SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter: Right here, right now !

John

Absolutely stunning views of Jupiter at the moment :shocked:

I'm using my ED120 refractor at 150x and 180x. These are the best views I've had of Jupiter this year - really striking colouration to the cloud belts. The Great Red Spot is positioned beautifully within it's hollow on the S side of the SEB. The SEB itself has a darker S edge and this darker tone curls around the N side of the GRS hollow. The NEB is complex, dark and has bays and knots along both it's N and S edges. 2 clear festoons arc down from the NEB and curve as they cross the pale Equatorial Zone. The North Temperate Belt is well defined with the North Polar Region above it. Below the SEB the S Temperare Belt crosses the disk and seems to merge with the S edge of the GRS. A moon shadow transit plus a glimpse of a white oval would make my night complete !

What an amazing planet it is :headbang:

Further Note: I've not seen many barges on Jupiter lately, not for the past couple of observing seasons at any rate. Anyone else noticed that ?

jupiterfeatures.jpg

Additional:

Further scrutiny has revealed the S S Temperate Belt and the N N Temperate Belt each divided from the S and N Polar regions respectively by a pale zone. Within the NEB are two lateral darker areas that could in fact be defined as barges of sorts.

The more you look, the more you see :smiley:

Got to agree about the colour and detail last night, I had first light with the CPC800 Edge HD and wen't straight to Jupiter whilst I had a chance at it through my little gap to the south. It wasn't long before I was sticking the camera in the diagonal, hope to get some pics up later.

It was one of those great nights you remember for a long time after. It was also the first time I'd ever managed to detect the whirlpool galaxy in a scope. I could see both cores clear as day with direct vision, and the odd wisp of spiral arm off them!

Great report John!  Glad you got good conditions.  Yeah, I love observing Jupiter (possibly even more than Saturn!)

When I first got my 250px 8-9yrs ago, there were several very obvious deep maroon barges visible, but I agree - I think I've seen only one in the last 3yrs since I got my 15".

It was a beautiful night here, but I could only take a quick peek with my 10".  I threw it out to cool, and viewed with my N13T6 2.5x PM'ed at 185x.  I was too early for the GRS, but there was a large festoon on show.  Seeing was not great, unfortunately, I'd checked that the jet stream was elsewhere.

I haven't caught a good Jupiter yet this year: need to get out more over the coming nights if the conditions are favourable.

8 hours ago, John said:

Absolutely stunning views of Jupiter at the moment :shocked:

I'm using my ED120 refractor at 150x and 180x.

Same across the Severn John! Had the Equinox 120 out, but mostly only achieved 134x mag. I could see conditions improving, however I couldn't stay out past 11pm. Some moments of real clarity, hoping for more of the same tonight...

Did you manage another Jupiter session last night John? I was out until midnight and seeing was good again. Image just about held up at 250x with good moments but more comfortable at 200x. 

Particularly obvious was the pale zone above NEB and fine banding in both temperate belts that you mentioned previously. Both NEB and SEB seemed very quiet to me though, made the planet appear very calm!

I watched Europa advance all night, alas my bed called before transition, which I don't think I would have caught due to trees anyway.

10 hours ago, parallaxerr said:

Did you manage another Jupiter session last night John? I was out until midnight and seeing was good again. Image just about held up at 250x with good moments but more comfortable at 200x...

Yes I did, this time with the Tak FC100DL. Pretty good overall but quieter belt structure and the GRS was on the other side of the planet.

Tonight the Vixen ED102SS gets a go ...... :smiley:

It was beautiful last night so took the telescope out to view Jupiter. Unfortunately my scope was very warm from being inside on what had been a gloriously warm day and it was relatively cool at 12.30 last night. I started with a less than clear view that quickly disintegrated into total obscurity. I don't think it has ever taken so long for my scope to stabilise. It was just becoming usable at about 1.15. A lesson learnt. Get the scope out in plenty of time. :(

I have a very limited window these days before Jove is behind the three, but tonight was the night! GRS transiting and some very good seeing amid city pavement and roofs emitting their stuff. We have full summer mode here switched on.

What I saw tonight was oval following GRS in SEB and a smaller oval hanging vertically above below the NEB. Also aquarel-like details all over. Northern portion is not that great for me the whole season, southern sometimes breaks out in further belts, as opposed to one grey mass. EZ zone is clearly of different colour.

The 'boring side' has festoons and barges and the whole other set of things these days...

Wish I got out C8 tonight, but the balcony is too small...

Yesterday Borg 71 was sufficient to pick up Europa shadow transit. Tak was necessary to see disk transit clearly....seeing was iffy.

1 hour ago, Arcturus D said:

The GRS is very dark red at the moment, as Jupiter is reaching opposition.

A truely great sight.

Viewing in the twilight helps too.

Yes, yes and yes :icon_biggrin:

Archived