NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Amazing ISS Pass

John

Great views of Venus followed by the GRS transitting Jupiter this evening but the highlight has just been a really bright pass of the ISS which I actually managed to catch at the scope eyepiece 3 times during the pass at 150x or so. While they were only glimpses as the ISS crossed the field of view, the bright, wide "H" form of the space station was quite clear with the solar arrays resolved on both sides of the body of the craft.

Remarkable - I've not seen it so clearly before ! :grin:

Nice one, John. I have caught the ISS in the eyepiece a couple of times and it's a great sight.

The sky cleared here about an hour ago and I thought I'd go set-up the ED120 for a look at Jupiter through my new Baader 2" Zeiss Prism. I then remembered I sold all of my eyepieces and posted them off this morning so had nothing to look through :lol: 

36 minutes ago, DRT said:

I then remembered I sold all of my eyepieces and posted them off this morning so had nothing to look through :lol: 

I’ve read many posts on SGL which have caused me to wonder. This one, Derek, takes top prize!

Eh!? How can you do that?! ??

15 minutes ago, Floater said:

I’ve read many posts on SGL which have caused me to wonder. This one, Derek, takes top prize!

Eh!? How can you do that?! ??

All will become clear in a few days, and in another thread ?

Nice one John, sounds good.

I was clear here too last night and it would have been excellent, sadly due to my bumping about in the morning on my bike was not up to a session with my kit.

I did try a quick one handed binocular look at Jupiter, oh for image stabilised Optics is all I can say, the sky was very stable and very transparent, would have been good, ah well, the sky will wait as they say.

I hope others got a good session in and enjoyed themselves.

I only had an hour or two before cloud arrived, but I wanted a test run of guiding, so I went for M13 with the  have to start thinking of Saturnb soon.130PDS, looking at Jupiter with bins it would have been a good night for it... have to think about Saturn soon

I had an alert from SkySafari just as I was posting my heads up on GRS so managed to catch it just naked eye as it went overhead. Always enjoy seeing it and as you say, it’s amazing through a scope just how much you can see. I’ve tracked it for extended periods at x50 or 60 but never tried at x150! Bet it looked amazing!

Caught the ISS unexpectedly whilst looking around the Virgo area, followed it at approx x25 but unable to make out any discernible detail.

Need to plan things out a bit better, like Stu using SkySafari 

Archived