Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

help eyepiece choice

I have made up my mind on what mount and telescope to get, but the Skywatcher 150/750 PDS with 2" focuser comes only with a 28mm eyepiece (dont know the aFOV yet)

Can anyone recommend a 5-6mm + brand that would go good with this telescope?

18 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

One word.... "Televue".... 

Would that be the Tele Vue Nagler 3-6mm Zoom at £389, the Tele Vue Nagler Type 6 5mm at £303, The Tele Vue Delos 6mm at £329, the Tele Vue Delite 5mm at £244 or the Tele Vue Ethos 6mm at £561 ? :smiley:

They are great eyepieces but (apart from the Delite) each costs around as much as the scope and the mount in this instance.

I agree with the posters who suggest a BST Explorer 5mm which costs a touch under £50.

They are very good eyepieces for their cost :smiley:

22 minutes ago, John said:

Would that be the Tele Vue Nagler 3-6mm Zoom at £389, the Tele Vue Nagler Type 6 5mm at £303, The Tele Vue Delos 6mm at £329, the Tele Vue Delite 5mm at £244 or the Tele Vue Ethos 6mm at £561 ? :smiley:

They are great eyepieces but (apart from the Delite) each costs around as much as the scope and the mount in this instance.

I agree with the posters who suggest a BST Explorer 5mm which costs a touch under £50.

I've never used BST so I cant comment but I own Naglers and a Ethos and those eyepiece are sharp and clear... definitely the best I have, so just sharing my experience.

5 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I just dont get it.

Im a happy camper with £30-40 Plossls. 

Each to their own.

So was I until I made the "mistake" of looking through a 31mm Type 5 Nagler.....

9 hours ago, John said:

£37.99 now from Skies the Limit! Amazing value really and the 5mm will be fine at f5. 

@Edward Dewolf: There is a large gap between a 28mm and a 5mm eyepiece. I would recommend also getting something in the 10-12mm range as well to split that gap. If you let us know what your budget is we can give alternative options to those already suggested.

19 minutes ago, Edward Dewolf said:

Thank you for all the feedback so far. 

Are zoom eyepieces really worth the money?

Depends on the brand? Do you have your eye on a particular one?

16 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

So was I until I made the "mistake" of looking through a 31mm Type 5 Nagler.....

I've compared the 4.5mm, 6.5mm, and 9mm Meade HD-60 to the 5.2mm Pentax XL, 7mm Pentax XW, 9mm Morpheus and Vixen LV and have not been able to detect any significant difference in resolution, scatter control, stray light control, or contrast between them on bright and dim objects.  All are sharp center to edge with no field curvature, astigmatism or chromatism at the edge.  The only difference is in the apparent field of view.  These new 60 degree eyepieces are really a major leap forward in affordable eyepieces in the 10mm and under category.  Above 10mm, they've still got some work to do to match best in class.

I bought the entire set of HD-60s just to see what all the hubbub was about.  Half are excellent as noted above, one (the 12mm) is acceptable, and two (the 18mm and 25mm) are not recommended.  The BST Starguiders are reportedly similar in performance.

21 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Good choice of scope. BST eyepieces seem extremely popular and not too expensive. 

I have the BST Starguiders on my 150PDS 8mm and 18mm and are really good eyepieces on a budget.

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

I've compared the 4.5mm, 6.5mm, and 9mm Meade HD-60 to the 5.2mm Pentax XL, 7mm Pentax XW, 9mm Morpheus and Vixen LV and have not been able to detect any significant difference in resolution, scatter control, stray light control, or contrast between them on bright and dim objects.  All are sharp center to edge with no field curvature, astigmatism or chromatism at the edge.  The only difference is in the apparent field of view.  These new 60 degree eyepieces are really a major leap forward in affordable eyepieces in the 10mm and under category.  Above 10mm, they've still got some work to do to match best in class.

I bought the entire set of HD-60s just to see what all the hubbub was about.  Half are excellent as noted above, one (the 12mm) is acceptable, and two (the 18mm and 25mm) are not recommended.  The BST Starguiders are reportedly similar in performance.

The Televue's I own and my pride seems to be inline with your above described experience... I am talking about the 31mm Type 5 Nagler, the 17mm Ethos and the 11mm Type 6 Nagler. All give excellent views, and the 82° (100° Ethos) really do look like staring into vast openness...

Even coupled with the 2X Powermate, essentially halving the focal length of eyepieces, still keeps their sharpness and quality (seeing permitting). 

11mm + 2X PM with Baader Contrast Booster and Neodymium filters stacked is by far my favourite combination for planetary observation.

On 06/08/2018 at 10:44, Ricochet said:

£37.99 now from Skies the Limit! Amazing value really and the 5mm will be fine at f5. 

@Edward Dewolf: There is a large gap between a 28mm and a 5mm eyepiece. I would recommend also getting something in the 10-12mm range as well to split that gap. If you let us know what your budget is we can give alternative options to those already suggested.

So i am getting a 28mm already

All BST's are about 55€ which is fine.  I was thinking of getting maybe 2 to start with.  Also I would like to make sure that when I add a barlow, I do not get any overlap

On 06/08/2018 at 10:44, Ricochet said:

@Ricochet : I would really appreciate that.  I was thinking about 2 or 3 eye pieces + barlow if possible for maybe 200 euro?  What would be possible?

12 hours ago, Edward Dewolf said:

@Ricochet : I would really appreciate that.  I was thinking about 2 or 3 eye pieces + barlow if possible for maybe 200 euro?  What would be possible?

I think that for €200 you can only get 3 eyepieces and a barlow if you stick to basic Plossl eyepieces. You are probably better off buying something that is a little bit nicer and more expensive so maybe 3 items in total. At the prices already discussed I think it is difficult to look past the Starguiders, but they are much cheaper in the UK than elsewhere. It's probably worth emailing Alan at Skies the Limit to see if he can ship some to Belgium. If not, I'm sure FLO (sponsors of this forum) will do so and while their price is higher than the StL price, it is still cheaper than European suppliers (~€100!). If you did want to go down this route and keep your existing 28mm then I would say start by looking at the 5 and the 12. You then have to fill two gaps with only one more eyepiece so you have to choose between the 8 and the 18. I think the 8 is a better performer so I would go with that.

An alternative eyepiece line would be the Baader Classic Orthos, In the UK they are about £50 each, or I have found that Eurekashop.be has them at €65 each. I'll leave it to you to do currency conversions and postage comparisons to work out which is cheaper. These eyepieces are 50° (compared to the 60° Starguiders), sharper across most of the field, but no good if you need to wear glasses while observing. If you went with those then they only come as 6, 10 and 18mm options. There is also a 32mm Plossl in the line but with your existing 28mm you don't need that.

If you want wider apparent fields of view then at f5 you're going to be best off looking at the Explore Scientific options in 68° and 82°. The shorter Starguiders and ES68°s are a nice match, but with all these ES eyepieces you'll have to push your budget to get two, and/or keep an eye on the second hand market. I would also recommend the 82° line sold under Skywatcher Nivana, William Optics UWAN, TS Optics, etc brands. They are all the same eyepieces from the same factory, just with different brands stamped on the outside.

Archived