SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Astro Physics 92mm stowaway released

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Nice!

<<Price: To be determined>>  I suppose it's case of "if you have to ask, you can't afford it"!

To be determined (once they’ve seen how much demand there is for this scope???) 

The notification list has started from scratch so for the people who got their name down yesterday the wait times will be a lot less than the typical 10 years.

Speculation in the US is that the price will be between $3.5k and $5k. 

10 hours ago, GavStar said:

AP has just confirmed that this scope will be using Hoya FCD100 glass rather than FPL-53..

...AP not using FPL51 then?

Cue another debate on glass types  :wink:

Sorry, a bit naughty :happy7:

On 19/04/2018 at 09:23, JeremyS said:

...AP not using FPL51 then?

Cue another debate on glass types  :wink:

Sorry, a bit naughty :happy7:

Can't wait to see the debate about that over on CN! </sarcasm>

Wonder if this will encourage Baader to produce another run of their travel companion?  The ability to take my scope abroad in the overhead locker has transformed by astronomy. Given the less than great weather we've had this Winter etc....

Chris

The debate already kicked off. The reality is that Roland at Astrophysics could make a better refractor out of the bottoms of coke bottles than anyone on the threads who worries about what glass is used.

if I didn’t already have 6 scopes and a seventh on the way I would have put my name down on that list.

6 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

The debate already kicked off. The reality is that Roland at Astrophysics could make a better refractor out of the bottoms of coke bottles than anyone on the threads who worries about what glass is used.

if I didn’t already have 6 scopes and a seventh on the way I would have put my name down on that list.

If you don't mind? what scope do you have on the way, Matthew? Always exciting to get a new scope :) 

On 18/04/2018 at 22:33, GavStar said:

Interestingly AP has just confirmed that this scope will be using Hoya FCD100 glass rather than FPL-53...

That FCD100 glass does seem to be taken the batten from FPL53. ES use it on their 'premium Apo's'  which have a very high Strehl. 

As long as it's mated well with the other elements, in a well engineered cell, in a well baffled tube, with a good figure, then I wouldn't mind whether it's FCD or FPL :) 

33 minutes ago, Lockie said:

If you don't mind? what scope do you have on the way, Matthew? Always exciting to get a new scope :) 

I fell “victim” to an offer of a scope I have wanted for years with the recent final sales on LZOS scopes as the sub 7” scope production comes to an end.

The scope in question is the APM LZOS 130 f/9.2. What twisted my arm was the availability of a lens with a measured strehl of 0.992. Expect it to arrive in the next few weeks.

25 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

I fell “victim” to an offer of a scope I have wanted for years with the recent final sales on LZOS scopes as the sub 7” scope production comes to an end.

The scope in question is the APM LZOS 130 f/9.2. What twisted my arm was the availability of a lens with a measured strehl of 0.992. Expect it to arrive in the next few weeks.

Wow, pretty much perfection! congratulations :) 

The 92mm looks cracking, although I think I would prefer it as an f5.5. If funds ever come my way I think I would go for the slightly more obtainable (for me) AstroTech 92mm f5.5. Airline portable and lovely widefield views.

1 hour ago, Cjg said:

Suspect Im way too late, but have added my name to that list. Similar size weight & to the Tak but slightly more aperture...I'll take that.

Thanks @GavStar for the tip off.

Chris

I got my name on the list 12 hours after it was released but suspect I’m way too late as well ....

22 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

Excellent!

Olly

Wow! They closed the list. 

"Delivery: The 92mm Stowaway is not available immediatley and the notification list is now closed due to the very high demand for this scope. We are not accepting additional names at this time. Price and delivery information will be available later in 2018."

15 pages of discussion on cloudy nights, some of it quite heated too! 

For Europeans I think there may be the possibility of getting this scope from dealers such as Baader or Skypoint. I got my ap 130GTX from skypoint last year. They had it in stock so there was no wait.

Also the Baader travel companion is being made again - a member on here got one last November. According to the Baader Facebook page there is about a six month lead time. The Baader is shorter than the AP and fluorite and f5.9 so in some ways more attractive.

• 4 months later...

So the price of the AP stowaway has just been posted up at $3.5k so cheaper than a lot of cloudynights posters thought.

But AP uncovered a stowaway list from 1999-2002 which means it’s likely very few people who registered in April will get offered one. However another run is in the pipeline for next year...

On 12/09/2018 at 18:32, GavStar said:

But AP uncovered a stowaway list from 1999-2002 which means it’s likely very few people who registered in April will get offered one. However another run is in the pipeline for next year...

Interesting! I'm on the original list (signed up in either 2000 or 2001, and long since gave up hope of ever getting notified for a Stowaway or a 160EDF) so fingers crossed I might get lucky - would be a very pleasant surprise!

Archived