Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First sunspot

domstar

Wow. I've just seen my first sunspot and I like it. Thanks to @Bizibilder for the info on solen.info. I'm really excited. Amazing, visually interesting and it takes just a little bit of work to find and observe. Sitting at the scope in a t-shirt in the sunshine is also a lovely feeling-I might have to find a new observing site as the weather warms up. I'm thrilled. I think I might be a convert. Happy holidays (if you've got one today).

Congrats on seeing your first Sunspot. I saw Charl's heads up notice this morning though there is nothing but heavy rain here in Poole.

You'll soon be well and truly hooked, the views in White Light can be spectacular.

Ade

1 hour ago, domstar said:

Wow. I've just seen my first sunspot and I like it. Thanks to @Bizibilder for the info on solen.info. I'm really excited. Amazing, visually interesting and it takes just a little bit of work to find and observe. Sitting at the scope in a t-shirt in the sunshine is also a lovely feeling-I might have to find a new observing site as the weather warms up. I'm thrilled. I think I might be a convert. Happy holidays (if you've got one today).

Enjoy it - there won't be many for a while, I'm afraid!

9 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Were you just using a solar filter?

Whisper it, but it was a cheapo full aperture filter from ebay (I checked it worked before I used it). Less than a fiver in an auction. I think the next purchase will be a Herschel wedge then the solar continuum filter, then a dedicated Ha scope then a double whatsit then the world Ha ha ha (manic laugh). I nearly forgot the binoviewers.

20 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

(They always remind me of frogspawn!)

That reminds me. It must be toad mating week very soon at a nearby pond. A sight not to be missed. Getting some spawn and watching it develop is a joy and education similar to stargazing. We've done it for the last three or four years but it had completely slipped my mind this year. Sorry, I should probably post this on froggazerslounge instead.

51 minutes ago, domstar said:

That reminds me. It must be toad mating week very soon at a nearby pond. A sight not to be missed. Getting some spawn and watching it develop is a joy and education similar to stargazing. We've done it for the last three or four years but it had completely slipped my mind this year. Sorry, I should probably post this on froggazerslounge instead.

Might sign up for that - probably a lot cheaper than stargazing!

Doug.

Archived