Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Scope purchasing Advice

Hi, I'm wanting to get in to solar observing but flipin' expensive to purchase a scope in this country.  Nothing is coming up second hand so I am considering at purchasing a Lunt Ha scope from the states new at just over £700 and £65 P@P

(Not checked 're customs add on yet)

At this price it knocks spots of a UK price.  My question is, will this travel alright as I've read that transporting Ha scopes can 'upset' them a bit....?

Anyone have any thoughts or experience?

If I keep waiting for a 2nd hand solarscope to come up it'll be winter...

Thanks Lee

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Horatio said:

Hi, I'm wanting to get in to solar observing but flipin' expensive to purchase a scope in this country.  Nothing is coming up second hand so I am considering at purchasing a Lunt Ha scope from the states new at just over £700 and £65 P@P

(Not checked 're customs add on yet)

At this price it knocks spots of a UK price.  My question is, will this travel alright as I've read that transporting Ha scopes can 'upset' them a bit....?

Anyone have any thoughts or experience?

If I keep waiting for a 2nd hand solarscope to come up it'll be winter...

Thanks Lee

A lot of duty will be added, trying to find out from HMRC how much this will be in advance is nigh on impossible, you can purchase for around the same price here, they travel fine you just need to set it up to your location.

They do come up quite regularly second hand, have you looked on Astro Buy and Sale UK ?

Dave

I'm sure they travel ok, because my Lunt was made in America, and I bought it in the UK!

Agree with Davey they do regularly come up second hand although this would be the worse time of year to buy one if you are looking for a bargain!

Hi guys thanks for the replies.  Yeh I've been checking FB daily on Second hand Astro sites, UK Astro Buy and sell and evry orher site that lists 2nd hand astro sruff...but not come across anything really.  Or if I have, it's been close to the new purchase price like the 2nd hand PST on eBay going for £800 ...loads of watchers on it but they're probably like me seeing if anyone will buy it at that price!

Looks like I might have to turn up  at Solarsphere, solarless....lol

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

A lot of duty will be added, trying to find out from HMRC how much this will be in advance is nigh on impossible, you can purchase for around the same price here, they travel fine you just need to set it up to your location.

They do come up quite regularly second hand, have you looked on Astro Buy and Sale UK ?

Dave

When I've bought from the USA or elsewhere outside the EU, I've found that I needed to allow 20%-25% on top of the purchase price to cover import duty, handling fees etc.

The Lunt models are not directly equivalent to the PST.

The nearest Lunt would probably be a Lunt 50. 

Both use internal (smaller) etalons with similar bandwidths (0.7 to 1A)

Point of note: the PST was designed as a visual instrument, making it difficult at times to fit a camera, whereas the Lunt is more flexible.

The import duty etc really racks up the overall cost. When I bought my Quark from the States, the customs cost was about 350 euros. Then I had to find a broker who issued a customs clearance certificate. That was another 50 euros. 

FLO (see above) are going to start selling Quarks. Hang off a bit and see what price the put on them. 

Import duty will be as John said around 22-25% I’m sure if you put up a wanted add you will get some offers I’d say get a PST or Lunt 50 to try out it’s not for everyone i got hooked and love it it’s costly but worth it to me solar gear holds it price well as there is not as many used ones as regular Astro scopes 

The Lunt 50 doesn’t hold it’s value that well so possible to get a good deal on a used one. I had one and sold it after a few months. Just never got on with it. Liked my PST though despite it’s limitations. Was always a pleasure to use.

S/H PSTs Have gone up a lot lately though Not long ago S/H ones went for 300 quid but no longer. The Lunt 35 is more or less equiveant to the PST but haven’t seen one for sale in a while.

Thanks guys for the honest responses, given me a lot to think about.  So I have decided better off buying 2nd hand from the UK if I can find a Lunt50 or PST going, rather than new from abroad.  (Or alternatively wait to see about the Quark price, would ideally need to see this in action first)

1 hour ago, Horatio said:

Thanks guys for the honest responses, given me a lot to think about.  So I have decided better off buying 2nd hand from the UK if I can find a Lunt50 or PST going, rather than new from abroad.  (Or alternatively wait to see about the Quark price, would ideally need to see this in action first)

Take a look at the Imaging Solar section of SGL. Lots of great Ha images posted, so it gives you an indication of the performance. Google vids of "Quark Ha filter".

My experience importing from the USA...

Final_cost = (Price+Shipping) * Import_Duty * VAT

Import_duty for optical/astro gear was 4%, VAT is 20%, this gives $902 for $699 listed price. The importer can/does add an admin fee when you collect.

HTH, Andy

8 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Imported Quark from America:

Quark: 1050 euros

VAT+duty combined(and post office handy fees) : 300 euros

Customs certificate: 50 euros

Thankfully Irish customs don't bother sometimes (VAT or Duty);)

7 hours ago, niallk said:

Thankfully Irish customs don't bother sometimes (VAT or Duty);)

Anything over a certain amount tends to catch their eye. I think anything below 40 euros is exempt. The higher the item price, the more VAT+duty (obviously). 

5 hours ago, newbie alert said:

If it was me looking I'd seriously look at the quark..depending if you already have a frac to use it with..seen some astonishing images done with it..are the lunt that much better?

The reason I went for the Quark is because I had a small 70mm frac already and was already using it for WL. Didn't need another scope taking up space. However I'll be upgrading the frac soon with this 50mm. I just have to be sure it will go on my Horizon 8115 tripod. I have a couple of quick release base plates for the tripod,or it may just sit in the tripod without one. 

Here's the plate I have

imageproxy.jpeg

horizon_quick_release_plate.jpg

8 hours ago, newbie alert said:

If it was me looking I'd seriously look at the quark..depending if you already have a frac to use it with..seen some astonishing images done with it..are the lunt that much better?

I wouldn't choose the Quark if your new to solar they are great value and give excellent results but not straightforward as a dedicated scope they need power warm up time the image unless 480fl is very close up as there barlowed imaging there great don't be fooled by imaging and visual performance you won't see the detail captured by photography visually I've owned two very nice quarks but prefer the dedicated route also QA is hit miss on them to if your buying secondhand so beware like said you can pick up a nice PST fo less than £500 and the views are very nice or a Lunt 50 for around £700 secondhand 

1 hour ago, garryblueboy said:

I wouldn't choose the Quark if your new to solar they are great value and give excellent results but not straightforward as a dedicated scope they need power warm up time the image unless 480fl is very close up as there barlowed imaging there great don't be fooled by imaging and visual performance you won't see the detail captured by photography visually I've owned two very nice quarks but prefer the dedicated route also QA is hit miss on them to if your buying secondhand so beware like said you can pick up a nice PST fo less than £500 and the views are very nice or a Lunt 50 for around £700 secondhand 

Nothing celestial is ever as good visually as it is when imaged.

Archived