SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Thoughts on Binaries

Hi all, I must admit that I have neglected the area of double stars. However, this time of the year there are some fine doubles worth observing,particularly as it does not get dark until late on. Last night, I thought I would give it a try and logged about a dozen. The main ones were Alberio, Epsilon Lyrae Gamma (Y) Delphini and 61 Cygni. A very satisfying half hour before moving on to other things..........Dave

Nice one Dave, they are always worth a look. I had a quick squiz around a few old favourites again last night. Alberio - snap! Double Double - snap! Then a few tighter ones like Izar and Pi Aquilae. Nice way to spend a lighter evening.

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice one Dave, they are always worth a look. I had a quick squiz around a few old favourites again last night. Alberio - snap! Double Double - snap! Then a few tighter ones like Izar and Pi Aquilae. Nice way to spend a lighter evening.

It’s Albireo.

?

7 minutes ago, Floater said:

It’s Albireo.

?

Listen, I already changed it from Alberto which is what the spool chocker thought it should be, I thought I was doing well! ;);) 

For those not into doubles, you should be ?

The whole sky is stuffed with them at all seasons of the year, fascinating in their variety, some easy, some tough, lots of the theory of astronomy regarding them to learn, least affected by light pollution, what’s not to like !!

Can you tell I like them ?

Ed.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Listen, I already changed it from Alberto which is what the spool chocker thought it should be, I thought I was doing well! ;);) 

1 hour ago, John said:

Albeeryoh is a realy nice double, coloured as well. Just about split in a 9x50 finder :grin:

Iota Cassiopeia is also a favorite of mine - a lovely triple !

Okay, okay. I suppose these are gentle ways to tell me I need to get out more ...

... just wish I could get Albireo out of my head! ??

Actually it does bother me as well, at least in my own posts. I often have to do a couple of edits to corrent spelling errors that I notice after I've posted. They niggle me :rolleyes2:

2 hours ago, John said:

Actually it does bother me as well, at least in my own posts. I often have to do a couple of edits to corrent spelling errors that I notice after I've posted. They niggle me :rolleyes2:

I'm a bit like that with Fluorite and Flourite, John..

Thuogh whi aneone wud won't too owne a skope wiv ah lenz mayd Fromm flour deefeets mee!! ?:grin::help:

(..and I can't tell you how difficult spell check made that last paragraph!??).

Dave

Just now, kerrylewis said:

Neodymium is my nemesis- I have to look it up every time, and even then I’m not sure ?

You should try its close cousin, praeseodymium!

Re Albireo, you can see why many folk prefer more scientific names, although they are less colourful of course (unlike doubles, which are often very colourful, unlike those faint fuzzy thingies). I believe that the name Albireo is in fact a mistake?

Chris

2 minutes ago, DAVE AMENDALL said:

My thread seems to have changed to a Scientific latin grammar and spelling quiz. How about Per adem ad Astra or "Whats dat dim wittle lites in da sky Clim?

Apologies Dave - to get back to your subject; I love doubles too. I find the Cambridge Double Star Atlas to be invaluable and I am gradually ticking  them off on the list in that book. A good starting point is to go for the ones marked as 'showpiece'. Many on SGL swear by the Sissy Haas book, I just happen to prefer the Cambridge one. Sky Safari is very helpful too for locating the more obvious ones.

Ah yes the Cambridge Double Star Atlas, so many examples I tend to stick to the showpiece ones because of the sheer quantity. I haven't seen Sky Safari.thanks for the mention,worth a look. The Belmont Society Double Star List is worth a Google............Dave

13 hours ago, Floater said:

Sorry, it’s a thing I have that I cannot resist. Like a tic.

No acrimony at all, it’s Albireo. ??

I have a similar problem Gordon.....It's only "it's" when shortening "it is" - no apostrophe otherwise. It's a problem that has worked its way into my head (etc).

11 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

For those not into doubles, you should be ?

The whole sky is stuffed with them at all seasons of the year, fascinating in their variety, some easy, some tough, lots of the theory of astronomy regarding them to learn, least affected by light pollution, what’s not to like !!

Can you tell I like them ?

Ed.

Took the words out of my mouth. Binaries are fascinating and compelling targets - particularly for city dwellers

Archived