Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Had a trip to see Mum, sadly no decent clear weather so just got to handle my ST80. I do very much like this scope, it's looking great in white of the Orion branding. 

This is the terrestrial flavor so came with a 45° erect image diagonal and a fitted mini dove bar with three camera tripod threads (shown). I have the baader helical fitting as my focuser upgrade (not shown) and have blackened and black edged the lenses. 

The telescope also came with a nice padded Orion carrying bag which has the main body plus several compartments and zipped pockets (shown behind the telescope)

15231235772423.thumb.jpg.2e6286290584cb41a8b61f821123822a.jpg

I have two, this afternoon I made them into a binocular by grafting the prism/eyepiece housing from a 10x50 body to them. Makes around a 25x80 with better optics than those normally found on 80mm units.   :icon_biggrin:

3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Will you be sharing a picture of your creation Peter?

Yes.  :icon_biggrin:  The binocular body is from a Bresser badged 10x50 Lidl special. It is an early one with the wide angle eyepieces. The grooved bracket holds the two ST 80's in rigid alignment once the grooves have been filed to achieve it. The purpose of the rig was to make a line of sight binocular with terrestrial orientation to use on my binocular chair. The IPD is fixed to suit me, focusing can be via the two R & P's or the centre focus on the OTA's. The same principle can be applied up to 120mm aperture.  

001.JPG

002.JPG

On 07/04/2018 at 19:37, happy-kat said:

Aren't they.

I just love the way it feels it's quite heavy and feels quality rather than budget.

Mine has been (literally) all over the world with me. I pack the tabletop eq1 in my main bags and carry Stacie and my eps in the SW bag as hand luggage.

Even my missus was impressed when she saw Saturn from a balcony in Morocco - she didn’t even mind being woken at 4am by a giddy husband! ?

Im about to add another dovetail so I can use her at home on my HEQ5 for some imaging too.

Gotta love ST80s!!

Archived