Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging during Astromonical Twilight

AlistairW

Do people image during astronomical twilight ? - I decided not too, but am now wondering if i should have. What issues are there associated when imagining when not dark - more gradients(?). I am guessing these can be processed out though.

Alistair

I take the view that clear nights when I can image are such a rare commodity that it's worth using them whenever they arise, be it in mid summer or when the moon is around. Of course the quality of the data takes a hit but if you manage your expectations accordingly then why not. All the other skills and techniques benefit from the time spent imaging, so the chances of fully utilising the opportunities under ideal conditions are much improved.

Well, in about a days time, things will get gradually better for a good 10 months.

I have to admit, the Deep Sky imaging window up't here in Yorkshire is about 12 midnight to 2 ish in the morning (at very best ) at this time of year.

@Tomato is right, getting the routines sorted is half of the battle these days.

A forecast clear night is sadly quite rare, well that is how it seems, so if the deep sky stuff is off the menu then go Lunar, planetary, double star, occultation.......

Even though I only get one, maybe 2 hours of decent darkness now I'm still out whenever possible.

At the moment, practicing with my gear is as important for me as imaging. Got a lot of new stuff and software to learn in order to really get going once the nights get longer again.

Also, as I'm fairly new into astrophotography, I really enjoy setting up, trying new ways for allignement and playing with some settings to see how I can improve.

1 minute ago, Craney said:

Well, in about a days time, things will get gradually better for a good 10 months.

Really looking forward to this fall / winter. 

2 hours ago, Forunke said:

At the moment, practicing with my gear is as important for me as imaging. Got a lot of new stuff and software to learn in order to really get going once the nights get longer again.

Yes I find this time of the year useful for sorting out equipment ready for the inevitably few clear, long cold nights of winter.

Last year I imaged the Eastern Veil Nebula in narrowband on the morning of the summer solstice i.e. 21st June.  Not my best image but good fun and surprising to be able to do this in mid-summer! 

SHO processed2 (Small).jpg

2 hours ago, groberts said:

Not my best image but good fun and surprising to be able to do this in mid-summer! 

Trying to get my first Ha frames of the Eagle Nebula tonight.

Hope I can deliver an image rather soon

I'm using the clear nights we're having to try and sort out my tilt problems. 

I also use it for venturing out to find decent dark sites. I found a nice place the other week that I could just make out the milky way which means when astronomical darkness returns it should be a great location. 

Archived