Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Creating your own script for use in astronomy-related situations?

Victor Boesen

First of all, I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to post this, but I guess a mod could move it if that was the case?

I've recently started learning python, and I have also seen the new book available from FLO called "astronomical algorithms" and I thought if this book uses programming techniques?

What I would also like to ask is if any of you have used programming to make your astronomy-life easier? If so what was it and do you use programming frequently?

Victor

Yes, I love thinking and creating new algorithms related to astronomy (astro image processing in this stage).

Things that I've done were in Java (which I'm not really fond of, but use it if necessary) - simply because ImageJ is written in java and I use it for processing of images, so I wrote a bunch of plugins.

For particular application and results, here is a thread I added recently:

As for programming - I use that regularly as I do it for a living :D

18 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Yes, I love thinking and creating new algorithms related to astronomy (astro image processing in this stage).

Things that I've done were in Java (which I'm not really fond of, but use it if necessary) - simply because ImageJ is written in java and I use it for processing of images, so I wrote a bunch of plugins.

For particular application and results, here is a thread I added recently:

As for programming - I use that regularly as I do it for a living :D

That's very cool!! What are you working with(if I can ask)?

7 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

That's very cool!! What are you working with(if I can ask)?

Sure you can ask, but I don't really get what you are asking me :D

You mean for astronomy as in programming languages, or? If that was the question, like I've said, I did most of it in Java as ImageJ was written in Java and plugin system is in Java (well, you can do scripting in their script language, but I did not bother to learn that one, I think maybe some other languages are supported - not sure about Python, but you can probably use Jython - Python implementation in Java).

As for programming languages in general, I know and have used a lot of languages: C/C++, C#, Python, JavaScript/TypeScript (Node ecosystem), Php, Pascal, Assembler (in early days, I have not written anything in Asm in a long time), Java, did some Prolog as well, ...

For a living I currently work with web technologies (Python / Node / Php stuff), and it has been quite a while since I developed stuff for desktop (I used to do that a lot earlier, but most things are now shifting online ...)

8 hours ago, vlaiv said:

Sure you can ask, but I don't really get what you are asking me :D

You mean for astronomy as in programming languages, or? If that was the question, like I've said, I did most of it in Java as ImageJ was written in Java and plugin system is in Java (well, you can do scripting in their script language, but I did not bother to learn that one, I think maybe some other languages are supported - not sure about Python, but you can probably use Jython - Python implementation in Java).

As for programming languages in general, I know and have used a lot of languages: C/C++, C#, Python, JavaScript/TypeScript (Node ecosystem), Php, Pascal, Assembler (in early days, I have not written anything in Asm in a long time), Java, did some Prolog as well, ...

For a living I currently work with web technologies (Python / Node / Php stuff), and it has been quite a while since I developed stuff for desktop (I used to do that a lot earlier, but most things are now shifting online ...)

Haha, sorry to confuse you.. you pretty much answered my question, so thank you! Programming and creating your own scripts has always fascinated me. To write something that looks extremely confusing to people who doesn't know the language while the computer runs it just fine.

thank you very much!

13 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

First of all, I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to post this, but I guess a mod could move it if that was the case?

I've recently started learning python, and I have also seen the new book available from FLO called "astronomical algorithms" and I thought if this book uses programming techniques?

What I would also like to ask is if any of you have used programming to make your astronomy-life easier? If so what was it and do you use programming frequently?

Victor

Pretty much everything in my github repo ? https://github.com/GuLinux/

Mainly using c++, python and Javscript (React) as frontend.

I'd say the highlights are StarQuew, PlanetaryImager and SkyPlanner

For quite some years I've been using programming and scripting for astronomical purposes. From telescopic calculations and rise and set times in Excel, to scripting in Stellarium and SpaceEngine for outreach purposes (solar system tours etc). Presently app programming most of the time (Java), very nice to have a pocket size astronomy tool at hand.

Astronomical Algorithms by Jean Meeus is a classic. There are a lot of adaptations around in different programming languages (I believe I've seen Python code too).

I use Matlab for developing signal processing algorithms... it’s built for exactly that.

For astronomy, I've implemented a bilateral filter for noise suppression and also this deconvolution/stacking algorithm:

Online Blind Deconvolution for Astronomical Imaging - Stefan Harmeling, Michael Hirsch, Suvrit Sra, and Berhard Schölkopf

I spent a week in Hull on an STFC course for research computing.  The lessons are available online, and include astropy and other useful stuff. Setting up computer here https://openastronomy.org/rcsc18/setup-instructions/ and then the actual lessons here  https://openastronomy.org/rcsc18/chapters/00-lessons  It was an excellent week, although very mentally challenging for a mature student!! I'm still assimulating it all and working out how it help make my research more efficient and more importantly reproducible.

Helen

I think astronomy and programming are a great match! There are different reasons and ways to approach this depending on what you would like to get out of it. For me it's usually a case of 'I have a need that hasn't been met yet so let's DIY it' (the AllSkEye program i am developing falls into that category) or I fancy a programming challenge and try to recreate something interesting. Either way there is usually a great deal that can be learned from the process. It's even better if I can create something that others also might find useful (although if you are ever going down that route be prepared to also spend time on help and support).

Nowadays there are many fantastic tools and frameworks available (for free) which make it much easier to get started and achieve useful results. There is also a lot of online learning content made available for free so there really is no excuse not to have a go ?

Archived