Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar Eclipse 27/7-2018 Timelapse

The-MathMog

As many others, I was out taking pictures of the Lunar Eclipse this Friday. Though the moon didn't rise until half way through the eclipse, and clouds coming in just as it rose above the horizon, it cleared out and I gave it a go!
I hadn't planned doing an actual time-lapse, hence why the exposure length and color balance is all over the place. Not until I sat down and had a look at the pictures at least. Some of them I tried to fix with Photoshop, but it was honestly a very big task at hand, so I only did minor adjustments, and then just added the some stills at the end of it.
But have a look if you like! :D

As always simply observing the eclipse was also a treat, and this was only my second time watching one!

Thanks for watching. Next time I will definitely try to actually properly prepare for a timelapse, instead of just smashing whatever pictures I captured together :p

Very nice done, particularly given that a time lapse wasn't your first intention! I remember being amazed at the exposure difference required between fully eclipsed and even during the partial eclipse, let alone back to full when I watched the one a few years back (2015?)

My eye seemed to adjust to the brightness quite easily though, making the eclipsed moon still appear quite bright, but the camera said otherwise!

4 hours ago, The-MathMog said:

As always simply observing the eclipse was also a treat, and this was only my second time watching one!

Personally I think that photography doesn't match seeing the eclipse live through binoculars or a telescope.... Photos are great records of the event, but theres is something in seeing the eclipse with our own eyes.

I have never seen the colors and hues of the actual eclipse matched in any photos.

Archived