First Light: Borg assimilated into Black Ops Astronomy (Night Vision)

alanjgreen

On 24/05/2018 at 13:54, alanjgreen said:

I have never viewed the stated Sagittarius targets in the big dob but I have for example viewed the Crescent nebula with the 6nm Ha filter in big dob and the difference in brightness is HUGE. The Crescent was better than an image, so bright and so much detail, plus the long focal length of big dob gives me scale too.

I can only assume from my own personal use of NV that these Sagittarius targets would move to another level with all the extra brightness and scale on offer from big dob. The detail would be astounding I am sure.

The smaller aperture and smaller focal length offers a wider field of view and this is where I struggled with big dob the other night on North American nebula and Gamma Cygni - they are just too big! You may have a very bright image but you cannot get the whole nebula into the view.

I have viewed all Sagittarius targets in a C11 SCT and I can say that the M16 Eagle for example was a "puff of dust" at best. The M8 Lagoon was too low to get more than a black lane between two bright patches. Now we are into a whole new ball game...

I am lucky to have the best of both worlds.

Alan

Nice report Alan with an unusual set up.

Wait while you turn the big dob on the Sagittarius targets.

I'll get ready to watch for your socks as they'll be like the ISS going over they'll be blown that far.

The crescent in the 22" using the 17E in Skye last year was one of the very best views I've ever had. Framed to perfection at roughly 130x the detail was staggering. Roll on Autumn as we've loads of targets to hit.

Damian 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, mapstar said:

I'll get ready to watch for your socks as they'll be like the ISS going over they'll be blown that far.

The crescent in the 22" using the 17E in Skye last year was one of the very best views I've ever had. Framed to perfection at roughly 130x the detail was staggering. Roll on Autumn as we've loads of targets to hit.

Damian 

@mapstar You may have missed this report?

I was using Big Dob with military Night Vision and got to target the Crescent with a 6nm Ha CCD filter.

The view of the Crescent was "unbelievable" when compared to last year (without night vision and Ha filter) which had been a decent view but Ha brings out nebula to a completely new level of in-yer-face boldness.

I am looking forward to the Milky Way making its swing over the top ...

Alan

4 hours ago, mapstar said:

Damian 

Mate, EVERTHING I saw from Skye was the best I've ever seen. If anyone ever told me that the Crab would look like a photo, I'd have been very dubious, but there it was in all it's glory.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Think the mob need their horizons expanding... ?

PEterW

We've enough on trying to expand everyone else's further than the bottom of their gardens :icon_salut:

3 hours ago, alanjgreen said:

@mapstar You may have missed this report?

I was using Big Dob with military Night Vision and got to target the Crescent with a 6nm Ha CCD filter.

The view of the Crescent was "unbelievable" when compared to last year (without night vision and Ha filter) which had been a decent view but Ha brings out nebula to a completely new level of in-yer-face boldness.

I am looking forward to the Milky Way making its swing over the top ...

Alan

I think with the NV your dob will be acting more like a 40 or 50 inch scope (but without the need for a ladder!). Very very nice...

Archived