Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Argh! T6i DSLR LPS clip-in filter and EF-S 55-250mm lens not compatible?

Seanelly

I somehow got the impression that the clip-in IDAS LPS filter I purchased for my modified Canon T6i would handle both scenarios, but after removing the T-ring and focal reducer that binds the DSLR to the scope for DSO imaging, my 50-250mm lens will not lock into the camera with the LPS filter in place so I can practice wide-field imaging. I did notice that my filter is at odds with the various tutorials I've watched, in that my filter does not 'clip' in, or allow itself to be pressed or twisted in, but just lays flat, though when I lock in the T-ring, the filter is nice and snug. 

Please someone tell me that all I need is a $10 lens adapter or some such and not a $300 or so 2" lens LPS filter, because just when I believe that I've finally got everything I need (for a while, at least), a drawback like this rears it's ugly, expensive head. Honestly, if I have to tell my wife once again that this is seriously the last expense necessary (at least until Christmas, haha) to get myself fully geared up, some of you just may spot me on the way up to meet my maker!

Better would be someone pointing out that the IDAS LPS filter should definitely lock in somehow to make room for the lens, as then I can return the almost new filter for the correct one that would allow a lens to be attached (and maybe tear a strip off the tech who sold it to me). Thing is, when I lock the T-ring into the camera with the filter in place, it is such a perfect snug fit. Though that may be a coincidence.

I await your replies with bated breath.

• Seanelly changed the title to Argh! T6i DSLR LPS clip-in filter and EF-S 55-250mm lens not compatible?
13 hours ago, geordie85 said:

Unfortunately the EF-S lenses have an extra "bit" on the back that's prevents them from being used with clip in filters. 

I have however hear of some people cutting off this extra bit to make them work. 

You have inspired me to try and modify an old broken-down 50mm lens in this way to see if it works, and if so, I will modify the 250mm. If successful, I will be in your debt, if not, nothing lost in the effort. Thanks for the tip.

8 minutes ago, Seanelly said:

You have inspired me to try and modify an old broken-down 50mm lens in this way to see if it works, and if so, I will modify the 250mm. If successful, I will be in your debt, if not, nothing lost in the effort. Thanks for the tip.

44 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Apart from the kit lens I only use EF lenses on our Canon, plus vintage lenses, I wont buy EF-S lenses as too limiting.

Hope it goes well your modifications to the lens.

Yes, the 50 and 50-250mm lenses I have are kit EF-S lenses, and I had no idea until this post that an EF alone worked fine with a filter. I have future plans to upgrade the lenses anyway, so I will keep this bit of news in the back of my mind, and in the meantime, break out the hacksaw blades.

15 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

I also have a modded canon and have a Astronomik CLS clip in filter it works 100% with the standard EF lenses I use.

I think the EF-S lenses are are not compatible.

Thanks for the input. So much to learn, but it's truly satisfying to browse the quick and simple solutions found here that might have taken me much more time and cost to uncover on my own. I owe a debt of gratitude to everyone who has responded to my cry of despair!

2 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

The extra bit on EF-S lenses is to prevent them being used on Full Frame dslrs, because of their larger mirror.

Michael 

Ah, an actual reason for the difference. Good to know, thanks.

Archived