Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Jayjaymasterman

Webcam

Hi I have set up a webcam for my telescope.

The problem I have is on my laptop the view is a small circle due to the tunneling effect.

It' that small it' hard to see on my laptop.

Is there a way to fix this or is it a case of cropping/zooming once I've taken a image.

As you can se from my pic I've just aimed at a light in the house and this is how big my pic is on screen 

20180201_171827.jpg

Hello and welcome to SGL. The image should be bigger than that. What telescope do you have and how are you attaching the webcam to the telescope. A photo or two of the setup might help.

Its a basic hd webcam with a webam telescope adapter I took the webam apart and removed the lense.

The adapter has a built in filter.

I then placed the webcam into my barlow.

Soon as I do this my screen pic shrinks like I'm taking a pic down a tube.

My telescope is a mede 60mm

And

With that combination the Moon should fill the entire image.

Try using this field of view calculator . Select your telescope from the pull down lists or enter the focal length and aperture in the boxes. Also select an appropriate camera and object (solar system) and then press "Add to View". An image of the moon will appear overlaid with a box showing the field of view.

I misread your original post. With the webcam's lens removed you should only see a blank grey image until it is inserted into the barlow, the webcam can't form an image without a lens. If the lens is attached the camera will see down the tube of the telescope (tunnel effect). It appears that the lens is still on the webcam.

An IR filter is usually incorporated into the webcam's lens.  Your nosepiece adapter has a built in ir filter so you should be ok with that.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dazzyt66
      I guess a year or so ago I bought one of these from Amazon:
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andoer-Webcam-Camera-Desktop-Computer/dp/B00CDJKNNK
      Today (finally) I decided to try it with my ST80 and Sharpcap. Wow! The images I got back from it after removing the lens and adding an old ep barrel were good (on a terrestrial test) with really clear images. Just need a cloud free night now to try it out!
      This camera comes apart by undoing 4 screws and with a slight mod to the silver trim and some glue it was a real easy job. If it returns some good planetary pics I’ll be well impressed for £2.99!!

• By Adaaam75
      Members,
      Trying to get my head around imaging with a DSLR and read that a WEBCAM is actually better for planetary targets due to file size and weight therefore, can I hypothetically use a DSLR afocally but on the record video setting and still separate the frames afterwards, edit and stack? Or would they be too large?
      9.25 AVX with Canon 550d Rebel2.
    • By RolandKol
      Hi guys,

I have Skywatcher DOB 250 Flexitube GOTO and recently noticed HD webcam in my friend's place...
      (AUSDOM AW615 1080P Full HD 12.0M USB2.0)

So I received it for few of beers and managed to place it into 1.25' EP holder without any struggle.

I haven't removed any filters from webcam, just wanted to see if it will fit in and it did, so I was really happy, but...

(unfortunately word "but" always comes after word "happy"),

but... the only thing I can see on the screen is my Primary and Secondary mirrors
      I think, this webcam would be perfect for collimation however, what to do next? 
      I want to see something more than just mirrors, - Moon and Jupiter maybe...
      I tried to attach 2'' adaptor which comes by default with the telescope to increase the distance between mirrors and webcam... the result is the same.

I also used flexitube ability to shorten the tube and reduce Focal length, - no result, just the size of the image is different.

Should I try Barlow?

• By assasincz
      It has been too long since I contributed anything to the forum, so I thought to share with you my latest try in planetary astrophotography.
      Actually it is my first try with SW 300p Goto Flextube dobsonian which I recently acquired. I wanted to try out how the system tracks for webcam astrophotography, which is my second point of interest after visual observing. In short - it tracked quite well - no jerkyness in tracking, very smooth, stable and centred for a long time, and I am also very happy with my old motor focus which helped me out tremendously. The conditions were very poor though, and the resulting picture is heavily post-processed. At least it managed to capture the colour quite nicely.
      For caputre, I use a modified Prestigion PWC2 webcam, Baader 2.25x barlow and UV/IR-cut filter. 
      You can see the imaging setup in the second picture. 

• By romx
      Which model of ms lifecam do people recommend for modifying for astro usage?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.