Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My back may change my mind?

7 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

I have the 14" Flextube and it is set up permanently on a trolley I got from B&Q. I just wheel it out of the garage when needed. My son calls it the 'trundlescope'. 

I agree that it is heavy if you need to do anything else. I certainly wouldn't want to set it up every time  

Link to trolley, please? 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

IMHO you'd be better off with one of these, more money but more quality, maybe biased because I've got one :grin:

Dave

Haha - yes, you're biased. I'm not an imager, so probably the LX90 is more ideal for my needs. Of course, I wouldn't mind an LX200 at a reasonable price. 

32 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Where is all this coma and curvature coming from in SCT's these days. I've used SCT's visually for over 30 years and currently own  6  from  8" - 16" and can't say I've ever particularly noticed it.    :icon_scratch:

Three possibilities: 1) My scope was somewhat uncalibrated 2) My eyepieces weren't up to standards (but all of them?!) 3) My eyes were defective. I lean towards option 1. 

How do you view your experience with the 8"? 

26 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

However the 14" Dob base flat would not go through that door! ?

Thanks for the link. I thought you meant something like a base dolley. I'm good then, I've got 2of these trollies in the garage. :D

No worries, the conservatory has a large double-door. A car can go through that ;) 

2 hours ago, Rob said:

However Russ (another founder member of SGL with myself) did some extensive tests on a shoot out between the black tube C8 & ED100. We both agreed they performed equally.

Very interesting, I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest, but should Emad be considering an ED100 instead of an 8" SCT then? :evil:

27 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Very interesting, I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest, but should Emad be considering an ED100 instead of an 8" SCT then? :evil:

Yes, very interesting, but I can't help but wonder how's that possible? the ED100 is half the aperture of an 8" SCT. Maybe the image brightness was similar, but there should be some difference in, at least, the resolving power. 

23 minutes ago, RobertI said:

No.   ?    ?  Twice the resolution and nearly 4x light grasp.

2 hours ago, emadmoussa said:

Three possibilities: 1) My scope was somewhat uncalibrated 2) My eyepieces weren't up to standards (but all of them?!) 3) My eyes were defective. I lean towards option 1. 

How do you view your experience with the 8"? 

My post wasn't directed at your experience, it's just that I've seen this appraisal  mentioned several times recently.  My C8se has given me some of my best lunar and planetary views albeit based in Tenerife.

17 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

No.   ?    ?  Twice the resolution and nearly 4x light grasp.

That was my feeling too, especially based on my comparison between my (admittedly achro) 100mm and C8, where the the smaller scope could only ever compete when resolving tight doubles under poor conditions, but otherwise showed much dimmer DSOs and much less resolution. I was curious to see what others thought though.....

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

My post wasn't directed at your experience, it's just that I've seen this appraisal  mentioned several times recently.  My C8se has given me some of my best lunar and planetary views albeit based in Tenerife.

Didn't take it this way :)

If you have somewhere to store a scope fully set up, and can roll out to view, I'd be tempted to think about getting the best new/2nd hand dob with detachable wheelbarrow handles.

New within budget could be a >0.95 strehl 14" Deluxe Lukehurst.

If you want a 2nd scope like a frac, save up at a later date ;)

5 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Where is all this coma and curvature coming from in SCT's these days. I've used SCT's visually for over 30 years and currently own  6  from  8" - 16" and can't say I've ever particularly noticed it.    :icon_scratch:

Do you use Super or hyperwide eyepieces at all Peter? I can see coma on standard SCT's easily with either of these types of EP. The Edge variants are a dream in comparison with these really wide EP's.  

22 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Do you use Super or hyperwide eyepieces at all Peter? I can see coma on standard SCT's easily with either of these types of EP. The Edge variants are a dream in comparison with these really wide EP's.  

To be honest, no. I use the C8 mainly for lunar and planets, mostly with a binoviewer that doesn't permit large hyperwide eyepieces.    ? 

I passingly mentioned to the government, I mean the Mrs, that I might get two scopes, her face changed!! Apparently, she was planning on turning our conservatory into another sitting area and, apparently again, she was going to tolerate a 12" SCT in the corner simply because it didn't look ugly and it was 1 single scope. A 14" Dob, according to her, is too big and looked like R2D2. Erm...I can't think of any tricks where I can slip in a 14" Dob under the radar ?  I could probably sneak in a 4" apo at some point and pretend it's a glorified finder for the 12".  ? 

How about the garage? It's big, she suggested. Sure, like I can move a 14" from the garage and up 4 steps onto the deck. I miss the old days when I actually had little veins on my biceps. 

Men and their toys!!! What can I say?! Sigh!! 

How to sneak in R2D2?! Erm... I wonder! Probably a £5 Aldi's brand flowers will do the trick! 

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

To be honest, no. I use the C8 mainly for lunar and planets, mostly with a binoviewer that doesn't permit large hyperwide eyepieces.    ? 

So, my issue was the eyepieces. I mostly used 100-deg Explore Scientific EPs. 

38 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

Yes. My only observing spot. The decking is large and about 80cm elevated. 

Don't you suffer from vibrations at high magnifications if the tripod is standing on the decking ?

Archived