NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just a roof (or cover) around an observing area? (Automated)

adyj1

11 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

Just curious adyj1. You seem fairly clear in knowing what sort of thing you want - namely an automated cover, but I'm confused by your statement about having no experience with anything like this. It seems unlikely that a perfect solution exists off the shelf, so how do you propose to make it? Would you be looking for help from some third party?

Fair point, I didn't explain that very well - perhaps the 'anything like this' was too generic. I don't have experience of using these materials and creating something of this scale. I'm into computers and home automation, am happy wiring electrics and I have dabbled in electronics - but only by slavishly following instructions. The first soldering I did that wasn't just tinning a wire was to build an AstroEQ mount controller (and it worked first time - no-one was more suprised than me...) My second major Astro DIY project was to build a 12V power box.

So I am a bit handy, but IMHO a bit dangerous if I'm left to free-think something. I'm hoping to gather the thoughts of the greater minds of others to point me in the right direction.

Ady

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

That looks a good solution ??

It only struck my as I used to have one for my motorbike, Kev, and I remember wishing I still had it as it would have been ideal as an astro cover.  I only went for the Kendrick tent in the end as one came up used and it meant I didn't have to buy a separate tent as well.

7 minutes ago, RayD said:

Ah great minds etc. Carole ?

That's pretty much identical to the motorcycle type sheds but I suspect with a different covering.

Both great suggestions, thanks. A template for a solution methinks ?

With the added bonus it actually has 'walls' !

Some interesting ideas.

I think the first issue here might be height.
The greenhouse described as only 167cm high. Or about 5ft 5ins in old units.

What scope and mount package are you using?
A worst case would be a really long refractor on a tall pillar.

Quite probably your automation would have to work along the lines of signalling the mount to park first.
Park position not necessarily being the mount default. But a position that fits best under the hood or roof.
After parking, you can then power the cover.

If you are automatically detecting rain, then you have three options I can immediately see.

Triggering on high humidity can easily false trigger and end sessions, just because it is a bit damp.
Humidity sensors tend to be a bit 'iffy' at the extremes.

Waiting for rain to fall on a sensor, looking for electrical conductivity, means your kit may be quite soggy by the time the park and cover activities are completed.

An optical system looking for distortion from water droplets on a lens would potentially trigger on the first raindrop, giving more time for the park and cover.
This is not easy.

I do like the idea of an automated cover. But it does need thought before spending time and money.

My roll off shed uses a garage door opener to provide a 3M+ push to open and close the roof.
There is no link to the mount, or weather. It all relies on me.

Hope something in here is useful.

David.

53 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

Quite probably your automation would have to work along the lines of signalling the mount to park first.
Park position not necessarily being the mount default. But a position that fits best under the hood or roof.
After parking, you can then power the cover.

That is an interesting point.

As for kit, I have a 150PDS newtonian, so in a custom 'lay flat' position wouldn't be too tall. I'll be custom-building the frame, so it will be made to fit.

55 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

If you are automatically detecting rain, then you have three options I can immediately see.

Triggering on high humidity can easily false trigger and end sessions, just because it is a bit damp.
Humidity sensors tend to be a bit 'iffy' at the extremes.

Waiting for rain to fall on a sensor, looking for electrical conductivity, means your kit may be quite soggy by the time the park and cover activities are completed.

An optical system looking for distortion from water droplets on a lens would potentially trigger on the first raindrop, giving more time for the park and cover.
This is not easy.

The points about rain detection are also well made. I wonder if I'll have to put up with a smattering of rain as the best of a bad job...

Thanks

Ady

3 hours ago, adyj1 said:

Fair point, I didn't explain that very well - perhaps the 'anything like this' was too generic. I don't have experience of using these materials and creating something of this scale. I'm into computers and home automation, am happy wiring electrics and I have dabbled in electronics - but only by slavishly following instructions. The first soldering I did that wasn't just tinning a wire was to build an AstroEQ mount controller (and it worked first time - no-one was more suprised than me...) My second major Astro DIY project was to build a 12V power box.

So I am a bit handy, but IMHO a bit dangerous if I'm left to free-think something. I'm hoping to gather the thoughts of the greater minds of others to point me in the right direction.

Ady

Thanks adyj for clarifying. Sounds to me like you've got all the skills required - you're certainly more skilled than I am in this area!

1 hour ago, Astrokev said:

Thanks adyj for clarifying. Sounds to me like you've got all the skills required - you're certainly more skilled than I am in this area!

Ha! Thanks, but the reason I'm asking is because they haven't all turned out that way - not by a long shot! 

I'm probably going to get linched for posting this.  But you know how when you've googled things, ads pop up, well this one popped up, and whilst it is rather expensive, it does look the bees knees, so some-one just might be interested.

https://www.dancovershop.com/uk/product/folding-garage-car-eco-large-2-5x4-7x2-m-grey.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9MSR9bqH4AIVl4ntCh29zwPpEAEYASAFEgLLN_D_BwE 

I have also found one half the price

https://www.dancovershop.com/uk/product/folding-garage-car-small-2-6x5-8x2-1-m-grey.aspx?utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Criteo_GB_Lawn & Garden

16 hours ago, carastro said:

I'm probably going to get linched for posting this

Not at all! I'm getting one as soon as I've got an E-type to put in it.  It is certainly big enough - I wouldn't have to park the scope ?

More examples of the Pram Canopy principle in action...

19 hours ago, carastro said:

One of these would be great Carole, the only problem is that they aren't tall enough if you have a biggun to go under it.

I have a client who retails these http://jeran.com/ I'm going to have a chat with him about the potential to design a pop-up Obsy which worked on a similar principle, I don't think there would be a market for 1000's but you never know he might have something he could convert

Archived