NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Are my EP`s redundant ?

While at work today i found myself trying to remember whats in my EP case, its now occurred to me that i dont really use my EP`s no more, so i have just been in my storage area and dug out (found) my case, so working down i have an Antares 40mm plossl....Revelation 32mm plossl....25mm and 20mm skywatcher silvertop plossl`s.....BCO18mm....Revelation 15mm superview......BST starguider 12mm......Antares 9mm and 7mm ortho (like BGO) and to finish of i have a Revelation x2.5 barlow.

These are for my 127 skymax (i do own an Opticstar 90mm frac but dont use it) seeing as i tend to just use the cannon 1000D with my scope i feel i could whittle this down to just.....Antares 40mm.....silvertop 25mm.....BCO18mm....Antares 9mm ortho and keep the barlow, this will halve my ep`s and give another person the pleasure of them,   is this the right thing to do? 

Think I'd want to keep most of your EPs Jules if I had your two contrasting telescopes - though I'm visual only so would use most of them regularly. Definitely keep both Antares orthos, BCO, Antares 40mm and I'd have thought the Revelation 32mm plossl would be useful for your Mak. Never experienced a BST but they're always well reviewed so you might regret selling it. Maybe lose one of the Skywatcher plossls? Which I know is probably not the answer you were looking for, but then I'm an eyepiece lover and have many more than I absolutely need. 

For any one scope I use two, or very exceptionally three EPs.  I'm not into finessing on focal lengths myself. I like one that's good quality, about the right magnification and exit pupil, and then I just concentrate on looking.

Olly

27 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Definitely keep the two Antares Ortho's Jules, very high quality, high power eyepieces, and you would not replace them easily if you decided that you should not have sold them. :smiley:

I quite agree. It’s good to have a range in the shorter focal lengths to account for the seeing on any given night. Orthos are stunningly good value for money 

I would agree, keep the 9 and 7mm Ortho Jules, and loose the barlow. The only place it makes sense to use is with the 9mm to give 4.5m equivalent which would be x333 which I bet you wouldn't use. The 7mm gives you x214 which is plenty.

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

I would agree, keep the 9 and 7mm Ortho Jules, and loose the barlow. The only place it makes sense to use is with the 9mm to give 4.5m equivalent which would be x333 which I bet you wouldn't use. The 7mm gives you x214 which is plenty.

Thinking about it yes, the 2 ortho`s are premium and going to be very hard to replace if i wanted to, with the Mak i think the 32mm is now surplus with the 40mm plossl being a tiny bit better for the Mak.....i see a bit of moderating has taken place. Ta for that 

4 hours ago, nightfisher said:

While at work today i found myself trying to remember whats in my EP case, its now occurred to me that i dont really use my EP`s no more, so i have just been in my storage area and dug out (found) my case, so working down i have an Antares 40mm plossl....Revelation 32mm plossl....25mm and 20mm skywatcher silvertop plossl`s.....BCO18mm....Revelation 15mm superview......BST starguider 12mm......Antares 9mm and 7mm ortho (like BGO) and to finish of i have a Revelation x2.5 barlow.

These are for my 127 skymax (i do own an Opticstar 90mm frac but dont use it) seeing as i tend to just use the cannon 1000D with my scope i feel i could whittle this down to just.....Antares 40mm.....silvertop 25mm.....BCO18mm....Antares 9mm ortho and keep the barlow, this will halve my ep`s and give another person the pleasure of them,   is this the right thing to do? 

Personally (as a visual observer), i'd keep them all. You seem to use camera more?. In this case keep the 32mm, 15mm and and 9mm. Thats all you need for visual.

25 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

In this case keep the 32mm, 15mm and and 9mm. Thats all you need for visual.

40mm works well with a max to give a larger Exit pupil, and makes sense to keep a high power for lunar observing.

I stepped away from amateur astronomy for quite a few years while raising my kids.  Once they reached high school and college, I was able to find the time to get back into it.  Luckily, I hadn't sold anything, so I was able to start observing again without delay.  Hold onto your eyepieces in case your interests change back to visual astronomy in the future.

8 hours ago, Louis D said:

I stepped away from amateur astronomy for quite a few years while raising my kids.  Once they reached high school and college, I was able to find the time to get back into it.  Luckily, I hadn't sold anything, so I was able to start observing again without delay.  Hold onto your eyepieces in case your interests change back to visual astronomy in the future.

I know what your saying but i dont see this changing, i dont NEED to get rid of any of them, but i dont like things hanging around that just dont get used, and it would be nice to go back to a smaller ep case

18 hours ago, Stu said:

40mm works well with a max to give a larger Exit pupil, and makes sense to keep a high power for lunar observing.

I used to have a 40mm eLux. 43°afov. It was like looking through a smarties tube. I used it with Heritage 130p.

I used to have a 40mm eLux. 43°afov. It was like looking through a smarties tube. I used it with Heritage 130p.

Exactly the point, wrong eyepiece for the scope. 40mm in an f5 scope gives an 8mm exit pupil. Washed out view, no real point.

40mm eyepiece in an f12 scope gives a 3.3mm exit pupil, usefully larger than a 32mm and worth putting up with the narrow field of view for the benefits, particularly when using narrowband filters, UHC/OIII etc.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Exactly the point, wrong eyepiece for the scope. 40mm in an f5 scope gives an 8mm exit pupil. Washed out view, no real point.

40mm eyepiece in an f12 scope gives a 3.3mm exit pupil, usefully larger than a 32mm and worth putting up with the narrow field of view for the benefits, particularly when using narrowband filters, UHC/OIII etc.

I have not had a chance to try the 40mm plossl yet, after all i have only had it about 6 months, but a 32mm works well in the skymax, so the 40mm should give about same field of view with a tiny bit less mag, should be rather nice

Archived