Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Owl Nebula with ED80 and DSLR

tooth_dr

Pretty pleased with this one, I'm getting my way through the Messiers rightly.  I had imaged M108 several years ago, and had no idea that M97 was so nearby!

Here is my effort with my trusty ED80, DSLRs, 300s exposures.  It's part of a widefield image, this is a crop.

Thanks for looking.

m97_drizzle_2x_8.jpg

Lovely image. It’s funny, I was browsing SkySafari yesterday and made the same discovery about them being close together.

You must have had good seeing and spot on focus for the detail in the Owl. I might try this little chap tomorrow night - looks like it’s going to be clear.

Barry

5 minutes ago, EyeGuy said:

Lovely image. It’s funny, I was browsing SkySafari yesterday and made the same discovery about them being close together.

You must have had good seeing and spot on focus for the detail in the Owl. I might try this little chap tomorrow night - looks like it’s going to be clear.

Barry

Cheers Barry

Yes it was a good night where everything worked as well as it ever has!  There was a bright 50%+ moon.

Here is the widefield version:>>> need to work on my processing :confused2:

M97_M108_widefield.jpg

9 minutes ago, EyeGuy said:

Do you think M108 could take a bit of mild unsharp mask? Maybe wavelets? You have a fair bit of data there.

Barry

Thanks Barry. There is just over 12 hours of data, but focal length a bit of the short side 

4 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Barry. There is 12.167 hours of data 

Wow. That’s commitment. The dual scope setup really makes sense for that kind of integration time. V impressed. 

Barry

3 minutes ago, EyeGuy said:

Wow. That’s commitment. The dual scope setup really makes sense for that kind of integration time. V impressed. 

Barry

Thanks Barry. Yes it’s brilliant for the limited clear skies we get, and very easily run off APT software.

Adam. 

54 minutes ago, stevewanstall said:

Your image compares VERY favourably with this one https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090515.html. I shall have to try this with my ED80 if the clouds ever clear for more than an hour !

Thank-you Steve. I can see faint galaxies, and even some colour in the orange star within the Owl. I’m not often happy but this for me is a good result. 

Nice framing--these are 2 targets that really work well together--and they are so different.  Nice details in the galaxy.  And you can easilly see teh 3 stars of the Owl.

Rodd

Thanks all! 

43 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

I think i like the widefield better too. Both lovely images. You have that dual rig singing.

Richard, it’s working well. Just a bit of positional fine tuning to do when the evenings get too light to image and I’ll be ready for Autumn. 

This looks great Adam. The dual rig is a great idea of capturing data quickly. Well done for getting that setup and running so well.  

I like both. They're different enough that they both deserve a place at the table in my book :tongue2:

ps - I'm curious. How do you handle your dithering if you're running 2 cameras? 

Archived