SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Incoming Vixen 80mm f11.4 Achromat

Having been quietly looking for one for a while, to fill a space in my heart for a classic achro.
I have just purchased and await the Vixen 80M Japan made.

247538385_Vixen80Masbought.jpg.1e40e68e428c7c789f41ff7049ae926f.jpg

I need rings for it, so will be placing a wanted for Vixen rings.

I know how it should perform having again looked through a fellow SGL and CPAC members 80 last night at Jupiter,
thanks Ed, well we did before the mist rolled in.

Watch this space for my in the post thread and first light.

I feel like a child awaiting Christmas.........

I've got one of those too and had it since 1990.  It's especially good as a solar scope with a filter.  You can get an adapter to use 1.25" accessories if it comes with old Japanese 0.9" visual back.

9 minutes ago, SnakeyJ said:

My 80m makes a lovely white light solar scope, but hasn't been out since last summer - time to renew old acquaintances!

Jake, funnily that is one of its intended purposes.
However based on last nights Jupiter observing, I think it will find a far wider use ?

A lovely looking thing, I am sure it will perform beautifully, looking forward to hearing how you get on. I am ashamed to say I haven't yet tried my Tal for white light solar, but I will now!

Well after much courier drama the scope has arrived.

It has some marks in the paint that were not shown or noted, but that's OK for an older scope (28 years old).
Sadly the damned fitting is .965" into the focuser, its on a threaded insert, so an adaptor must be available.
Again sadly the fitting size was not marked in the vendors description.
I am told that this was standard on these scopes, perhaps I did not read up enough.

Has anyone overcome this problem with a simple screw in fitting?

6 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Has anyone overcome this problem with a simple screw in fitting?

In the past I’ve used a hybrid diagonal with is 0.965” scope side, 1.25” on the eyepiece side. Or you can get converters which you put a 1.25” diagonal in.

56 minutes ago, John said:

My old Vixen SP102M was .965 fitting when I got it. I found a Vixen 1.25" adapter somewhere. I expect the folks at Vixen can help:

https://www.vixenoptics.co.uk/

I think it might be the 2nd item on this page, but check with Vixen first:

https://www.vixenoptics.co.uk/Pages/eyepiece_adapters.htm

John

Sorry somehow I missed your pointer.
Yes I think you are correct, I had found the same adaptor listed at FLO.
I have spoken with the vendor, who is looking for an adaptor in his emporium for me.
One way or another this fine baby will get working ?

57 minutes ago, Stu said:

In the past I’ve used a hybrid diagonal with is 0.965” scope side, 1.25” on the eyepiece side. Or you can get converters which you put a 1.25” diagonal in.

Thanks Stu

I am hoping to make it 1.25 only, the adaptor that John suggest looks a good but not cheap option.

The Skywatcher ST80 shares a lot, same draw tube threads and the same caps etc.  Funny that.
This has allowed me to get a 1.25" fitted temporarily for now to test the scope out.

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

The Skywatcher ST80 shares a lot, same draw tube threads and the same caps etc.  Funny that.
This has allowed me to get a 1.25" fitted temporarily for now to test the scope out.

I didn’t expect that, very handy!

Fitment ordered from our dear friends at FLO earlier today.
The Vixen part not something cobbled together.
At £25 worthwhile buying original kit in my view, this is my pampered 'classic' scope after all.

Archived