NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scope advice for imaging

Thanks to all the advice received I have not rushed into buying any astrophotography equipment yet but want to start getting bits in as I can afford. In the meantime I will carry on observing and learning where things are using my 2nd hand Dob (when cloud cover allows :hmh:).

As I am more than a novice I am not going all out with expensive equipment but decided to spend a fair bit on the mount and pretty much decided on:

Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO Synscan

Is it worth getting the belt mod done or just do this at a later date when funds allow?

Regarding scope I had pretty much set my sights on:

Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro Outfit

With a guide camera (what do I need to adapt the camera to the guidescope?):

Altair Astro GPCAM v2 Mono AR0130 Mono Guide Imaging Camera

Together with a Cannon DSLR camera, not decided which yet.

I know this is not the full list but I would like your opinions on my choice so far and if you would recommend something different around similar price range. Also what other imediate equipment would I need to get.

Whilst I was looking around for best prices (although generally FLO and RVO seem about as good as anywhere) I found this scope and guidescope / camera bundle I now quite fancy.

William Optics Zenithstar 73 ED APO With 50mm Guidescope & Altair GPCAM v2

This works out a bit more expensive and I would need to buy a flight case on top but is it appreciably better quality to justify the extra?

Sorry for all the questions, and I am afraid they won't be the last - sorry.

Steve

Hello Steve,

I am by no means an expert having only been imaging for 18 months but I will make a couple of observations based on my own experience.

I purchased an NEQ6 - I find it works just fine for my needs and have not felt the need to carry out a belt mod. (I have recently started NB and find I can reliably achieve 600s subs - using PHD2).

I also bought the ED80DS-Pro. This is a great scope but two things caused me problems. The focus unit was not up to holding the weight of a dslr or an Atik 414ex; I tried all manner of adjustment but in the end I bought a Baader Diamond Track and solved the problems immediately. I also used the suppled finder scope as a guide scope but found it frustrating trying to focus it for use with an ZWO ASI120MM-S; I upgraded recently to the new SW dedicated guide scope and realised an immediate improvement in guiding. I also initially bought a colour GPCAM-IMX224 - it worked well but I have to say a mono camera worked better for me and I have been very happy with my guiding performance.

I also started with a Canon 70D (unmodified). I was delighted with my first images of Andromeda and M42 - just blown away - but once I started trying to image more challenging targets (like M33 and M101) I realised I needed to either get the 70D modified or buy a dedicated camera - I went for an Atik 414ex-osc. It is perhaps not the perfect match for the ED80DS but again I have been very pleased with the results. (To be honest I was a little troubled the first time I brought my precious 70D in after an night of imaging and it was absolutely soaking wet with dew!)

I know others have not experienced the same problems with the focus unit and have used the stock finder with no problems; I stress this is just my personal experience. Would I recommend the ED80DS - most certainly - it is a great scope for the money. I am glad I bought the NEQ6 though because I now image with two scopes (ED80DS and a WO-ZS71) and the NEQ6 has no problem at all with the extra payload.

When you finally start imaging I hope it gives you as much pleasure as it has given me. My images are very modest compared with those achieved by many on this forum but I am still really pleased with what I've achieved with my modest equipment - pleased but I am sure I can do better - once I've mastered processing!

As an aside I use both PI and PS for processing. It is really worth the effort learning to use both packages - both have their strengths. PI is great for calibrating, registering and stacking. I also really like the noise reduction capability of PI. Combining LRGB and manipulating colour I find is easier in PS using layers and masks. Others I know only use PS and other only use PI - ones man's meat is another man's poison!

Good luck!

I hope my ramblings have been of help.

Adrian

With regards to the bundle you linked I'd give Ianking a call about this and ask if the image is what's for sale since the image includes a guide scope and it comes with a flattener aswell which you'll need. 

http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_product.php?id=1777

Even with buying a separate guide camera, it'll still work out cheaper than the RVO bundle

2 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Good luck!

I hope my ramblings have been of help.

Adrian

Adrian,

Many thanks for your in depth view of your experience with similar equipment, it is really helpful.

Regarding the "Good luck" thanks as it looks like I will need some and I certainly wouldn't call them "ramblings".

Many thanks

Steve

2 hours ago, geordie85 said:

With regards to the bundle you linked I'd give Ianking a call about this and ask if the image is what's for sale since the image includes a guide scope and it comes with a flattener aswell which you'll need. 

Even with buying a separate guide camera, it'll still work out cheaper than the RVO bundle

Many thanks for the link, a very interesting web site I had forgotten about. I did find it earlier on when I first started looking but forgot to put it in my favorites and so did not include it when searching for equipment.

Steve

On 3/9/2018 at 23:36, geordie85 said:

Hi,

It doesn't come with the guide scope but I thought it was a very good price all the same so I bought it. Many thanks for the link.

Steve

12 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Must admit I quite fancy the 600D myself. Thought I may try to get one under £200 on Ebay and then get it modded but maybe getting it off this website would mean more chance of getting a good reliable camera and that would be preferable to saving £50 or so.

Steve

Yeah initially I was looking for a used Nikon D5300, but they are quite expensive to mod. I was lurking on ebay as well for a used Canon, but found that with the cost of the camera, mod and shipping (to and from Denmark) I was better off getting it in one go. Maybe you can save some if you are in the UK.

Juan does come recommended and although all I've done with my camera yet is to build dark and bias master, it looks absolutely spotless. No visual signs of use at all.. Can't wait to first light it. ?

I have a couple of standard EQ sixes to lend to guests, unmodded, and they do fine. They are getting on for ten years old. 

The standard HEQ5 is no less accurate. Before fixing it I'd be inclined to see if it needs fixing...

I think your original list looks good.

Olly

Your choice of gear is sound, but dont forget the 0.85x ff/fr for the 80ed (its essential IMO). The only thing I might change is the guide cam, I'd probably opt for a QHY5-II (being as mine - the Mk1 is now discontinued). I've had mine for at least 7 years now and its been pretty solid. But that choice for me is just down to personal preference.

1 minute ago, Uranium235 said:

Your choice of gear is sound, but dont forget the 0.85x ff/fr for the 80ed (its essential IMO). The only thing I might change is the guide cam, I'd probably opt for a QHY5-II (being as mine - the Mk1 is now discontinued). I've had mine for at least 7 years now and its been pretty solid. But that choice for me is just down to personal preference.

Thanks for that. I have actually gone for the WO ZS73 that came with flattener, I thought it was a good price from Ian King. Hope I don't regret it.

ZS73

But still not sorted the guidescope + camera. So is this the one you are on about?

QHY 5-II MONOCHROME Planetary and Guide CMOS Camera

Yep, thats the one, however the ZWO are quite popular too - but I cant see where you mentioned what guidescope you will be using. A good choice at your focal length is a finderguider - its basically a 9x50 finderscope with the rear removed and a guide cam screwed in. Or you can get kits like this to make it simple:

Mini:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/guide-cameras/mini-guide-scope-bundle.html

A normal 9x50:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/guide-cameras/sky-watcher-evoguide-50ed-guidescope-zwo-asi120mm-bundle.html

But... its best to mount the guider (and its shoe) on a dovetail attached to the top of the tube rings - because if its off to one side (like a normal finder shoe) it will throw off the balance... plus id attach it with stronger hex bolts to minimise flex.

If you already have a 9x50, then great! All you need is the adaptor and the guide cam.

Adaptor here:

https://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/accessories/adapters/sky-watcher-clones-to-t-thread-adapter-for-straight-through-finders/

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

I have a couple of standard EQ sixes to lend to guests, unmodded, and they do fine. They are getting on for ten years old. 

The standard HEQ5 is no less accurate. Before fixing it I'd be inclined to see if it needs fixing...

I think your original list looks good.

Olly

Agreed - despite owning an AZ-EQ6, my favourite image was captured with a well-used HEQ5.

Of course dark skies and a CCD make a difference but, at 400 mm focal length, I only discarded about 5% of my subs. And that was near the zenith, where "cheaper" equatorial mounts get a bit iffy.

https://www.astrobin.com/270715/0/?nc=user

31 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Could I get away with something as cheap as this to adapt as a guidescope?

Finderscope

Hi,

This is exactly what I use, along with a ZWO 224, and it works well for 5min subs with PHD2. Anything longer and the LP fogs it out, but I suspect it would go much longer in a darker site. I'm using an unmodded HEQ5 which is sounds ropey but works fine

Archived