Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

facts

alecras2345

Hi I'm trying to teach myself various facts about the objects within our solar system by looking at the Nasa website.  I'm not sure what facts to take,  I know the distance is good to know, how long is a planets orbit, how long a planets rotation period is but what other facts should i know?  Here are the facts i've got about the moon.  Any other facts i should add?   I have started facts on the moon from https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/moons/e...moon/overview/ . Do these sound ok, do i need to add important facts?

Earth/Moon distance approx– 238,855 miles
Moving about an inch further away from earth each year
Synchronous rotation – Same side always faces Earth
Orbit – 27 days
No atmosphere
Lunar eclipse – moon passes into Earths shadow during full moon
Diameter – 2,158 miles

In regards the moon . Loads of facts out there. A good moon map would be a good addition for you. So you can learn the parts of the moon as you look at it . There's numerous sea's on the moon. Loads of craters , mountains ect ect ,

So a good moon map with all the parts named would be useful for you. So when you look through the telescope you know what you are looking at also useful to explain to others what you have seen.

Also the SGL site has a lot on lunar and planetary observing and advice in the post's on here. Keep reading this site and the knowledge will come with time.

I hope this helps☺

Here's a good one for you young chap:

The Moon is about 400 times smaller than the Sun, but it also just happens to be about 400 times closer to Earth. The result is that from Earth, they appear to be the same size.

Hope that helps :)

How do these sound about the moon?  

Earth/Moon distance approx– 238,855

Synchronous rotation – Same side always faces Earth

Orbit – 27.3 days

Elliptical orbit

Exosphere – Very thin  atmosphere

moon Diameter – 2,158 miles

Lunar eclipse – moon passes into Earths shadow

Affects tides on Earth

1 hour ago, alecras2345 said:

How do these sound about the moon?  

I read that it is about 1&1/2 inches, 38.08±0.04 mm/yr

I have no means to verify this, and you know what they say about believing all one reads :)

That error bound of ±0.04 raises a further question, how accurate do you need these facts to be ?

16 hours ago, saac said:

I'm not one of them.:hiding:

ok I'll get my hat and coat ;) 

In my dreams :thumbsup:

ok , I'll get my umbrella , , , 

7 hours ago, SilverAstro said:

I read that it is about 1&1/2 inches, 38.08±0.04 mm/yr

I have no means to verify this, and you know what they say about believing all one reads

I don't know which website, but there's a professional obsy in the states that shines a laser up to reflectors on the moons surface (left there from moon landings) and measures the time for the beam to return to Earth, in order to extrapolate the average distance moved over a year. It's more verifiable than one might think. :)

(Might be the Keck observatory iirc - or something like that lol)

12 minutes ago, brantuk said:

It's more verifiable than one might think. :)

Absolutely ! McDonald Obsy  or similar name, still? ranging the retro reflectors,

I fear you missed my tongue-in-cheek attempt at humour   - I said   did not have the means ie. my own hardware ! to verify ! :)

3 hours ago, SilverAstro said:

I fear you missed my tongue-in-cheek attempt at humour

D'ohhhh.... yep I think I musta been a bit dozy missing that. A niggle in the back of my mind did suggest something wasn't quite right as I wrote it  lol. :)

4 minutes ago, brantuk said:

lol. :)

:thumbsup: No worries, my use of text is not the most fathomable at times :)  (that is an understatement and a half !!) and it did give us the opportunity to refresh our memories of those Apollo retroreflectors being taken there, and that they are still in use !

Archived