Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unable to update SynScan V3 hand controller

msacco

Hello, Im trying to update my SynScan V3 hand controller and for some reason Im always getting an error while trying to update like this:

2.png.4e9d7c4cd768ee5391ec3300933a5560.png

When I tried updating earlier today, I've got this error when I reached 3.23% every time, now it happens earlier quite randomly, I tried searching for solutions for that, and I tried flashing in all modes (Li, Mi), but nothing helped, Im pretty sure I have V3 hand controller, because when I first connected I got this:

1.png.b8700236764e282b81e5e4ca89c553e4.png

The hardware was the same, the firmware was 3.35 if I recall, and the database was 2.27, I might be wrong, but thats what I remember having. I downloaded the latest firmware version (3.39.05) from the official skywatcher website, but it simply not working, I got an adapter from RS232 to USB because I have no RS232 slot in my motherboard, I tried flashing many times, I also tried flashing while connecting my hand controller to the main connector(not sure what its called), but that still didn't work.

When turning my hand set on Im getting the following message:

IMG_20180908_201826.thumb.jpg.bfefdb5958e6b56c07a397ae39eaa9fb.jpg

The most reasonable problems I can think of are:

1.I don't have Synscan V3(from what I've searched and saw, I do, but maybe Im dumb..)

2.Im trying to flash the wrong version(I just went to V3 firmwares and downloaded the most updated firmware, might be wrong tho)

3.I read in many places that because the USB speed might be too fast for the connection, the updating stops, but who knows...

Currently I can't even use my Synscan hand controller because it simply not turning on, only when Im trying to update, kinda lost and not sure what else I can try, would love to get some help, thanks! :) Hope I didn't miss any information.

Hello

Try to find out which HC Version you have.. just push the button HC Version and see which versoon is already installed..

Cheers

Martin

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, artem said:

Hello

Try to find out which HC Version you have.. just push the button HC Version and see which versoon is already installed..

Cheers

Martin

The picture I posted is what written when you click on the HC version..

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Had the same problem recently. Turned out to be the serial / usb adaptor that was the problem updating the driver didn’t help so bought another adaptor and no problem.

I can't really get another adaptor ? I ordered this one from aliexpress and it took about a month to arrive..What else can I do?

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Not the cheapest way but Skywatcher do a serial to usb cable. Is there a local Skywatcher dealer?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/sky-watcher-synscan-usb-to-serial-rs-232-cable.html

Meh, never gonna pay that much, and shipping to my country would cost like so much..

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

See if a friend has a PC with serial port

I'll try.

2 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Those cheap adapter cables dont work I know at my cost luckily son had the port on back of an old computer and did mine.

My sister got the connector, but the pc doesn't recognize the hand controller for a reason..

5 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Mine went through to 18% then kncked off could not get it working until son took it home went straight through

I'll try again using my sister's PC tomorrow, or maybe my brother's PC as well, I'll also see if I can limit the usb transfer rate(I remember having such option in the drivers or something similar) and hopefully it might help, and if not, I think I'll just try my friends PC one after another until it'll work x:

4 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Do you need to update the handset? I've never bothered doing mine and it works fine.

Well, if there's an updated version, which is usually better, why not? Besides, now my hand controller is not working at all, so I have no choice but to update.

Edited by msacco
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, stash_old said:

Make sure your Anti Virus checking isn't causing any problems.  Plus for some reason mine always works better under Windows Vista even though the dongle is an FTDI

I don't have an anti virus exactly for reasons like this, but it was probably just a problem with the cable adaptor, but finally I managed to get it working after all this mess:

IMG_20180909_151053.thumb.jpg.3c357c30ee3e838898dafd4c77fddc12.jpg

I need to figure how to get a real rs232 slot for my pc and that way I'll be sure, but there's no way Im trying to update my firmware anytime soon(and hopefully I won't even need).

Thanks for all the help guys!

I too had trouble updating my hand controller to the latest firmware version. I was connecting it to my computer using a serial to usb cable, but it would not update. After reading advice from other users on this site, I decided that it was probably the usb to serial cable. Fortunately my partners computer had a serial port. After connecting my hand set to the serial port the update went ahead with no problems and is now running fine. I would advise other people having updating problems not to use the usb to serial cable and try to use a computer with a serial port.

• Like 1

I used to be a member back in the eighties. Would love to go up again. I don't live far away. I'm only at Kilnhurst in Todmorden. I have a Skywatcher 120mm and a Skywatcher Synscan mount. I usually go down to the Old Royd Lock just past Weir Minerals to do my observing. It is reason ably dark and quiet there. It would be nice to meet other lime minded people.

Gary

On 09/09/2018 at 23:58, stash_old said:

Why not use the Windows or Android Syn Scan Pro App then you wouldn't need the handset at all - Just a SW Wifi Adapter ?  Clear Skies

Well Im never going to buy it for 60 euroes, but I happen to come across your thread about making your own wifi adapter, if possible, can you please explain to me exactly what I'll need in order to make one myself?

On 08/09/2018 at 18:39, msacco said:

Hello, Im trying to update my SynScan V3 hand controller and for some reason Im always getting an error while trying to update like this:

2.png.4e9d7c4cd768ee5391ec3300933a5560.png

When I tried updating earlier today, I've got this error when I reached 3.23% every time, now it happens earlier quite randomly, I tried searching for solutions for that, and I tried flashing in all modes (Li, Mi), but nothing helped, Im pretty sure I have V3 hand controller, because when I first connected I got this:

1.png.b8700236764e282b81e5e4ca89c553e4.png

The hardware was the same, the firmware was 3.35 if I recall, and the database was 2.27, I might be wrong, but thats what I remember having. I downloaded the latest firmware version (3.39.05) from the official skywatcher website, but it simply not working, I got an adapter from RS232 to USB because I have no RS232 slot in my motherboard, I tried flashing many times, I also tried flashing while connecting my hand controller to the main connector(not sure what its called), but that still didn't work.

When turning my hand set on Im getting the following message:

IMG_20180908_201826.thumb.jpg.bfefdb5958e6b56c07a397ae39eaa9fb.jpg

The most reasonable problems I can think of are:

1.I don't have Synscan V3(from what I've searched and saw, I do, but maybe Im dumb..)

2.Im trying to flash the wrong version(I just went to V3 firmwares and downloaded the most updated firmware, might be wrong tho)

3.I read in many places that because the USB speed might be too fast for the connection, the updating stops, but who knows...

Currently I can't even use my Synscan hand controller because it simply not turning on, only when Im trying to update, kinda lost and not sure what else I can try, would love to get some help, thanks! :) Hope I didn't miss any information.

Heh! I've done the update recently and all OK here.

Make sure you also have the latest updater.

If you like you could send me your handset - I'll try the update and send it back of course .....

(I have the USB to serial adapter with the correct chip inside - forget the spec, but it DOES matter......... I've been through the headache myself ........)

All the best. :)

On 13/09/2018 at 16:30, rockinrome said:

Heh! I've done the update recently and all OK here.

Make sure you also have the latest updater.

If you like you could send me your handset - I'll try the update and send it back of course .....

(I have the USB to serial adapter with the correct chip inside - forget the spec, but it DOES matter......... I've been through the headache myself ........)

All the best. :)

Thanks, but as I already wrote, I already managed to fix it. Besides, I'm not from the US, so shipping it to would've been super costly ^_^

• 1 month later...

So eventually the handset continue to function as usual when connected to the complete setup? Mine doesn't light up even though it beeps when connected to a power supply during update ( the firmware update failed ) so I think only if the update is successful then the handset will function as usual?

On 10/11/2018 at 01:24, ZiHao said:

So eventually the handset continue to function as usual when connected to the complete setup? Mine doesn't light up even though it beeps when connected to a power supply during update ( the firmware update failed ) so I think only if the update is successful then the handset will function as usual?

Mine didn't work when the update failed, it was taking a long time for the controller to boot and eventually give an error. I had to connect it to an old computer with a serial port and the update finished and the controller got working again. 

• Thanks 1