about that bit ;) The good folks at FLO are great. They’re always on your side as long as the case is genuine :)

I thought you were adventurous?  Get your grinder and welder out and knock up a solution.  What's the worst that could happen? ?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, RayD said:

I thought you were adventurous?  Get your grinder and welder out and knock up a solution.  What's the worst that could happen? ?

Meh! You’re right. Knowing my skills with the right tools, I’ll end up knocking up a solution which I don’t think even I would’ve ever envisioned ... or required ... or figure out the use for it :D

17 hours ago, AbsolutelyN said:

On the rings OVL said: 

Slight update. Spoken to FLO and the brilliant folks already know of the issue and will be arranging suitable ring felts over to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Slight update. Spoken to FLO and the brilliant folks already know of the issue and will be arranging suitable ring felts over to me.

That’s great...

But would have thought if they knew it would have been sorted before despatch...., but you got it sorted now.. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

That’s great...

But would have thought if they knew it would have been sorted before despatch...., but you got it sorted now.. :)

Agreed but maybe it's something with a newer batch? Possibly, but then i've had my scope for at least 4 months now and i'm sure quite a few of them went out of the door as well for the dealer to realise this and sending the felts on case by case basis.

Just now, Astro Imp said:

Just returned from RVO and asked Adam to check the rings. Just as well, they're slipping so is arranging replacements. Should be here by weekend.

Sweet! I'm glad the issue got raised and i do hope lots of other folks will see this thread and have theirs sorted out as well.

1 hour ago, LightBucket said:

So far we have had only three owners mention this so we are guessing it is a relatively new thing. Sky-Watcher's importer/distributer are sending some thicker felt. 

20 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

Just returned from RVO and asked Adam to check the rings. Just as well, they're slipping so is arranging replacements. Should be here by weekend.

The replacement Rings might be the same (the felt is too thin). 

I know it shouldn't be necessary, so soon, but replacing the felt inside tube-rings is not unusual and is a good solution. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FLO said:

So far we have had only three owners mention this so we are guessing it is a relatively new thing. Sky-Watcher's importer/distributer are sending some thicker felt. 

The replacement Rings might be the same (the felt is too thin). 

I know it shouldn't be necessary, so soon, but replacing the felt inside tube-rings is not unusual and is a good solution. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Hats off to FLO for getting stuck right in with this issue and like i said are always with the customer. Their service is top notch!

My virtual hat off to you FLO

• Thanks 1

Slight update. Mentioned the issue to FLO yesterday and got home tonight and found the felts have arrived.

That was quick but the only issue is, no instructions on how to put them on so I’m a bit lost here. I don’t know if I’m supposed to put these felts on by removing the old ones or over the top of the existing ones ?

Yes ... mine arrived today too. 4 strips of felt - no instructions. I've just emailed them asking how to add them. The felt looks the same as what's on the rings already to me. Last night I just wrapped a lens cloth between tube and rings and it gripped the tube just fine.