Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What happened to the Vintage group?

EssexMigrant

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Steve said:

Perhaps it was merged with the Scopes & Whole Setups board during one of the forum updates. 

Looking at EssexMigrant’s posts (back in 2012) they are mostly in the Scopes & Whole Setups board so it appears the board he remembers was merged, not removed. 

HTH

Me neither, but there might have been one ? 

I recall a few years back a discussion around how the forum layout and navigation might be made easier. I remember some related boards were merged. So if there was a Vintage Telescope board I guess it now lives within the Scopes & Whole Setups board. 

1 hour ago, EssexMigrant said:

That should be reinstated. Why on earth was it merged? It makes no sense at all. 

You have returned after a six-year break and during that time I don't think anyone has mentioned it or requested a separate discussion board... 

As always if enough people request and then use a new discussion board then we will create one. So is it necessary or beneficial for discussions of 'vintage' telescopes be pulled from the regular telescope discussion board and given a place of their own? 

I think the main advantage of a separate section for vintage equipment would be ease of access. Most telescope owners have a level of interest regarding all examples in the past but there might not be enough "traffic" for an individual section. I have a 200 year old 3" refractor, a self built 5" F15 triplet refractor with a 100 year old objective, a vintage C8 and a couple of vintage Astrosystems Newtonians. I'm actually vintage myself so have more than just a vested interest.   ?

21 hours ago, Gina said:

I've been here 7 years and I don't remember a Vintage forum.

I set it up in the communities section, it was well received and active  but then the SGL was rehashed and a lot of the communities were merged.

8 hours ago, EssexMigrant said:

It seems only Browndwarf and me remember it, so perhaps both of us share the same dreams? I do think that either way that there should be one; would it be that difficult to create? Any other takers?

Err no ,I set it up and semi moderated it

I certainly don't remember SGL being rehashed, although obviously it has undergone various changes and software updates over the years.

I've been here around 8 years and unfortunately don't recall the Vintage section so perhaps it could have used a better position or profile.

I'm sure if there is sufficient demand a way will be found to reinstate it. I think perhaps my Genesis and GP-DX with Skysensor 2000PC may just qualify?

Archived