Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Platesolving in APT

2 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

I will have to read-up on APT's handling of eqmod

Is just uses the mounts Ascom interface as per EQMOD - so you choose "EQMOD" in the ascom drop down selector - which you are most likely if you use PHD2 or similar. The joy of Ascom std. Hope your new "kit" and we wont hold it against you as the clouds always seem to roll in  anyway in the UK :sad2:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/03/2018 at 14:44, spillage said:

I'm trying to have a look at these, but when I download the '100 best' link, unzip it and double click on the resultant file, all it does is open a blank internet explorer page.

I presume it should be doing something more than that .... ?

Thanks.

The trouble is I am trying to find out how the file is written, so that I can produce one for the targets I want (rather than just use a 'one size fits all' ready-made file). Let me put it this way, there are targets I intend going after that are not in Burnham, so even that option is not going to give me what I need. So I need to know the data that needs to be included, the format it should occupy, whether it wants J2000 or JNOW coordinates (my eqmod is set to use JNOW, to match CdC), etc.

TBH, if it is going to be a lot of hard work getting this, I will probably be better off just sticking with CdC.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Objects>

<Obj>
        <Object>Sh2-274</Object>
        <NameNotes>Medusa Nebula</NameNotes>
        <Type>EN</Type>
        <Const>Gem</Const>
        <Mag>999.00</Mag>
        <Size>8</Size>
        <RA>07:29:06.4</RA>
        <DEC>13:15:42.8</DEC>
        <Angle></Angle>
    </Obj>
</Objects>

This is how it looks, so you just keep adding <Obj> to the list.

You can just add an object to the "to do list" as this may be easier.

Thanks.

Doing a quick comparison of the data with CdC, it looks as if RA/Dec are more-or-less the mean J2000 figures - but not totally so, some of them showing significant discrepencies. I will have to have a think about my best way forward, but thanks for your help getting this far.

Can i borrow the topic a bit? I got platesolving to work with the stand akone program asps, but can't make it work inside apt, camera is set, focal length too. Also the locations for both platesolvers are set too.  Is there anything else needed? 

The easiest program to use to view an xml file, is the good old Notepad. The formatting may be wrong, but at least you should be able to view the contents. A great step up from Notepad would be Notepad++, which will fix the formatting issues.....

1 hour ago, Atreta said:

can't make it work inside apt, camera is set, focal length too 

Not sure if this is relevant, but you have to set the focal length inside APT, as well as in All Sky Plate Solver.  Somewhat counterintuitively this setting  is on the Tools tab.  

Sorry if you already know this...  

4 hours ago, almcl said:

Not sure if this is relevant, but you have to set the focal length inside APT, as well as in All Sky Plate Solver.  Somewhat counterintuitively this setting  is on the Tools tab.  

Sorry if you already know this...  

thanks, got the blind solve working. The settings were correct but i was trying to blind solve with the stand alone asps also opened, i went to apt forum and saw a post from Themos that said this could cause it to not work. When i closed the stand alone program it solved within about 15 seconds.

this is the apt forum link: http://aptforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=618

Archived