SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging Challenge #14 - Planets

The theme for the fourteenth challenge - May 2018 - is Planets!

Start Date: 1st May 2018
End Date: 31st July 2018

Rules: The theme this time is planets - Jupiter is in opposition in May, Saturn is looking good for June and Mars is a potential target for July! Have fun :)

Prize: £100 of FLO gift vouchers to buy some goodies with! Kindly provided by our sponsors FLO :) and a virtual trophy for your signature.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please start a new topic for each entry. 
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

--

To enter please start a new topic with your image in the ‘Imaging Challenge #14 forum (each challenge will have it’s own). Please post as much information as possible - when it was taken, how it was captured and processed, etc. The info won't necessarily be used for judging but will help fellow SGLers looking to learn and improve their knowledge and technique.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Ending on the 31st May is a bit early since Mars will be at the best position to image (and view) last week in July AND 1st week in August.

Ends on 31st July, so it will cover opposition of Mars.

This evening I set up in the front garden in the hope of getting venus... it eventually appeared, and if I had moved the scope so it appeared to be pointing at the next door neighbour's front bedroom I might have had 10 minutes on the planet before the tree ate it.

Really annoying as it is fairly well up - tomorrow I might try driving to a flat field somewhere.

• 1 month later...
On 07/05/2018 at 17:39, happy-kat said:

Same, image capture, processing, submission all within the dates. The submission folder closes at the end of the challenge period.

I'm in... I guess I'll have to process as soon as I grab any decent data... I'm hoping for a good Mars toward the end of July, although that dust storm is a bit worrying.... on another thought, it might make for an interesting image.

1 hour ago, Andywilliams said:

To enter....I publish my picture as a new topic on this page? Sorry.....newbie question ! 

No! Each entry must be a new topic per image.

For future competitions it seems they will be in a gallery instead.

Sorry to appear dim then....but does the fact that I’ve started this image as a topic in the planetary imaging thread mean that it’s automatically entered into the comp?.....sorry for not quite grasping this ?

• 4 weeks later...

I am using Sharpcap 3.1 

Do you have any recomendations for programs I should be using?

I also use G.I.M.P. on my images to clean them up a bit... 

Edited by FoeTawN

10 hours ago, FoeTawN said:

I am using Sharpcap 3.1 

Do you have any recomendations for programs I should be using?

I also use G.I.M.P. on my images to clean them up a bit... 

Probably best if you start a new thread - this one isn't for detailed discussion of image processing, but in GIMP try colours, auto, stretch contrast and make sure 'preserve colours' isn't checked.