Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horse Head nebula viewing equipment

I've just about managed it with my 12" dob under the darkest sky that I can get here and using a H-Beta filter:

It was very, very difficult to see and I have tried quite a few times with no success.

Smaller aperture scopes can do it but you need really, really dark skies and plenty of patience !

3 hours ago, GavStar said:

Or night vision monoculars ?

That's what I was going to suggest.  Eddgie over on CN has no problem seeing the Horsehead or just about any other nebula with the latest night vision gear and the proper filters from within the light dome of Austin, TX.

Either, as mentioned an investment and comprehension for NV technology.

Or else an investment in patience, accumulation of observing practice (such as employing averted vision), determination, knowledge for what to expect and where to expect it, understanding for optimum optical / filter preference, very dark sky, very dark adapted eyes and great transparency. Aperture probably above a 6" dob, unless option one for NV, will be necessary. 

After all this and after several years of trying (option two), what you will see will be unremarkable. Yet for some it will draw a line and a tick in which to move on, for others (such as myself) it becomes a much anticipated seasonal target to visit, as once seen (with conviction) - averted vision or otherwise, will, in favourable conditions, always be there. 

15 hours ago, John said:

I've just about managed it with my 12" dob under the darkest sky that I can get here and using a H-Beta filter:

It was very, very difficult to see and I have tried quite a few times with no success.

Smaller aperture scopes can do it but you need really, really dark skies and plenty of patience !

Wow , great read. Hope to be able to experience the same one day!! Thanks 

8 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Either, as mentioned an investment and comprehension for NV technology.

Or else an investment in patience, accumulation of observing practice (such as employing averted vision), determination, knowledge for what to expect and where to expect it, understanding for optimum optical / filter preference, very dark sky, very dark adapted eyes and great transparency. Aperture probably above a 6" dob, unless option one for NV, will be necessary. 

After all this and after several years of trying (option two), what you will see will be unremarkable. Yet for some it will draw a line and a tick in which to move on, for others (such as myself) it becomes a much anticipated seasonal target to visit, as once seen (with conviction) - averted vision or otherwise, will, in favourable conditions, always be there. 

Great advice thank you 

10 hours ago, Louis D said:

That's what I was going to suggest.  Eddgie over on CN has no problem seeing the Horsehead or just about any other nebula with the latest night vision gear and the proper filters from within the light dome of Austin, TX.

Have to win the lottery first Louis :grin:

Dave

1 hour ago, Waldemar said:

In the US far better NV gear is available than in the EU.

The reason: it is not allowed to export, because it is millitary equipment

I suggest you try a "Photonis 4g INTENS" tube (available from a supplier in Luxembourg) and see if you still think the US gear is "far better" !

The key is to get a tube of the "right spec for astronomy".

I am very very happy with the results that I am getting with my European sourced Night Vision equipment :) Check out the observing reports section and see if I can see stuff that you cannot!

I see you are an imager so here is a response statement for you to investigate "I can see objects immediately at the eyepiece that you need to take several hours of subs and the help of computer processing to see and I use European sourced Night Vision technology".

I think a more accurate statement would have been "In the US, far cheaper NV gear is available than in the EU" as it is certainly expensive to buy the latest NV technology from a European based supplier.

Hope this furthers your understanding,

Alan

Lots of folks can see stuff that I cannot. They either have larger aperture scopes, observe at darker sites, have access to NV equipment or are simply better observers than I am.

Luckily astronomy is not a competitive pastime. All we can do is to use the resources, circumstances and skills that we have as best we can.

For me the satisfaction comes when I've pushed what I have available towards it's limits within the constraints I observe under and given the limits of my skills. This will leave many things "unseen" of course but as long as I'm enjoying myself, I can live with that :smile:

Some of the best reports on this forum and indeed some of my own best experiences, have come with very modest equipment and sometimes, with none at all !

Seeing the Horsehead Nebula though does need some "helping hands" :wink:

1 hour ago, Waldemar said:

Thank you Alan, I will try to find that Luxemburg supplier.
I tried to get the L3 gen 3 equipment in europe, but always got the same answer:  'Only US citizens can buy those' for the reasons I mentioned... 

I will PM you

1 hour ago, John said:

Luckily astronomy is not a competitive pastime. All we can do is to use the resources, circumstances and skills that we have as best we can.

Shame everyone does not think so. There also seems to be green eyed envy at play too.

2 hours ago, John said:

Well said John. I love using any kit I happen to have at hand and trying to get the best out of it. I would love to have the chance to see the Horsey in a decent sized dob under a dark sky, but for the moment I have to content myself with the remarkable views I have had through Gavin’s NV gear. Little point being jealous, I can’t afford one, but I do enjoy getting to look through it every now and then :)

To the OP, I seem to remember reading about someone seeing the HH through a 6” scope many moons ago, but can’t find that on the web now. Of the reports I’ve read, 16” seems to be regularly capable of it on decent nights, and I think John’s 12” is the smallest I’ve read of recently. Basically dark sky, aperture, transparency and a lot of patience, skill and also luck seem to be the order of the day! Easy then :)

Archived