Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just a roof (or cover) around an observing area? (Automated)

adyj1

The recent thread asking about "just walls" got me thinking... 

If I leave my kit out overnight, it would be useful to have some sort of automated cover I could deploy at the end of an imaging session (or perhaps when unexpected rain is detected and the scope is unattended.) 

I accept this may be as daft as having a car with no tyres, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas.

I'm not thinking of anything particularly weatherproof (otherwise we'd be talking walls as well ?), but just something motorised that rolls or pulls over the top when needed. 

Thoughts? (other than adyj1 has lost his marbles ?

Ady

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about a tarpaulin pulled over the equipment ?  Cheap & simple, ok for a night or two.  Of course there’s zero security with that idea......     Best to secure the tarpaulin, more especially if it’s breezy.     Watch out for condensation under the tarpaulin.

Ed.

I'm thinking more like the motorised awnings you can get in the back of your house, rather than a cover that envelopes the scope and mount... Except much more makeshift (and therefore cheap!) 

No security needed - I was leaving the kit unattended anyway, I just want light shower protection. 

Rule out wind while we're in the concept stage - we can fine-tune whatever crackpot design is settled on ?

My kit is about 5' high when parked and sits on a standard SW EQ5 tripod (hopefully a pier one day soon ?)  it is about 3' from a small shed with a 5' high wall, so that could provide some stability. I don't mind making a light timber frame to support said contraption. 

We're fine-tuning requirements here, so thanks for your input - this is good ☺

What could be used as a cover - and how could it be pulled across? And could it be ascom-controlled like an obsy roof in case of unexpected rain? 

8 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

Bear in mind that rain can sometimes be horizontal. With a 5' height, it may have to cover a wide area to try and keep the rain off. 

That is a good point, but in the spirit of minimal proper engineering = minimal serious protection, I'm only really thinking of a light shower that wasn't forecast when I shuffled off to bed (after giving instructions for 2 or three more hours of lights). 

If I leave my kit out and horizontal rain happens, then I deserve everything I get ? 

This is not cheap, but works well when I am at camp, but I had to do a couple of Mods to make it a bit more substantial than the sold item.

Also acts as a great windbreak, which is the main reason I bought it. I do put a scope cover on too as a precaution. 

CdR51WW_CZbj_620x0_wmhqkGbg.jpg

1 hour ago, carastro said:

This is not cheap, but works well when I am at camp, but I had to do a couple of Mods to make it a bit more substantial than the sold item.

Also acts as a great windbreak, which is the main reason I bought it. I do put a scope cover on too as a precaution. 

Thanks Carol, I've got manual covers sorted (although not as well as you!) and I'm looking for a Heath-Robinson powered shelter of some sort that I can automate...

It's a weird request, I know ?

9 minutes ago, spillage said:

I was also thinking along the lines of a dome tent. The sort that you can peg half of it down then pull the rest up and over. Maybe an electronic pulley system with a rain sensor. 

Thanks Mark, what sort of pulley system could be used? Something second-hand that I could put to a new use would be ideal... Something like windscreen wiper motors, or other things that are quite common?  I have no experience with anything like this, so wouldn't know what was or wasn't appropriate.

Not really too sure. Maybe a window motor from a car with some type of pulley attached. You need enough distance to move the cover over the scope. You would also need to consider portability and weight. I wish electronics was my thing as most parts are really cheap, you just need to know how to put them together. 

I was also thinking along the lines of a dome tent. The sort that you can peg half of it down then pull the rest up and over. Maybe an electronic pulley system with a rain sensor. 

So what you are looking for is something like a giant pram canopy only one that goes the whole way over.  I am sure I have seen somewhere, plant cloches that work that way and some-one posted them on an Astro forum.  Whether they are bit enough for a scope I am not sure.  Not sure if you could automate them though. 

I'll see if I can find them again,

Carole 

22 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

I have no experience with anything like this, so wouldn't know what was or wasn't appropriate.

Just curious adyj1. You seem fairly clear in knowing what sort of thing you want - namely an automated cover, but I'm confused by your statement about having no experience with anything like this. It seems unlikely that a perfect solution exists off the shelf, so how do you propose to make it? Would you be looking for help from some third party?

3 minutes ago, carastro said:

What many people use at Astro camps is a toilet tent.  They leave it erected nearby and then put it over the kit and peg it down when they go to bed.

Carole 

Yes, they're really useful, but not sure how you could automate it. 

I've found the thread, but the items posted no longer are for sale, but I think you can at least see the photos in this link (scroll down):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Horti-Hood-Mini-90-180-Degree-Folding-Greenhouse-Cloche-Garden-Storage-Dome/132188933605?epid=1933376512&hash=item1ec7130de5:m:mTcey_h3msUEzUv2ChWBd6Q

Carole 

Archived