NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Scope purchasing Advice

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Nothing celestial is ever as good visually as it is when imaged.

Not true. The views I get visually with white light solar generally exceed all but the very high mag images I see on the forum. The detail visible at high mag in good conditions really is quite staggering.

8 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Ive seen your images. Modesty is so unbecoming of you. Not sure ive seen any of your solar images.

probably pants.:hiding:

Lol honestly the views are cracking. 

3 hours ago, garryblueboy said:

I wouldn't choose the Quark if your new to solar they are great value and give excellent results but not straightforward as a dedicated scope they need power warm up time the image unless 480fl is very close up as there barlowed imaging there great don't be fooled by imaging and visual performance you won't see the detail captured by photography visually I've owned two very nice quarks but prefer the dedicated route also QA is hit miss on them to if your buying secondhand so beware like said you can pick up a nice PST fo less than £500 and the views are very nice or a Lunt 50 for around £700 secondhand 

I was talking along the imaging performance between the quark and lunt..  price point  there's quite a difference ..but is there quite a difference on performance 

24 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

I was talking along the imaging performance between the quark and lunt..  price point  there's quite a difference ..but is there quite a difference on performance 

Sorry to butt in. I misread the earlier comment.. I didnt know you were comparing them against each other in a AP sense.

10 hours ago, newbie alert said:

OP wasn't asking about imaging he said visual I've owned two quarks and the views visually don't match some of the imaging some of the guys on here produce from a Quark  or other sources here is a pic from Altair web site taken through a Starwave 152 I owned this set up and never got visual as  good as this I don't in my Lunt 80 double stack . As for price not that much in it really between a Lunt 50 and a Quark 

IMG_0263.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Well, finally ended up getting a 2nd hand PST with an aluminium case of eyepieces and some coloured filters, for £380 off ebay.  Since having purchased it the sun has been very, very quiet, typically my luck but I must say I'm really enjoying viewing our nearest star and am very glad I made the decision to dip my feet into Solar.   This has potential to get expensive...... 

Thanks for all your replies.

On 18/05/2018 at 12:45, fireballxl5 said:

My experience importing from the USA...

Final_cost = (Price+Shipping) * Import_Duty * VAT

Import_duty for optical/astro gear was 4%, VAT is 20%, this gives $902 for $699 listed price. The importer can/does add an admin fee when you collect.

HTH, Andy

Just seen this as I am in import and export as a freight forwarder: -

Duty@ 4% £24
VAT@20% £123
Shipping@ £54
Purchase Price : $700/£538 based upon an exchange rate of $1.30/£1

Duty is calculated at the cost of the item + Freight Charge then multiplied by the rate.

VAT is calculated by adding the above total figure plus the amount duty, then multiplying by the relevant rate of VAT.

Hope that Helps?

Archived