Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn 15-06-2018

U Cyg

I waited until Saturn was at its highest before trying to capture any images, seeing had dropped off quite a bit since imaging Jupiter, so I was quite pleased with this one.  I'm still struggling to get anything from the colour image!

The first image is at capture size.

Saturn-15-06-2018_0153UT_L.png?raw=1

Saturn-15-06-2018_0153UT.png?raw=1

Saturn at 15 degrees, 8" SCT  2x barlow  ADC  Pro Planet 742  ASI 224

Angie

That is a very nice image given the poor atmospheric conditions. shame your not getting anything from the colour image, but there is something about grey scale that gives the impression of sharpness and contrast, I like it. nice one.

Tim

Nice image there’s no colour due to the type of filter you are using , a IR PASS filter   , it gives better detail but no colour ?

Main use

The Astronomik ProPlanet IR 742 cuts off the visible part of the spectrum and allows the light of wavelengths longer then 742nm to pass. Due to this behavior the part of the spectrum that is most sensitive to bad seeing is rejected. This approach does a big improvement to the imaging of planets and the moon. The image is more steady than the image in the visible light with nearly identical exposure times.

Thank you Tim and bottletopburly. ?

bottletopburly, I didn't make it clear that the colour image was taken after removing the IR pass filter and replacing the IR block filter.  ? 

Angie

You have certainly captured some fine detail Angie from your 8"sct. I can definitely see some activity around the pole region. It is a shame you can't get the colour but I know it is very difficult with saturn being so low. Dont give up on the colour just yet as I'm sure you will get it at some point this apparition.

2 hours ago, U Cyg said:

Thank you Tim and bottletopburly. ?

bottletopburly, I didn't make it clear that the colour image was taken after removing the IR pass filter and replacing the IR block filter.  ? 

Angie

Is it a Osc  camera if so did you debayer  image ? 

Those are great images, showing some real subtle detail. In the distant past I also used an 8 inch SCT, but struggled to get such fine views. I note you are observing from Hereford, as the crows flies not too far from my own patch in the Wyre Forest, near Bewdley.  Many thanks for posting.  Chris.  

Thank you Martyn & Chris, and all who pressed the like button. ?

bottletopburly, the camera is OSC with high sensitivity to IR.  No problems capturing the colour data, it just wasn't good enough on this occasion to produce a decent image. ?

Angie

Excellent images, Angie! Nice detail, Cassini & Encke especially, and the gorgeous clouds. Your 8"SCT in combination with the ASI 224/IR-pass filter really delivers. I want to invest in one of the ZWO cameras as well. :)

Reggie

Archived