Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Who’s out ?

Tonyhaz

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to do some imaging once the Moon had set (around 02:40), but I don't like to set up the 'scope so late for fear of disturbing the neighbours. Instead I used a 50mm lens & modded EOS 600D on a Vixen Polarie, for a series of sub-exposures of Orion/Monoceros.

All was going well until some thin cloud moved in from around 03:30. I was in bed by 04:10 (and up after barely 5 hours - I'll regret that later ?).

Regards, Mike.

At least ya stayed out, I’m gave up due to flood light two door down, was like day light ? 

Dave, get some pix posted if you get ya moon pix, I’m waiting on a phone adapter so I can try some pix.

will try again tonight and do some viewing, fingers crossed Mr bright light won’t be out. 

Well i set up last night and the sky was looking nice and clear. Simple set up this time. Old faithful 200p on the AZEQ6, good polar alignment and 600D connected to the laptop. I pointed towards the moon and set APT to take 250 short exposures. This was 9pm and I left it in good faith while spent time with her indoors. 3 hours later and I returned to the laptop to the dreaded BUSY... Not a single exposure recorded. Not one!!! Obviously I couldn't go to bed until this was sorted. Another hour of testing, changing leads etc. Turned out it was a setting in Magic Lantern had enabled the mirror lockup and for whatever reason this prevented APT from doing it's job. All sorted now but disappointed none the less. Why do we do this to ourselves?!

1 minute ago, david_taurus83 said:

Well i set up last night and the sky was looking nice and clear. Simple set up this time. Old faithful 200p on the AZEQ6, good polar alignment and 600D connected to the laptop. I pointed towards the moon and set APT to take 250 short exposures. This was 9pm and I left it in good faith while spent time with her indoors. 3 hours later and I returned to the laptop to the dreaded BUSY... Not a single exposure recorded. Not one!!! Obviously I couldn't go to bed until this was sorted. Another hour of testing, changing leads etc. Turned out it was a setting in Magic Lantern had enabled the mirror lockup and for whatever reason this prevented APT from doing it's job. All sorted now but disappointed none the less. Why do we do this to ourselves?!

I had something kind of similar last night. 

After the first hour of imaging I wanted to do a quick stack of the subs I had, but couldn't find where apt was saving them to. I paused the plan so I could go into apt settings and see the directory. I found where they were, opened astro art and stacked. Came back an hour later to see how things were getting on, but I hadn't clicked resume. Lost an hours worth of imaging time. 

15 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

I ended up with a reasonable effort last night after an hour observing, despite the haziness.

The image is much reduced to defeat the noise & I left a little hint of a halo to match the naked eye view a little bit.

745467930_moon19-10.thumb.png.aea0acd4b1e16a786a46524e2f5ecade.png

Nice capture, love looking at the moon 

16 minutes ago, Tonyhaz said:

Oh no guys how disappointing, all that time and effort, I bet you won’t do it again lol 

I would say never again but I'm sure it'll happen at some point. Same as when I left my bahtinov mask on. I've done that more than once. 

Here is a very quick process of the data I got last night. 27 x 300 second subs. 

stacked 27 subs ngc1275.jpg

53 minutes ago, alacant said:

...an hour or so later with very good seeing. Not usually as good as 0.6", so must have been the influence this thread. Thanks:)

canon 700d on 10" f4.7

792995944_7789-4(copy).thumb.jpg.80564338bf7ab7cc39c1d385250fc01b.jpg

I bring good fortunes ?

super image btw 

51 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

I would say never again but I'm sure it'll happen at some point. Same as when I left my bahtinov mask on. I've done that more than once. 

Here is a very quick process of the data I got last night. 27 x 300 second subs. 

stacked 27 subs ngc1275.jpg

Looking good, let’s hope tonight’s a clear one 

1 hour ago, Tonyhaz said:

Was great at 4pm when I got up, couldn’t be bothered to get my beast out, so I used my 80mm spotting scope ?

Set alarm for 3.30am looked out and it was still cloudy so didn't bother, woke up to clear blue skies :icon_cry:

Dave

Archived